This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bongos

Hello to all the Bongo Owners. Really love the look of the Bongos. Even went to a local dealer to actually look and sit in one. Smashing looking vehicles but. Yes there is always a but. I can't seem to find out any sure info about mpg. Thought we may be interested in a Man. Diesel, but I was told that they are few and far between. Then we have 4wheel drive? So please somebody give me some idea of mpg? I know it depends how you drive but the thought of changing Daisy, please don't tell her or I am sure she will cry, and then not being able to afford the petrol/diesel in a very smart looking Bongo does worry me a bit. Still polish is quite cheap!!! Look forward to any info. In the meantime enjoy.!!! Daisie.

Originally posted by Daisie View Post
    Hello to all the Bongo Owners. Really love the look of the Bongos. Even went to a local dealer to actually look and sit in one. Smashing looking vehicles but. Yes there is always a but. I can't seem to find out any sure info about mpg. Thought we may be interested in a Man. Diesel, but I was told that they are few and far between. Then we have 4wheel drive? So please somebody give me some idea of mpg? I know it depends how you drive but the thought of changing Daisy, please don't tell her or I am sure she will cry, and then not being able to afford the petrol/diesel in a very smart looking Bongo does worry me a bit. Still polish is quite cheap!!! Look forward to any info. In the meantime enjoy.!!! Daisie.
    Hello Daisie
    Glad to hear that you are considering a Bongo,they are great vehicles,no better place to look for information than on Bongo Fury (The Owners Club website).
    For Fuel related issues see here http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/for...forum.php?f=12
    You are correct in saying there arent that many manual gearbox versions around these are usually paired with the 2.5 TD engines,personally Id go with the auto box its a doddle to drive and does suit the vehicle as a whole to be automatic.Engine choices are 2.0 petrol 2.5 TD 2.5 V6 petrol.The most popular one is the TD but latterly a lot of 2.0 petrol ones have been coming from Japan,these are reputedly a bit gutless and no better on fuel than the V6 which is super smooth and powerful.
    Whatever version you opt for they all have a common problem in that they have a lot of coolant hoses and pipes that can cause problems,a happy Bongo owner is one who observes listens and investigates if they suspect things arent right and sorts them immediately.I had my Bongo for nearly 4.5 years it was totally reliable,yes I did have a few maintenance issues along the way but that would be expected for a vehicle of that age irrespective of what it was.
    I do hope to return to Bongo ownership soon as i sold mine late on 2010,I am looking at the V6 petrol with a view to having the option of on LPG gas conversion.

Now conversions of the kitchen kind........now theres a whole new world to discuss........

Good Luck
    Dabs
    Last edited by Dabs; 02-03-2011, 16:18.

Comment

Hi Daisie - a load of good info there from Dabs - and I agree with what he says.

I have a 2.5 turbo diesel 2 wheel drive auto model, which I am absolutely delighted with - quite the best vehicle I've ever owned!! Was looking for this combination - auto and 2WD as I don't need a 4WD, not camping all seasons - and this one really chose me!!

I'm sure Dabs will agree - you just seem to KNOW when you've found the one for you!!

I get around 30 - 32mpg on a run - obviously less around town - but they will run happily on a percentage of chip oil (clean)! if you can get it cheaply enough.

Didn't notice if you put your location up - good idea to for local help. Mine came from Imperial at Poole, Dorset - you need to look around carefully if you do decide to go for one, as there are some less desirable ones to be found around - particularly around the Ports.

Mike

Comment

Yes good advice Mike and yes unfortunately there are quite a few less than reliable Bongos out there and of course the dealers who do sell them.As Mike also said Daisie a location would help us to point you in the right direction Im sure you will realise this when you go on Bongo Fury website.Please check out the Bongo Meets that are already arranged the owners will have no hesitation in showing you round their Bongos,the Meets are always full of good advice and chatter the peeps are very friendly and will always help a prospective owner.It will be a great help to you to meet other owners and take it from there Bongos like the people who own them are all different,similar but all different they are a great true multi purpose vehicle,they do everything and do it very well!

Dabs

Comment

Hi Daisie,

I had a Bongo. Great van.

I bough mine from Little Movers, Diss Nr Norwich. Basically I gave them a price limit, they deducted the price of the conversion, then they then sourced me the best (condition and low mileage) direct from the auctions in Japan (they had an agent there), imported it, and then converted it with a full side conversion, taxed it etc etc - all within the budget I set.

The only real problem I had was the alternator gave up - but that can happen with any vehicle!

Dave
          SteamyDave http://www.steamydave.co.uk/campervan
          "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
          Working...
          X