As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just a thought....

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Just a thought....

    Maybe one for Graham....
    Trawling around different MH sites I notice some have a database of stolen vehicles, where when what etc., I just thought that if all sites carried an updated global list, all those eyes may spot a stolen vehicle and give the villains a harder time.
    Or am I fantasising again!

    Tony Anchorman

    #2
    Sounds a good idea.....
    Rob,:thumbsup:

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by anchorman View Post
      Maybe one for Graham....
      Trawling around different MH sites I notice some have a database of stolen vehicles, where when what etc., I just thought that if all sites carried an updated global list, all those eyes may spot a stolen vehicle and give the villains a harder time.
      Or am I fantasising again!

      Tony Anchorman
      Yes you are in dreamland again,The police have a national record of motorcaravan thefts - they have not found ANY in the last 5 years.
      When my van was stolen I went through a lengthy interview of the details of the crime. 11 months later I was contacted by a northern police force who now had responsibility for the data base,they sent me a copy of the information they held.My name was wrong,the address was wrong,the crime number was correct,the only information they held was - make of vehicle,VW.
      That was it. I phoned them and asked why the information had not been transferred and was told that it was not a requirement.So who I asked is looking for my van,we are they said.I pointed out they were 450 miles away and had no information and was told they would send me a 8 page form to fill out and return.Nothing happened.
      A policeman friend said,most forces dont bother with vehicle theft,its an insurance issue.He also pointed out that if I had accepted an insurance payment,I would not get my vehicle back even if it were found as it belongs to the insurance company.
      My local force informed me that most stolen vans go out of the country via the tunnel,so why are they not checked there? they dont have access to the national database!!!!!
      Get a good replacement insurance, nothing else will be done!
      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

      Comment


        #4
        I've been worried about my van being stolen from the first moment I had it - I hadn't preempted this at all. My anxieties have lessened over the months but I was pondering upon it today again. I've just travelled up to Scotland and back with a few other journeys thrown in. I haven't seen one other Romahome in all my travels. I got to thinking that if the van was stolen, it would be easy to track down as it is so unusual. Looking at the statistics, I think I am very wrong and just need to get into a place in my head where if it goes, I know it won't come back again

        Anyway, I have to look on the bright side and hope it never happens.

        Barbara

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Ewig View Post
          I've been worried about my van being stolen from the first moment I had it - I hadn't preempted this at all. My anxieties have lessened over the months but I was pondering upon it today again. I've just travelled up to Scotland and back with a few other journeys thrown in. I haven't seen one other Romahome in all my travels. I got to thinking that if the van was stolen, it would be easy to track down as it is so unusual. Looking at the statistics, I think I am very wrong and just need to get into a place in my head where if it goes, I know it won't come back again

          Anyway, I have to look on the bright side and hope it never happens.

          Barbara
          dont fret Barbara,
          small vans are not high on the thieves lists,agreed nothing can be ruled out,but get a good insurance policy,take photos of your van inside and out,and of any expensive or unique items on board,this will help your claim if the worst happens.electronic tracker systems are ok,but expensive.A big steel bar across the steering wheel is good and cheap.
          It is unlikely to happen to you,so, just enjoy life, summers coming.
          Ian
          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

          Comment


            #6
            We've got a wheel clamp on ours, it's a bit of a pain getting it off but worth it for the peace of mind.

            Someone round the corner from us had their large motorhome taken during the night a couple of years ago, that's when we decided on the clamp.
            Graham
            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

            Comment


              #7
              Wheel clamp on ours too and a disc lock on the steering wheel, then it's parked behind my car as well. If they really want it, they'll still get it though, my theory is make it as difficult as possible for them and hopefully they'll not bother and go elsewhere.
              Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

              Comment


                #8
                Yes van theft is a worry, I have an alarm, emobiliser with flashing red light in the cab, and use a sturdy steering wheel lock, I'm parked in a private road, (culdesac) two miles from the main road, but still keep my eye on the van day and night, one thing is for sure I have good insurance through the Camping and Caravan Club, photgraphs of the van inside and out.
                If it's going to be stolen it will go, it's a deterant with all the security added.
                I'm happy knowing Iv'e done everything to help prevent a theft.
                Now I just want to enjoy my van, without worrying to much about the problem.
                Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                'Live without regrets'

                Comment


                  #9
                  All the usual Cat 1 alarm, Immobiliser,disklok steering wheel lock plus 2 day/night CCTV cameras recording 24/7. Wheel clamp next purchase. They will get it if they want it, but at least I'll see it going! Got a great video of my next door neighbour crashing into my car.
                  Was going to stream cameras to the internet,(we have the technology!) but don't want to watch it getting nicked when I'm miles away!

