As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aldi Special

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aldi Special

Thursday 19th May Special Buy

Portable satellite system

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_19023.htm

I'm first in the queue!
    Think that big box will stay at home.

Tony Anchorman

£50!! crikey thats amazing value,if I understood the technology I would be tempted,but I dont even understand the terms in the advert!

Why would anyone want a bigger one if this works?
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

From all reports I've heard these are as good as many costing three times the price. Pointing them at the right satellite seems to be the only problem, with all of them, not just this one!

Comment

Do you know?

Hello all,
        This looks good, but a simple question (from a simpleton!) can you use it with a laptop or does it only work with a conventional t.v. ?
        All the best
        Andyvan:confused1:

Comment

I guess it will depend on if it has a scart output or not.

My little TV only has an aerial connection, so anything with a scart out is no good for me!

Dave
          SteamyDave http://www.steamydave.co.uk/campervan
          "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Comment

satellite with tv sets with no scart

Hi I think I asked this question several months ago not sure what section it was in but the answer was a programmable universal modulator order number vh89 £29.99 from Maplins I never followed it up as it needed mains I tried too find a 12volt but no luck
            Hope this helps
            Cheers Pete

Comment

It has twin scart, whatever that means ! I am with Ian on this one. I have left the decision with Derek. He may be in the queue at the crack of his dawn.

Comment

Derek has been to Aldi and has gone home to try the system out. It may or may not appear at the meet.

Comment

Got one this morning, guy walking round Aldi said "You'll never get that thing going!" Right I thought!
                  Set up the receiver on my home sat dish first on Astra 28.2 degs. The dish has a suction foot on it, so stuck it on my wheelie bin and got an excellent picture within 2 mins, using the enclosed sat finder and compass. Hope it is that easy on site! Even comes with a flat lead for putting through the vehicle window and closing it.
                  As well as 2 scarts it also has phono outputs.
                  Well impressed so far.

Tony Anchorman
                  Last edited by anchorman; 19-05-2011, 18:46.

Comment

Derek

Did you ever get the sat system working?
                    Have re-adapted my dish onto a camera tripod, removing suction method and bonding a 1/4 Whitworth nut for easy assembly. Why all tripods use Whitworth threads I don't know. Will be using it at meet in Devon hopefully.
                    Pics available if anyone wants them.

Tony Anchorman

Comment

I bought one of these kits the day they went on sale - and ended up taking it back the very next day for a refund!!

It worked OK - but I thought very poor build quality!!

On the one I got, there was no system for trapping the lnb arm to the dish - it just seemed to slot into a square hole at the bottom of the dish - and if a small bird had landed on the arm, it would have just dropped off!!

I could have fixed it in place with a nut and bolt - but I was just not impressed.

Mike

Just realised you are probably refering to the more recent HD kit - I was talking about the original kit of a few weeks ago.
                      Last edited by Yamaha; 19-06-2011, 22:45.

Comment

Mike

The one I got is as the link in the first post. You can see the arm fixing bolt in the picture. Have not road tested on site yet, only at home. Hopefully it may work in Northern France next week, although don't hold out much hope further south. May get a bigger dish if thats the case.

Tony Anchorman

Comment

Yes, I can see the arm retaining screw in that picture - but there definately wasn't one in the kit I bought - I emptied the box to make sure, as it was obvious it needed one!!

Strange - but I still wasn't impressed with it - wonder if anyone bought the HD version that was on sale a few weeks later?

Mike

Comment

Just parked up till Tuesday in Honfleur France and the Aldi satellite up and running in a just a few minutes. Watching one of those automatic dishes on top of a van, it took longer than me to find a signal, using my tripod and plug in locator!

Tony Anchorman

Comment

I'm confused!
                              According to all and sundry, the small Aldi dish is not big enough to receive a signal from where we are down as far as Bordeaux.
                              Fired it up this morning to find any satellite, and found an Astra one. Been watching BBC 1 F1 qualifying and ITV4 Tour de France? 50 Notes well spent methinks.

Tony Anchorman

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X