5 celebrities in a motorhome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 celebrities in a motorhome

Anyone been watching this 4 part series on channel 5. Someone mentioned this series on the forum but can't find the link. They are in Scotland at the momnet. A favourite of mine.
    They were having trouble with midges on Skye and were wearing nets to cover there faces. Are midges particularly bad on Skye.? I and my late husband, went to Scotland on the west coast at least twice a year, for many years as the scuba diving is good. But I don't have any recollection of having bother with midges. We stayed at North Ledaig on the shores of Ardmucknish(Tralee bay) 9 miles from Oban just outside the village of Benderloch.

Pam

Anywhere in the Highlands can be troublesome for midges between late May and September, but they don't like anything stronger than a relatively gentle wind.

Skye frequently has more than enough wind to keep them down, but clearly not when the programme was being filmed. (Not that I've seen it!) Coastal locations do tend to have a bit more breeze, although we've been becalmed on a couple of occasions in recent years just up the road from Benderloch in Port Appin.
    Last edited by Artoo0; 19-09-2017, 06:59 PM.
    Geoff

Comment

Has anyone heard of any of those celebrities?
      The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

Comment

Actually Andrew when I read this I thought to myself I bet I don't know any of these so called celebraties but was amazed that I've actually heard of 4 of them because they've been in TV programmes I've watched (which is really unusually).

Not seen the program though, not able to get C5 at the moment.

Comment

I'm pretty certain the midges attacked at Loch Lomond, and disappeared the next day, after a change in the weather. Interested to see Lesley Joseph driving a medium sized motorhome smaller and older than me, but she can drive it, I couldn't.
          Claire

Comment

I've been watching it, and found it very entertaining - Lesley Joseph has been amazing, she has really entered into the spirit of things, and one of the guys is intending to invest in a motorhome, he is enjoying it so much. What has been eye opening is how they have been so impressed with the rugged scenery, I'm not sure how far north of Watford some of them have been! In the next episode they are off to the outer Scottish islands, so looking forward to seeing their reactions.

Comment

Something I would like to see; when are they going to start cooking in the vans?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackvan View Post
                Something I would like to see; when are they going to start cooking in the vans?
                Oooh, I'm not sure they've got that far - they have made coffee/tea

Comment

Lesley Joseph has been excellent as has Nick Heywood. I had never heard of Nick or Cleo Rocos before but they and Lesley are enjoying themselves and entering into it all with a good spirit. To see Lesley Joseph tackling a really big beast of a van, and with no prior motorhome driving experience is pretty encouraging.

Melvyn Hayes I know of from TV such as "It ain't half hot mum" but he started off in the programme being very whiny and a bit irritating although now that he no longer sleeps in the "coffin" he seems to have mellowed.

Don Warrington I know from Rising Damp and Death in Paradise and I have been surprised by his initial behaviour in the programme. If you aren't going to take part genuinely why take part at all. Sneaking off the first night to sleep in luxury accommodation isn't really entering into the camping spirit is it.
                  In this week's programme it was as if he had been given a talking to and he decided to enter into the spirit of the thing and actually sleep a night in a motorhome. I qualify "a" motorhome because he didn't share with the other two but slept in the support vehicle that the cameramen transport their cameras in and it looked like he had it to himself.
                  He has been a trifle petulant and actually was very VERY cross when he got bogged down in mud and had to be rescued.

I could understand Melvyn's attitude when you saw the size of the "bunk" he had been allocated and likening it to a coffin was pretty apt.

These are huge vehicles, the men's appearing to be slightly bigger than the girl's one but I don't think the manufacturers come off very well in it.

We all know, as campers, that you have to be organised and this lot aren't. I can't imagine they have done any inside cooking because the women for instance use every nook and cranny for their hair straighteners and whatnot.

I have found it interesting to watch and the scenery has been stunning. Even watching the irritation between the men has been interesting. The girls, on camera at any rate, have just been having such fun and really appear to get on well.

Nick Heywood has been unfailingly charming and thoroughly enjoying himself and i think he is the one determined to get himself a motorhome. I wouldn't be surprised if Lesley went that road too.

Worth watching just for the scenery alone.

Comment

Nick Heywood was in the pop group Haircut 100 and Cleo Rocas was in a lot of Kenny Everett sketches when he had his show many years ago.

Pam

Comment

Good heavens, I would have recognised all of them! That's got to be a first.

Unusually for supposed "celebrity" based programmes, they're all people who've stood the test of time.
                      Geoff

Comment

I stayed at Oban C&CC site in June once, many years ago, and had a very unpleasant time the first day and all that night, due to midges. The following day I bought a plug-in midgicide vapour thingy and it worked wonders, the next morning, on all the tops, and the floor was a black layer of dead midges! Couldn't believe how many there were! Left the site a day early.....

I knew 3 of the 5 'stars' in the celebrity motorhome series. To start with I got fed up with Melvyn Hayes as he seem to do nothing but moan or criticise. I wonder whether the producer had a go at him as he seemed to brighten up a bit after the first programme. I always enjoy seeing Lesley Joseph as she's such a happy-go-lucky type.

Another of those series which I quite enjoyed but I'd rather be out there 'doing it' than watching others.

Comment

I've still got scars from the midge bites gained around Loch Lomond this June / July. I wish I'd thought of the net solution - I only had -shirts and the midges feasted on my arms. Next year long sleeves and maybe a net too. Incidentally they may not like wind but rain means nothing to the little B*****s. Jon
                          Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori

Comment

When we were first married we went tent camping to Dunoon on the shores of a river.

Got up very early with the intention to get packed and on the road by breakfast and were eaten alive by midges, I don't think there was one part of me not covered in bites

Might find this series on catch up, sounds interesting.

Comment

Just back from the camping & caravan site at Barcaldine, near Oban. No trouble with midges now even walking in the woods. We did carry an elec bug killer with us and it wasn't needed.

Midge cream/spray works just as well, we've never taken nets with us but used nets when picking raspberries at home!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X