                  Tony Anchorman
                  Last edited by anchorman; 14-02-2011, 18:30.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Security

                    I have a length of sturdy chain that I fit through the steering wheel and through the passenger arm rest, with a large lock. I know that it would not deter a determined thief but I saw a program on television where a reformed thief was saying that some steering locks were "a minute to put on and half a minute to smash off".
                    Some of the locks are more sturdy construction, but they are a lot more expensive than my chain and lock.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Another mystery cleared up!

                      Having bought my 21 year old Romahome, and having crawled over every inch of it to look at ALL the stuff that needs doing, spotted with amazement the vehicle Registration number on the roof! So the only conclusion that I can now draw is that I can be followed by Police Helicopter when I invariable ram raid the local shop! Unable to travel incognito until I remove it!
                      Almost feels like an extra in a Blues Brothers film!
                      Jol

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by jolmartyn View Post
                        Having bought my 21 year old Romahome, and having crawled over every inch of it to look at ALL the stuff that needs doing, spotted with amazement the vehicle Registration number on the roof! So the only conclusion that I can now draw is that I can be followed by Police Helicopter when I invariable ram raid the local shop! Unable to travel incognito until I remove it!
                        Almost feels like an extra in a Blues Brothers film!
                        Jol
                        Goodmorning Jol,
                        Darn good way for helping the police to find your stolen van,last place any sneak theif would look and it identifies the van as yours, and yes it might help you get your van back if the helicopter can see it!
                        I would leave it in place.
                        Ian
                        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          no plat

                          Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                          Goodmorning Jol,
                          Darn good way for helping the police to find your stolen van,last place any sneak theif would look and it identifies the van as yours, and yes it might help you get your van back if the helicopter can see it!
                          I would leave it in place.
                          Ian
                          hi on all motor homesi have had put no on roof as it can be track eny ware u can put set number plats on but u do not look on top (diggdeep)

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Security chains

                            Originally posted by eugene View Post
                            I have a length of sturdy chain that I fit through the steering wheel and through the passenger arm rest, with a large lock. I know that it would not deter a determined thief but I saw a program on television where a reformed thief was saying that some steering locks were "a minute to put on and half a minute to smash off".
                            Some of the locks are more sturdy construction, but they are a lot more expensive than my chain and lock.
                            Oh! that's good we too have been doing the same thing for years but we thread ours through the door handles to stop the doors opening. We also leave the chain on view .
                            every little helps.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Not a motorhome, but a caravan I worried about when one was stolen from across the road from behind locked gates.
                              Thieves are likely to have boned up on all the normal anti-theft measures and how to overcome them, so I tried a different approach.
                              I worked out a circuit using a relay and Klaxon Horn which operated when the towing car brakes were applied (inevitable down my steep drive) and stayed on until the hidden master switch was turned off.
                              Thankfully, I never found out if it was effective, but the thinking was that thieves might be able to remove wheel clamps etc., but would they tow away a caravan screaming like a banshee because they had no idea how to stop it? Uncoupling the 'van did not stop it and all the parts were well hidden and difficult to access. Giving me time to act.
                              It would not be difficult to rig somthing similar on a motorhome.

                              I remember an immobiliser/alarm going off in the local golf club carpark. It would not turn off and the owner was frantic. The unit and wiring was clearly visible under the bonnet. It took me only 2 or 3 minutes with no prior knowledge to select one wire and pull it off! The car was then mobile and the alarm stopped! So much for "approved" alarms!
                              Jim.
                              Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

                              Comment

                              320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

                              Collapse

                              728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X