This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change over to Propane

Well after this harsh winter I have changed from Butane over to Propane, now I carry two 6kg bottles in my LPG locker. Regulators are low pressure for caravan and motorhome application, it is vital that you select a low pressure model so I had to changed from 28 mbar Butane, to 37 mbar for Propane.
    Using propane I can now opperate at -42C upwards so using my van in winter is fine, that suits me as I use my van all year come rain or shine.
    On the Eurostar LPG bottles must only be 80% full to travel on board, propane is only 80% full when purchased again no problem here for travelling on Eurostar.
    The downside to using the van all year is the roads are so dirty this time of the year, and being a white van well prity dirty, and the outside tap is frozen.
    Well here we are new years eve, so let me wish you all a very Happy New Year, happy safe camping for 2011
    Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
    'Live without regrets'

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
    Well after this harsh winter I have changed from Butane over to Propane, now I carry two 6kg bottles in my LPG locker. Regulators are low pressure for caravan and motorhome application, it is vital that you select a low pressure model so I had to changed from 28 mbar Butane, to 37 mbar for Propane.
    Using propane I can now opperate at -42C upwards so using my van in winter is fine, that suits me as I use my van all year come rain or shine.
    On the Eurostar LPG bottles must only be 80% full to travel on board, propane is only 80% full when purchased again no problem here for travelling on Eurostar.
    The downside to using the van all year is the roads are so dirty this time of the year, and being a white van well prity dirty, and the outside tap is frozen.
    Well here we are new years eve, so let me wish you all a very Happy New Year, happy safe camping for 2011
    Happy new year Bryan,I look forward to our meeting in the spring.
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Hi Ian, Happy new year to you mate, yes look forward to meeting up in the spring............ roll on the
      Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
      'Live without regrets'

Comment

I`ve gone one stage further with my gas and have fitted a gaslow refillable cylinder, its litarally quarterd my gas costs so will pay for itself in under a year and filling is no different to filling with diesel. I wish I had done it years ago now.

Comment

Originally posted by Biker Paul View Post
          I`ve gone one stage further with my gas and have fitted a gaslow refillable cylinder, its litarally quarterd my gas costs so will pay for itself in under a year and filling is no different to filling with diesel. I wish I had done it years ago now.
          Tell us more Paul.
          Is the "Gaslow" cylinder detachable or do you need to take the outfit to fill up "on site" like propane powered cars etc.
          Space is always a consideration and an idea of dimensions might be useful.
          Regards, Jim (2xTriumph 5T and 1xTriumph 5TA - plus the car on my Avatar).
          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

I believe they do two sizes of cylinder a 11kg which I bought and fits in the space my 6kg Calor cylinder fitted in too, although its about a couple of inches taller and a smaller 6kg size. I bought a complete kit for £175 which included the filler thingy which is fitted to the exterior of your van (this is a legal requirment to fill at an Autogas filling point) and the fitting took about half an hour. As far as I am aware you cannot fill a "loose" cylinder in a garage it has to be fitted to a vehicle and filled from an external filler point. I seem to think that Autogas has a better calorific value the propane as the kettle boils considerably quicker and the heater seems to mantain the same tempature but on a couple of notches lower setting as well. From empty (new) my 11kg cylinder took 21ltrs of gas and from just entering the red segment it takes around 18ltrs to fill to cut off (80%) I use my van for a couple of nights most weeks and some times spend up to a couple of weeks in it so would on average use a 6kg propane cylinder avery fortnight or so, an 18 ltr fill cost a bit less than £14 and lasts around 6 weeks roughly filling is as easy as filling with fuel, you just clip the filler nozzel in to the filler point and push and hold the big black button in until the pump stops automaticly on full, check the display and go and pay simples!

Ps the whole kit is easily removed and tranfered to another vehicle if you change all you would need is a little "air vent" thingy to cover the hole where the filler was,

Pps Autogas at filling stations is far more common on the continent than it is here, all you need is a £10 adapter to enable you to use their pumps.
            Last edited by Biker Paul; 12-02-2011, 23:17.

Comment

Unfortunately Gaslow will not fit in an Outlook gas locker

Comment

Thanks Paul. You have confirmed what I suspected about filling.
                I used to manage a fleet of taxis running on propane back in the 70s/80s, so I am conversant with the filling method. I fact we had our own filling installation with up to two tons of propane storage when full.
                I used to be aware of lots of filling points around the Country in case we needed a fill-up "abroad" (though the cars were dual fuel and could switch to petrol if necessary), but there now seem to be less filling points around than then. We also retailed the propane, along with another supplier in Chesterfield, both points are long gone. Now there are none. All this raises the questions:-
                Is making a detour to fill-up practical or economically viable for many?
                And what about the problems of running out on-site?

I don't think it would work for me, but could well do for others.

Jim.
                Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                  Unfortunately Gaslow will not fit in an Outlook gas locker
                  I have seen an outlook with the pulman seat arrangement,that had refillable LPG fitted, exactly as described by Biker Paul.
                  and the fit was easy and didnt involve cutting the van around.
                  Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

For me it is closer to get Autogas than to get a Calor cylinder exchange. There seems to be a very good coverage of Autogas fillups but as one fill would last me longer than I tend to be away I always top up if I am below about a quarter full as I head out. In seven days/six nights just after Christmas in sub zero day and night tempatures whith the heating, hot water, cooking and the fridge I used 14 litres of gas and it cost £10:54p I reckon that would have been two 6kg cylinders and around £34 otherwise.

Comment

I dont know if its people from on here but a second hand 11kg set up has just sold on fleabay for about £25 more than Gaslow charge for a new set

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X