This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat Belts in Rear

I have a Herald Squire four birth with no seats facing forward in the back, what is the law regarding seat belts, I have searched the forum and can't come up with an answere, can anyone help me, thanks.
    Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
    'Live without regrets'

Hope this helps. It seems you will not need seatbelts?
    Happiness is a palace on two wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by zaphod View Post
      Hope this helps. It seems you will not need seatbelts?
      Good post Chris, we often get asked about seat belts so I will sticky this thread for future reference.
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Now you sly old dog,youv got ample room in your cab for passengers,your not about to import, illegals are you in your huge Motorhome, are you? on a serious note tho, from a pratical point, in your particular vehicle, it would be possible to put lapbelts in, without too much hassle.Best strap any would be passengers in your luton!!!!
        Rob,:thumbsup:

Comment

seat belts

hi how about in a r20 romahome [email protected]

Comment

Any Outlook/R20 with the pullman conversion has 2 seats with seatbelts in the back. Some of the earlier duos had had the option of two rear seats. Richard baldwins have an example in stock. see here http://rbm.co.uk/search-by-manufactu...me-duo-r95-edl

Comment

seat belts thanks

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
              Any Outlook/R20 with the pullman conversion has 2 seats with seatbelts in the back. Some of the earlier duos had had the option of two rear seats. Richard baldwins have an example in stock. see here http://rbm.co.uk/search-by-manufactu...me-duo-r95-edl
              yes the one we have now as seat bets but now u have to pay to have them fitted we are wating for hows to come in to baldwins other can dielver faster than them hope it cumes nextweek been 9 weeks now thanks for your reply tom denis+dog

Comment

Hi just throught I'd put a reply onto this thread even though its a little old as it might help people wanting to know information regarding rear seat belts.
                If you have side facing rear seats then you don't need to have seat belts fitted to them. Seat belts are only required for forward facing rear seats.
                Last edited by Suzukibago; 29-09-2012, 00:24.
                Regards Martin :rollonfloorlaughing

Comment

We have seatbelts in our pullman conversion (2011 conversion.) The trouble is that the windows are fairly small and difficult to see out of. Consequently, I'm the only person in the family who can tolerate travelling in the back for more than a mile or two. Everyone else gets travel sick. Somehow it doesn't seem fair to have to sit in the back of my own van and let someone else drive and have all the views!
                  Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukibago View Post
                    If you have side facing rear seats then you don't need to have seat belts fitted to them. Seat belts are only required for forward facing rear seats.
                    Martin, I would like to have someone verify that statement. My pullman version Hylo has a forward facing rear seat with a three point fixing seat belt, a rear facing rear seat with a lap belt, and a side facing bench seat with no seat belts. The seat belts are original fittings, so I am pretty sure the lap belt would not have been fitted if it wasn't required. As for the side facing seat, I was under the impression this could only be used while the vehicle was stationary, i.e. for habitation, not for transport of passengers. In other words, passengers cannot be carried on seats without safety belts, but for rear facing seats a lap belt is sufficient.

Please correct me If I am wrong.

Roger

Comment

Some cars only have a lap belt for the centre rear seat.

I am almost 100% certain that you cannot carry passengers on sideways facing seats in modern vehicles (I cannot remember the date), Landrover no longer fit sideways seats in the rear of their Defender range. You would need to seek the approval of your insurance company and I am sure that they would not give it.

Peter

Comment

hi the c15 romahome hi top can sleep 3 / 2 adults and 1 child in top section. so how would you seat the 3 .
                        As there is no seat belt in the rear on side faceing seats.
                        And the law on it plse, and does the age mater ? say 1990's till fin in 2,000's

Comment

The C15 hytop is a 2 berth not a 3 berth, the area above the cab is for storage, so there is no provision for passengers.
                          Graham
                          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Whatever the law says ! I wouldnt advise anyone to travel on any seat without a seatbelt, even going slow, if the van stops suddenly you can be badly injured, I only travelled about 200 yards in the side facing seats we were just moving up the road in our Kontiki when hubby had to break hard for a dog that dashed in front of us! OUCH I cracked the top of my head on the side of a cabinet I worried for days that I had done myself a mischief ! goodness knows how badly I would have been hurt or how far I would have been thrown if we were moving at speed.

Comment

I am sure that Ant will be able to quote chapter and verse about dates but before a certain date you did not need seat belts on rear seats. After that date people like Landrover stopped fitting sideways seats because of the dangers of seatbelts on sideways seats (this is well documented if you search the Internet). If you have a Romahome with Pullman seats it is new enough to need seatbelts in the back and so you cannot carry passengers on the sideways seat. Your registration document should show the number of seats and your insurance could be compromised if you carry passengers optherwise than in accordance to the number of seats with seatbelts.

Peter

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X