Nissan nv200 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nissan nv200 conversion

The conversion is well underway by Drivelodge of Keighley. The photos indicate a lot of thought has gone into the traditional "VW style" side cupboard conversion. I would definitely recommend the Nissan NV200 as a possible base vehicle. It is only slightly smaller internally than a SWB VW and although I agree that on such a small van this can make major changes in comfort and usablilty, the possible low fuel consumption, superb equipment levels on the base vehicle and day to day feasibility make it a strong contender. There are no reports, as yet of any reliability issues with NV200 which came to UK in 2009. Ours has 6 sp gearbox, air-con, elec windows and reversing camera. Nissan got our order wrong and so it came without the N-Tec sat nav or cruise control. ( very annoying !)
    We have sourced 2 companies who have cruise control kits for retrofitting to NV200. Sorry Nissan, it can be done, despite what your service people say.
    "Our" version will have a raising roof, hinged at the cab end. Two swivel cab seats. A Smev gas hob and washbasin. Refillable gas bottle ( as I hate sepending too much on gas) for the blown air gas heating. Cannot wait to get the finished Kamper. It will be badged "Nevada". We have gone for a white and black colour scheme with minimalist graphics. Fox alloys and black privacy glass fitted to the sliding doors and van sides. The rear "French style" twin doors already had same glass from the factory plus rear wiper and heated glass. Nissan did get that right and to be fair gave us an excellent price from new.dinkum kamper alloys one mod.jpg
    The pic shows unconverted mock up of side graphic and glass. raising roof to be added of course.

I've seen a few of these vans on the road (unconverted) but never seen one close-up.

Am I right in guessing they're a Nissan-badged version of the new-shape Berlingo?

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
      I've seen a few of these vans on the road (unconverted) but never seen one close-up.

Am I right in guessing they're a Nissan-badged version of the new-shape Berlingo?
      No the NV is a unique Nissan design although it shares some mechanical components with the Renault Kangoo
      Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

NV200 ,some more bits of info

The engine is the Renault 1.5 dci turbo diesel. Some versions factory "chipped" to 110ps. The floor of the entire van is effectively flat throughout , making the cab a useful part of a conversion if you fit swivel seats. The German company, zooom, have TUV approved swivels available if you do not want to convert your own universal swivels or if you want that insurance of approved parts.
        There are a few variations in what you can buy but even the basic versions are well equipped and lovely to drive in my opinion. A major plus is fuel economy. My brother uses his as a builder's van and can achieve a very respectable 52 to 53 mpg. Lots of other users report this too.
        Many layouts are feasible for conversion to campervan including classic side cupboard (with easy access to rear of cupboard (hob/sink/water/gas/battery) due to twin sliding doors as standard) Rock and roll type rear seat beds can be used and fitted with safety belts.
        A dutch version uses a large side sofa and swing out kitchen for use inside or out. Urban Campers have a few different layouts.
        Flush glass is now available from cheaper "pattern" glass suppliers as the people carrier versions are glazed all round. Originally only expensive Nissan glass was available.
        Just think of the Nissan NV200 as a slighter smaller, economical and reliable modern alternative to a SWB VW . Not for everyone , but I love them!
        I have photos and ramblings you will pick up on my blog by googling "dinkum kamper"

Comment

Hi Dinkum,
          Very nice looking van and I think you've gone for the right layout too (I had a good look around the Lunar Vacanza at last years show, that layout is dreadfull in my opinion, cramped and not a comfortable seat in the house!!.... the mag reviews have been gushing!!)
          I think the base vehicle is really good and an exciting van to come into the scene..... Sussex campers have done a layout like yours on it too. Really look forward to seeing more pics of yours as it emerges!
          All the best
          Andyvan

Comment

My Nv 200

Hi Dinkum
            Thought you might like to see a few pics of my NV.
            Its based on the VW side layout and I've completed most of the work myself.
            Finished it about 3 weeks ago and have been to north Wales and Brighton so far.
            Attached Files

Comment

I don't like the bed arrangement in the Vacanza - but then I don't like rock and roll beds either, what alternative is there for a little van like this?

Comment

Alternative NV200 layouts

The Dutch company , CustomCamp have a layout using a lengthwise sofa down one side of the van. You can find them on google. Also Urban Campers in Yorkshire have a few different layouts using a rear kitchen across the back of the van and others with no rock and roll bed. You basically have similar options to those found in SWB VWs but a little smaller than the latest transporter versions.

Comment

Love the Dutch one. Shall have to do some investigating!

Comment

Great Job !

Stunning conversion. Looks like a very practical working layout. Well done ! Would it be OK to show your work on my Blog ? PS where did you get the raising roof from ?
                    Originally posted by sygooner View Post
                    Hi Dinkum
                    Thought you might like to see a few pics of my NV.
                    Its based on the VW side layout and I've completed most of the work myself.
                    Finished it about 3 weeks ago and have been to north Wales and Brighton so far.
                    Last edited by dinkum; 26-08-2013, 13:10.

Comment

Originally posted by dinkum View Post
                      Stunning conversion. Looks like a very practical working layout. Well done ! Would it be OK to show your work on my Blog ? PS where did you get the raising roof from ?
                      Hi
                      Yes that would be fine. The roof came from Sussex campervans

Comment

Thought it looked like theirs. A stunning conversion, Sygooner. I am very jealous of your talents.

Did they fit the roof for you as well, and if so roughly what would they charge for that?

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
                          Thought it looked like theirs. A stunning conversion, Sygooner. I am very jealous of your talents.

Did they fit the roof for you as well, and if so roughly what would they charge for that?
                          Hi
                          Yes the roof was supplied and fitted by them and the cost was about £1,700+ vat if I remember correctly

Comment

Thanks, that doesn't sound too bad at all.

Comment

Very nice conversion and I am a fan of the black & white approach! (Love the cushions & curtains too.)

I saw a Hillside Dalbury at the Newbury show last weekend, which I thought was a very nice van indeed - like a VW that shrunk in the wash! I think the NV200 looks like a very nice base vehicle for small conversions in the style of the VW approach. And at about half the price of a new well specced VW it makes it a very thought provoking option for a person currently running an R10.
                              Anne
                              My website and My blog, which includes 'On Location' trip reports.

Comment