Guarantee Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guarantee Issues

Hi there small motorhomers - well, I bought my Lunar Vacanza and love it, love it, love it. I use it as my daily vehicle and it delivers between 40 and 50 mpg - even with short journeys round the city. Have had a few very successful camping trips with my little dog - and several lovely outings with my little grandchildren who like nothing better than a picnic in Nana's van! Travelling with my own loo is also a great boon.

However, I've come up against a problem and would appreciate your help. I bought the van new from a dealer, with 3 years gtee on the habitation unit (Lunar) and 3 years gtee and rac cover on the basic vehicle (Nissan) - however, when I contacted them to notify them of my details, Nissan informed me that their gtee had been activated the previous May (2014) and the gtee therefore ran from that date - in other words - I had 'lost' a year of my guarentee. I was told to contact my dealer and they've been constantly pushed from Lunar to Nissan - but so far, without success. Obviously I'm hoping I'm never going to have to use the gtee - but it was one of the things that persuaded me to part with my money. My dealer still thinks it may get sorted, but I bought the van in May, when it was first registered, and it is now October. I'm wondering whether to put pressure on by contacting the caravan and camping clubs - or maybe MMM magazine. At the moment I'm banking on it being a mix up of numbers - as Lunar already had some of the serial numbers on the vehicle incorrect. Has anybody got any ideas as to what I can do next?

Good luck -- interesting point

Comment

I really hate it when consumers are pushed from pillar to post by big organisations. I was thinking though, if it was new in May this year, surely the registration number is a "15"? Therefore how can Nissan say it was registered in 2014? I might be missing something here of course.

Also, if I were you I'd be going to the NEC next week and eyeballing Lunar on their stand!!
      Chris

Comment

When does the Log Book (V5C) say the vehicle was first registered? If it says May 2014 then then you bought a one year old vehicle and you should take that up with the dealer if they didn't point that out to you and did offer you a significant discount when you bought it. Pre-registered vehicles are quite commonly sold by garages but they have to be open about it.

Comment

No, not preregistered

No, this isn't a preregistered vehicle. I've got all the paperwork and I am the first registered keeper. Think the idea of eyeballing the Lunar people at the exhibition is a good one - but suspect the people there would be inclined to say they can't help as they're not in the office! I'm still favouring the clubs - and MMM if they'll take it on board. Frustrated at I truly love the vehicle - and I remember this pillar to post business when I previously had an Adrian Twin with my ex - Fiat and Adria were always arguing about whose responsibility it was when things went awry!

Comment

Hi,

Done a Google for YEAR OF MANUFACTURE VIN, came up with ....

http://www.carfax.com/guides/buying-...r/vin-decoding

The Year of Manufacture is shown by the 10th character of the VIN number. E = 2014. F=2015. The VIN number has 17 characters, and can be found in your V5, and on a plate on your van - probably in several places. They should all match.

If your VIN shows an F, it could not have had it's warranty activated in 2014 ... possibly a fat-fingered clerk hitting the wrong key?

If your VIN shows an E, you should have words with your dealer. It is not unknown for a considerable time to elapse between completion of the base vehicle, and the completion of it's conversion to a camper, but a nice round 12 months is something of a co-incidence. It is/was also not unknown for huge numbers of unsold new cars to sit in fields for many months ... did they suffer the same loss of warranty? What about cars shipped from Japan (or Range Rovers shipped to Japan)

Your dealer registered your camper as "New when First Registered", and that is what should be printed on your V5 (check). Why should anybody activate a warranty 12 months before it was needed? Perhaps it was needed? Any Nissan dealer should be able to tell you if any service or warranty work has been done on your van ... it will be on his computer. I don't know if he can, or will, tell you on whose behalf the work was done, but if there has been any work done, then I would regard your van as not new. Who did the pre-delivery service? Nissan? Or the Lunar dealer? If Lunar, how does that affect the warranty conditions?

Did you by the van "off the shelf", or did the dealer have to order it in? How many miles were on the clock? DVLA regard the NEW clock to start ticking as soon as the vehicle is first "used" .... like as a demonstrator.

Hmmm! If 12 months had passed since the pre-delivery service, then it would have needed a 12 month service too ... or needed one almost immediately you bought it ... and next year will be a big service?

You bought a new van, which for various reasons may not have been as new as you thought. But the deal included a 3-year warranty, starting from the date of sale, unless you were told differently. Me? I would buy Saturdays Telegraph, scan the Motoring Supplement for Honest John's columns, send him an email with your question. While waiting for a reply, go discuss it with your dealer ...your van was "not as described". Make him wriggle. Mention the Trading Standards Officer.

Hurry, there "might" be a 6 month deadline.

Comment

PS.

Google "WHEN IS A NEW CAR NOT REALLY A NEW CAR"

Comment

Thanks for this

Thank you so much for this - but I've looked at my Vin and it has neither an 'E' nor an 'F', the date of registration on my V5x is 14052015 but, interestingly - there is a code - v5c - 0614 at the bottom of the second page, 'for office use only'. I'm now wondering if the DVLA would be able to tell me if the van had previously been registered as a van - prior to being converted to a camper car? I may well drop into my local Nissan van dealer and see if they are inclined to be helpful - but am also wondering whether I should 'just' forward the information you sent me to the dealer I bought the van from (it was in their showroom as 'new') - and see what they say? I do know they had had it in their showroom for through last winter - but they have said they did not have the camper car on the date Nissan are quoting that the guarantee was activated.

I shall also try a 'google' myself to see what else comes up.

Thanks again

Lindiana

Comment

Hi , I have a Lunar Vacanza registered Dec 2014. Happy to answer any questions! I am a solo lady camper who camps successfully a with 2 small dogs and also use my Nissan as a daily vehicle .

Comment

Hello Pammyanne and welcome to the site

Comment