This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorhome used as Main Vehicle

How many of you use your motorhome as your main vehicle?
    Jessie

We shall be soon when our new R20 / Outlook arrives next month! We only wanted to run one vehicle and this more than fulfils our needs.

Andrew & Sally

Comment

I wanted to do just that when I had my little old Romahome. However, the thought of visiting my sister in the highlands (where she lived at the time) put paid to that idea, imagine 400 miles at 45mph tops without motorways (too slow for the mways) and you have it.

Also with back probs found it easier to keep my automatic car on the road. This all however proved too expensive after a while, so I sold the Roma, kept the car and bought a teeny caravan which reminded me of my Roma!

I have to say though, that if I could have bought an Automatic Romahome which did an acceptable speed and could handle motorways, I would have kept it and ditched the car.
      Last edited by jayjay; 08-03-2011, 09:44.

Comment

...I too have my Romahamoe as my sole vehicle - it'shard enough parking one car any where near the house, let alone two!

Liz

Comment

Originally posted by jessiem View Post
          How many of you use your motorhome as your main vehicle?
          Me! I have an outlook/R20 and its all I have.
          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

We have the Duo Outlook (same as the R20?) and as we have that and a car we are seriously debating as to whether get rid of the car and just have the outlook as our sole vehicle. I am not that confident driving the outlook, whereas my husband says it is more comfortable, a better drive and more economical. Considering we do not use it every month of the year, having it as our main vehicle will mean it will be put to more use. With all the rises with petrol and insurance I agree with what he is saying. I just wanted to know how many of you used your motorhomes as the main. Perhaps I should seriously think about what he is saying but the car is MY independance!!
            Jessie

Comment

Hi Jessie,its easy,swap ownership,give him the car and you the Roma,then when he annoys you you drive off and camp somewhere for a day or two.

Comment

I too have often wondered about the practicalities of a motorhome being the only vehicle.I had a Mazda Bongo which was designed primarily to be a people carrier so I had no problems on the every day use aspect.I would imagine it can start to get difficult after a certain size of motorhome,the smaller more compact ones make a great deal of sense to have as a one vehicle household.Insurance wise and running costs wise I dont think it matters what it is...........I think we ALL get hammered on this front........we do live in Rip Off Britain dont forget....... I never look at a vehicle and work out its Miles per gallon I always work on the SMILES per mile principle......so far I have been a happy motorist

Dabs

Comment

I have a Heral Squire four birth as my only vehicle, just over eighteen feet in length and not a problem, parking at home isn't a problem as I live in a rural area, 24 mpg running about and 32 on a run, not bad for a 2.5 turbo diesel, power and comfort, with everything on board I need, and yes I agree with Dabs when she says, I always work on the SMILES per mile principle......
                  I love it, and so far I have been a very happy motorist as well
                  I couldn't run two vehicles at todays prices, what I don't have extra to pay for on a second vehicle i.e. insurance, road tax, MOT, servicing, totals about £570 per year, well that helps pay for diesel throughout the year for my motorhome, infact eight tanks of deisel, it helps.
                  Hope it don't keep goin up
                  Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                  'Live without regrets'

Comment

That was the plan, but the offers I got for my fully-kitted-out Citroen C3 were so insulting I've ended up keeping it

It gets used for the local runs, and the campervan does all the long distance, what-a-shame-I'll-have-to-stay-somewhere-overnight runs The van stays in a secure compound as a result, for peace of mind and due to a lack of room.

Two lots of insurance/servicing/tax + storage, but at least the car does about 40% more MPG. Which could be a good thing the way fuel prices are going

Oh...and the car allows me to carry more passengers. It'll have to go eventually though.
                    Neil

Comment

I gave up my Honda Civic to buy a Duo Plus with my sister (who does not drive). We first got a HiLo as I thought it would still fit in the multi-story car parks. Unfortunately Poole's multi-storys' proved too low. Due to various problems with that vehicle we now have a Duo Plus HiTop and it handles just like a car.

Most of my mileage is short local journeys 4 miles and such so fuel consumption not brilliant, but on long runs it is quite decent.

I sometimes wish I had a smart car or similar for local runs and ease of parking, but I doubt if we could both get a week's food shopping in at the same time!
                      Ann

Comment

I too have my Romahome Hi Top as my only vehicle. But then again I walk or bus to work and I don't really like cars. The van is fine for short trips and shopping, as its easily parked and no too heavy on diesel. My main use is ofcourse weekends away and holidays

DJ Sooz.

Comment

We used to have a Duo and used it as a sole vehicle, I regularly took it to work. When we got the Dimension we decided to get a car rather than use the van for everything.
                          Graham
                          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

We have an R20 as our only vehicle, and it is more economical on fuel then our Ford Focus was! It's as easy to drive as a car, just remember not to go into multi storey car parks! It's super to park up somewhere for a coffee after a shopping trip, and good job we have the loo version as public loos will soon be few and far between due to the cutbacks. Go for it!!

By the way, hi everyone I've not posted for ages.
                            :sunshine:

Comment

Hello,nice to hear from you again, Hows things on the island?

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X