No announcement yet.

Talbot or Fiat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

our Talbot had 2 seat belts in the back.

Comment

My 2012 Fiat Scudo was built by a Fiat/Citreon/Peugeot joint venture near Valenciennes on the French border with Belgium, not in Italy. Many remarks on this thread resonate with my experience: I have a leak in the skylight (not a Fiat issue), the central gearchange is likely to be the same for left or right hand drive and takes much getting used to. This is because the six forward gears are so near together that it is all too easy to change into the wrong gear. But it is otherwise slick and reliable and there is plenty of power.

I find the size of the van ideal: it is bigger than the Doblo to accommodate Eileen when she was ill, but that being so, there is room to move about and a bed can be left up when traveling. The galley is entirely apart from the sitting/sleeping area which uses rotating front seats. There are two extra belted travel seats making four in total, all seats at tables in a double dinette arrangement with room for the waiter to walk up and down and serve, in the middle.

The Scudo is big enough for this layout but small enough to use normal car parks provided there is no height restriction, and it is handy to drive in congested villages and narrow rural roads where many motorhomes let alone caravans would get stuck or cause others to get stuck. A disadvantage over the Scudo is the larger turning circle - the Doblo would turn on a sixpence and often had to, in view of the places we chose to go. As I have mentioned on another thread, access is poor (so I cannot underand why they are used as taxis) but I will be fitting an electric step at the rear to overcome this.

I am generally delighted with the Scudo and it's very well built. I hope it's well converted apart from the leak, which I am sure I will track down and cure when the weather improves.

Paul.
      Last edited by Doblo7; 13-01-2018, 03:23 PM.
      Seek to make a virtue of necessity.

Comment

Cynthia, can you remember the van Anne and I took to G&P's Melksham rally? Well that is a Fiat/Talbot/Citroen/Peugeot (whatever!). They stopped production of that model in about 1992, so, without being in the least sexist, (because I know you to be a very capable lady!) I don't think it would be the van for you. Frankly, without being able to carry out routine maintenance yourself it would not be financially viable. Anne loves her old van, but I put up with it, as we always have the Royale "proper" caravan, but since buying Guinevere (she is an Autohomes Camelot!) 18 months ago, at a very reduced price from my friendly local dealer I have spent over £2,000 making her better. That is the figure I've spent with repairers, not including work that I have done myself.
        By the time I've done, Guinevere will possibly be one of the best Fiats on the road, but expenditure will far exceed her value! (if I live long enough to finish it!)
        Asidefrom all that, if you bought a petrol version (and bear in mind that I regard diesel as the fuel of Satan!) it would be horrendously expensive to use as a daily driver. (ask me how I know that!), at around 16/18mpg! Much better on distance running, but that is all it does locally. It is much cheaper to run my 4.2 litre Range Rover, but that is on LPG.
        As for convenience, the jury is still out on that.
        In over 50 years touring, Anne and I have tried both camper and caravan, and now I suppose we've found the ideal, in that we have both! And both of an age to enjoy Retro Clubs.
        But, bear in mind that once on site with a camper, you are stuck! Get it all pitched up, plugged in and levelled, then realise that you've got no milk, or whisky, or even worse, cider! Or even if you just want to go out for the day; everything, but everything, has to be packed up and put away before you can move.
        In car and caravan, you leave the van as it is, and use the car.
        The big advantage the camper has over the caravan is if you want to wild camp, but Anne says she's too old for that. It's great for taking the dogs to our favourite dog walking spot and then making a cup of tea when we get back, though. On a cold winter's day you find you've got lots of friend when the kettle goes on!
        So, there're points for and against, but to get a camper with the convenience (!) of Ethel, you would need to spend many, many thousands of pounds.
        The choice is yours!

