The new VW all electric campervan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new VW all electric campervan

This is the press release. The mileage is till limited, charging reputedly takes 40 mins,and there is no information on how it would perform under load.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/vw-camp...swagen-9590445

Its a concept vehicle it seems so it may never appear on the road.
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

I read somewhere that it's expected to be produced in 2022!

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
      I read somewhere that it's expected to be produced in 2022!
      wonder what the sites will charge for ehu then!!

Comment

Have to point out that the concept car is not a campervan, it's a 7 seat MPV
        Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
          Have to point out that the concept car is not a campervan, it's a 7 seat MPV
          Remove seats, attach hammock, buy festival tickets I'll be waiting for the self-driving one too.

Comment

An interesting concept and a flat floor for ease of conversion - but, although the 270 miles range is increasing, it's still not very practical for a touring vehicle until there are widespread charging points available. I'll stick with diesel for now.

Comment

Originally posted by doog View Post
              wonder what the sites will charge for ehu then!!
              Talking of ehu and 'charge' reminded me of this -

A camper removing her scanties,
              Heard them crackle electrical chanties;
              Said her husband "My dear,
              I very much fear,
              You suffer from amps in your panties!"

Trust the Organ Grinder to lower the tone of the thread.
              Well at least a semi-tone.
              Last edited by Organ Grinder; 12-01-2017, 19:05.
              A barrel organs life is one long grind?

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
                An interesting concept and a flat floor for ease of conversion - but, although the 270 miles range is increasing, it's still not very practical for a touring vehicle until there are widespread charging points available. I'll stick with diesel for now.
                Totally agree. To my mind, cute though it is, this concept as a camper conversion would entirely fail to satisfy my need to go where I want when I want on a whim, to camp in remote places and not feel constrained or pressured by concerns about the next recharge. Diesel is being branded as being The Devil Incarnate, but by golly it works, is not outrageously expensive (16.5p per mile for my Transit compact), is available Nationally, is dispensed in minutes and a tank full will take me 500 miles.

Comment

If you want an electric vehicle, I feel the best way to go is to use a hydrogen fuel cell. Tank up with hydrogen in a few minutes and get a reasonable range with only steam as the exhaust . The main problem is the lack of filling points - so far only a handful in the UK.
                  Still crazy after all these beers.

Comment

Electric camper or alternatives to deisel

How would buying a petrol vehicle to convert or petrol camper and getting it converted to lpg suit? If diesel becomes difficult in the future but electric still does not have range what to do for economy

Comment

Originally posted by Derekoak View Post
                      How would buying a petrol vehicle to convert or petrol camper and getting it converted to lpg suit? If diesel becomes difficult in the future but electric still does not have range what to do for economy
                      at the risk of sounding cheeky. push bike and tent.

Comment

Hillside Leisure have been producing an electric camper for a couple of years, based on the NV 200. Even more limited mileage, but they've got to start somewhere I suppose?

http://www.hillsideleisure.co.uk/cam...ectric-camper/

Panda.
                        These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

Comment

Bike camping

Originally posted by doog View Post
                          at the risk of sounding cheeky. push bike and tent.
                          Well we did that for years. Czech Republic in Autumn about a decade ago for a fortnight was really nice. A network of little roads with traffic like 50 years ago in Essex and fruit trees all along the hedgerows planted by the communists for the general good, all in fruit. So free plums apples cherries for the picking.
                          Train from Prague to the south east corner and cycle back 60 miles a day good food and sometimes a bottle of wine in the panniers whilst not putting on weight. We should do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandabloke View Post
                            Hillside Leisure have been producing an electric camper for a couple of years
                            Wow, very stylish kitchen! More comfortable for passengers at the back than the Romahome, I must admit. But Romas are cozier to sit inside with a cuppa (more sofa than carseat) The silent run of an electric motor is something to be considered though. I'd prefer that instead of the rumble of diesel. If they make an electric Romahome one day, that would be perfect

Comment