This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brilliant bodywork company recommended

I was putting the cover on my coachbuilt motorhome when I noticed that the roof was not exactly intact. The outer fibreglass skin was not glued to the plywood underneath. However as I can climb about on it and it isn't soggy I figured that I had better get it fixed before rain gets in and rots the wood, leading either to doom and gloom or excessive draining of the bank account for a new van. I poked about on ebay and found ACS- Advanced Caravan Services who offer repairs to all things caravan or motorhome. I was a bit concerned because the bloke in charge is called Wayne. As it turns out, Wayne is not married to Waynetta and indeed is a highly skilled chap as is evidenced not only by his caravan body knowledge but the fact that he is also repairing helicopters in the workshop. Yes, it is big. They can take 6 caravans and two helicopters at once in there. I took my motorhome there hoping that they could do an invisible repair, and then I would take it somewhere and trade it for a new one. Wayne poked around the inside with a damp detector, then climbed up to the roof and said 'there's nothing wrong with that, it is a standard build practice not to glue the fibreglass roof skin to the structural roof'. 'Look at these other caravans, they are the same'. And sure enough they were. Floppy roofs, all of them, except for the curvy parts of roofs which are actually moulded fibreglass, as is the front over-cab part of mine. I was a bit pleasantly surprised, here is a guy you are offering work to, and he says it doesn't need doing. 'While you're here I'll check it all over if you like' he said. Yes, sure, of course, go ahead. He found damp just about starting here and there, and observed that the door and window seals were showing their age and just starting to weep moisture in. The vehicle is ten years old. So he listed everything that needed doing including taking out and replacing a couple of rotten wood frame parts underneath behind the wheels and sat me down with a brandy and told me what it would cost. Actually not with the brandy. It was more than I had hoped to get away with for the roof, but I could see the value in it, and as the vehicle is worth £20,000 it would seem worth spending a few hundred getting it up to scratch and preventing deterioration. He gave me one price for doing the essential work, and another, £150 more, for making the whole thing like new. This included fitting reflectors over a couple of small bodywork blemishes, machine polishing the whole exterior, headlights and perspex windows, removing sealant and resealing all door frames and windows, repainting bumpers and wheels, and sourcing and fitting a new maker's decal on the front over-cab moulding. This was useful as the make is an un-helpful French manufacturer that we have had difficulties getting parts from, even though they are a current mainstream manufacturer. He gave me a years warranty against water ingress and said the polish should last a couple of years, specially if it is kept under cover.
    When I returned to collect it I was gob-smacked. There it was, absolutely brand new, far better than when I had bought it from the dealer, and all for a few (well several, actually) hundred pounds, probably the cost of fitting a cam belt to a BMW. Well worth the money. I can highly recommend them, they are just south of Derby not far from the M1. Contact details are Advanced Caravan Services LTd, 07718 268722 or 01332 232686. They do a lot of work for all the local big-name caravan dealers, which actually impressed me that those named dealers do actually get their vans looked at properly and repaired properly before resale.
    Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding. Proverbs 3

Wow - that sounds like a company worth their salt! Thanks for recommending them. I wish there was something similar over my way, on t'other side of the Pennines!

(I bet if I went over with my caravan, they would say it was better to scrap it and buy another one! LOL!)

Comment

Hi gasgas, thanks for that information I have made a note of that number, I always go by recommendations, thanks again
      Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
      'Live without regrets'

Comment

widgetinstance 226 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
      Working...
      X