Comment

Thanks for that emmerson . As I pointed out in post 11, a camper van would just be a dream for me anyway. Even if I sold both the car and caravan I could still only afford to buy an old banger of a camper van. Jumping from the frying pan into the fire, I think! I'm happy with the caravan really, or I will be if Highbridge Caravans can render her water-tight.
          Cynthia

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post
            Thanks for that emmerson . As I pointed out in post 11, a camper van would just be a dream for me anyway. Even if I sold both the car and caravan I could still only afford to buy an old banger of a camper van. Jumping from the frying pan into the fire, I think! I'm happy with the caravan really, or I will be if Highbridge Caravans can render her water-tight.
            Cynthia
            Which I'm sure they will, and you and Ethel will live happily ever after!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumblewagon View Post
              I had a Highwayman too Rennie. Totally reliable, but a bit thirsty and a terrible gear change . Underpowered too.
              Hang on a minute. I had several, I worked on them and indeed I changed one from LHD to RHD. Petrol ones thirsty: yes. 1900cc non turbo diesels: terrible, MMM at the time said they should never have been offered as a model. The HGVs will rocket past you on motorways. Gearchange can be sloppy or can be perfect. If it is sloppy that is easily rectified by renewing three very small tie rods in the mechanism. Just open the bonnet and lean forward, you don't even have to get underneath. If you get a 1900 or I think it's 2300 turbo diesel they are truly excellent and will do 70 all day long. You can wind the speedo back to whatever you want using a couple of sewing needles. I only say that so you should check the .gov web site for the previous MOT history. Not because I have done it. Not because I haven't done it . . . .well you know what I mean.
              Don't be put off till you have seen it and driven it. Watch out for rust at the bottom windscreen corners, bottoms of front doors and cills.
              suivez l'aventure

Comment

Oh by the way, if someone posts their advert on ebay and mis-spells it you might be lucky and get a Fiat for the price of a Fait. I did that a few times looking for a Mecedes on ebay instead of a Mercedes. People looking for a Mercedes wouldn't see the Mecedes for sale so the potential market was somewhat reduced.
                .b.b.b. I have a suspicion that Ebay have made some spelling variations lead to the correct page now. You never know your luck though . . . .
                suivez l'aventure

Comment

Gasgas (in particular): I had to repeat my over-worn joke at the check-out today "That's a singing dog" (a Bach ode) and the chap still couldn't get it. But he said that a friend of his has heard a dog singing in Lattin. (Seemingly Lattin is a place in France).

Paul.
                  Seek to make a virtue of necessity.

Comment

As promised some pics of ours Talbot 1.jpgtalbot 2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
                      Oh by the way, if someone posts their advert on ebay and mis-spells it you might be lucky and get a Fiat for the price of a Fait. I did that a few times looking for a Mecedes on ebay instead of a Mercedes. People looking for a Mercedes wouldn't see the Mecedes for sale so the potential market was somewhat reduced.
                      .b.b.b. I have a suspicion that Ebay have made some spelling variations lead to the correct page now. You never know your luck though . . . .
                      I have used the following link many times as it is supposed to bring up just the bargains you mention Andrew
                      http://www.local-bargain.co.uk/

Comment

Like your piccies rennie , nice van!

Comment

I tried that Sandra but it doesn't work. I wouldn't mind betting that ebay has discovered local-bargain and taken steps to disable it. I tried it both for 'in my area' and 'mis-spelled items' . The first one just gives you a heading of 'ebay.com' and the second gives a list of mis-spellings and says the server can't find it.
                          suivez l'aventure

Comment

That's odd Andrew. If I click on the link I supplied it takes me straight to it.
                            Did you try to put lobay in as a search. I did and it brings up various links

Comment

Originally posted by SandraM View Post
                              That's odd Andrew. If I click on the link I supplied it takes me straight to it.
                              Did you try to put lobay in as a search. I did and it brings up various links
                              Link works fine for me.
                              Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

I used to use a thing called fat fingers which searched for miss spelt items on e-bay. That was how I got a practically brand new Porta Potti for £5 - they'd listed it as a pota potty.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X