As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reversing sensors / cameras

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reversing sensors / cameras

Hi all

Has anyone experience of parking sensors / cameras in their vehicles? I am condsidering one for our new Romahome R20.

I have seen there are various types (with differing reviews) but have never travelled in a vehicle with parking aids.

Are they useful or can they give a false sense of security?

As far as the camera option goes, I am to too happy about the dashboard mounted ones. I feel I would have to remove one if these when the vehicle is parked unattended for fear of attracting an oportunist thief who could mistake it for a sat nav...

Any comments / suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks

Andrew

Originally posted by andsally View Post
    Hi all

Has anyone experience of parking sensors / cameras in their vehicles? I am condsidering one for our new Romahome R20.

I have seen there are various types (with differing reviews) but have never travelled in a vehicle with parking aids.

Are they useful or can they give a false sense of security?

As far as the camera option goes, I am to too happy about the dashboard mounted ones. I feel I would have to remove one if these when the vehicle is parked unattended for fear of attracting an oportunist thief who could mistake it for a sat nav...

Any comments / suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks

Andrew
    Hi folks
    in an R20 I dont think its necessary,you get used to wing mirrors and the view through the back door. Save your pennies.
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I have fitted a reversing camera to my dimension. As I have had several near misses,The fitting was simple, the camera had a plate that fitted under the number plate, so all fitting entailed was removing the number plate and attaching the camera to the back with an adhesive pad. It was impossible for me to connect to the brake light connection so I connected it to the number plate light instead. That only involves turning the sidelights on when reversing.
      The display clips onto the dashboard grill and plugs into the lighter socket.
      It is a great help when reversing, BUT I do not rely on it and make it rule to always get out and check that the back is clear.

Comment

We have wireless parking sensors in the bumper of our Outlook, you can manage without them but they are very useful when reversing up to a wall or other cars. I bought then from ebay and fitted them myself. The longest job was marking and drilling the bumper. They have an audible warning and a visible display that is built into an interior mirror which clips over the existing interior mirror. Power for the sensors is taken from a reversing light and power for the mirror is taken from the interior light. (fitted a switch so that it is not live all the time.)

Comment

We have one that came with the vehicle. It didn't function properly during the really cold weather and hasn't stopped me reversing into a bush and getting a little chip on the back door

It is useful but I don't rely on it either.

BA

Comment

Thanks for replies. Will now certainly will not order sensors to be fitted with the new R20 / Outlook, parlicularly as it seems to be a relatively simple diy job. Will wait and see after we take delivery. We have both driven larger and wider vehicles with limited visiblilty but feel more cautious when it is a case of one's own new vehicle. I do like the idea of an aid but would not want a false sense of security. I also thought that sensors may help to lower my blood pressure when I would be the passenger in it!

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by andsally View Post
              Thanks for replies. Will now certainly will not order sensors to be fitted with the new R20 / Outlook, parlicularly as it seems to be a relatively simple diy job. Will wait and see after we take delivery. We have both driven larger and wider vehicles with limited visiblilty but feel more cautious when it is a case of one's own new vehicle. I do like the idea of an aid but would not want a false sense of security. I also thought that sensors may help to lower my blood pressure when I would be the passenger in it!

Andrew
              Get the missus to sit on the rear bumper when reversing,you will soon know if you are too close.
              Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I designed a reversing sensor back in the days when the only one you could get was on the back of a BMW and it cost £750. I sold them to Rolls Royce and Volvo, but the best customer was Rover who made it an approved accessory. I think they are essential, myself and I do think you can get one that you can rely on. However I have been out of the business for some years and I don't know any of the makes available. I will say that I recently bought a new Jaguar which had excellent, totally reliable sensors on it.
                So I think you can get reliable ones, but I don't know who makes them. I would like to know myself as I will want to buy one when I get a new camper.
                No freewheeling downhill run will go unpunished . . . .

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X