Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beam me up Scotty, the Starcraft has landed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are very clever MYKE

Comment

It's not a matter of being clever. Anyone can do it. The materials are not very heavy, just a bit messy. You have to think ahead and not try to do too much at a time before the resin starts to set. I use cellulose thinners to clean brushes in between coats. The main thing to remember is that if you do go wrong, you can always chop it out and have another go.

Comment

Originally posted by MYKE View Post
        so I checked the one gallon fuel tank and found it empty. Topped it up, and it now starts and runs a good as ever.

It's fitted with the infamous automatic choke which was trouble from the first day of production, so I've got the makings of a manual choke on order and hope this will prevent having to pour fuel into the carb. in future because apart from anything else, it's jolly damn well dangerous and I don't want to set fire to the thing before I get a chance to use it.
        Ah fuel does help
        On all my kit cars I got rid of the Automatic Choke, as you said improved starting and better economy. Have you got a Webber carb or the horrible ford thing VW? (if my memory is correct) - The Webber was not too bad, but the best I had for economy etc was an 90 degree elbow adapter and an SU carb ex Sherpa 1800 or Marina etc.
        Jon

Comment

Fitted with a webber at the moment, and I think the best strategy would be to get it running best as is before trying to upgrade. However, I do like the SU and I have a few different sizes in my hoard. The mounting holes are drilled at different angles depending on what size the carb. so makes it difficult to swap sizes, although not impossible. I haven't had the carb off yet so I don't know what the manifold fitting looks like. I have noticed that spares for the Webber are very expensive compared to the SU., and there are a lot more bits to wear out.

Comment

Not much progress to report. I'm still trying to find a way of removing the carburettor in order to replace the automatic choke with a manual set up. It's only a matter of three little screws but the heads are tight up against the rocker cover, so ether the carb has to move or the rocker cover has. Niether have clear access to the bolts which hold them in place but there must be a way.

I started to fit the exhaust tail pipe, which is a spiral that wiggles its way over the back axle and alongside the outside of chassis. But this is a kit car, remember? It's six feet longer than the standard car and it has two extra wheels. The silencer is too big to fit between the chassis and the back wheel so I have had to split it from the pipe and I will have to make up an extension to take the silencer back clear of the back wheel and the bodywork. so I've probably spent more time looking at it than getting on with it.

Hopefully we'll see some action soon.

Comment

Originally posted by MYKE View Post
              Not much progress to report. I'm still trying to find a way of removing the carburettor in order to replace the automatic choke with a manual set up. It's only a matter of three little screws but the heads are tight up against the rocker cover, so ether the carb has to move or the rocker cover has. Niether have clear access to the bolts which hold them in place but there must be a way.

I started to fit the exhaust tail pipe, which is a spiral that wiggles its way over the back axle and alongside the outside of chassis. But this is a kit car, remember? It's six feet longer than the standard car and it has two extra wheels. The silencer is too big to fit between the chassis and the back wheel so I have had to split it from the pipe and I will have to make up an extension to take the silencer back clear of the back wheel and the bodywork. so I've probably spent more time looking at it than getting on with it.

Hopefully we'll see some action soon.
              Ah, Myke it's the "looking at it" time that makes a better job in the end! I've spent ages "looking at" my Dragoner caravan,(with glass in hand) but now I've got a fairly clear plan of what I intend to do. I won't stick to the plan, but it's a good start!

Comment

I have seen a Starcraft in the flesh so to speak, as one lived not far from me in the late nineties but I have never seen anything like this Cortina based motorhome. The picture came to me via a FB classic car page.

Comment

Wow! That looks to be a pod mounted on the back of a standard Cortina. Very nice. I wonder what it's like to drive with so much overhang at the back?

Comment

I have seen a few similar conversions, there is one local to me based on a Rover P5b. I believe the Rover has a custom chassis built on the back of the cab to support the pod, in the same way you see chassis cab pick up versions of panel vans.
                    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

I saw the Rover P5b at the recent Classic Car Show at the NEC. It was up for sale for £20k !

Comment

Originally posted by fenman View Post
                        I saw the Rover P5b at the recent Classic Car Show at the NEC. It was up for sale for £20k !
                        I think there must be more than one as I'm pretty sure the one local to me isn't for sale
                        Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

I built this in the late 80s but it didn't look as good as that she I sold it. We had some real fun in it though
                          Attached Files

Comment

Very nice. Is that a Scamp?

Comment

The work never goes away does it? I haven't done a stroke since the beginning of December due to being taken ill at my daughter's. She just doesn't understand that I'm not as young as I used to was and I was left to fight with a leaky inflatable bed, which knocked me out over Christmas and well into the New Year. Then of course, the weather took a turn for the worse and life didn't get back to normal until Monday this week. I've already wasted several days trying to make sense of the ignition switch on the Starcraft, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere so I've left off with that for the time being. I'm making progress with the new exhaust though........

.......This week I decided to have a go at the Wolseley Eight. I'd like to see it on the road this year if I can, and it's been suffering from low oil pressure ever since I got it. Well, I've been putting the job off for long enough so this week, when the sun came out, I finally took the plunge. Engine out, sump off and the oil pump got a stiff looking at. A rubber seal had fallen apart after seventy years so there's no wonder the car's nearly as rough as I am.

Anyway, the engine is back in the car now. A few more days fiddling and I'll be able to see if it was all worth while.

Then maybe i'll be able to find time to do a bit more on the Starcraft........

000_0670.JPG

Comment

Ah. Those were the days when you could get an engine out! I think now you need a big crane and disconnect the whole front suspension, steering and all with the engine attached. Then lift the body off the front engine / suspension assembly. If you want a real laugh, poke inside one of those A class motorhomes with a bonnet that measures 3ft by 1ft. I bet they hardly ever get actually 'serviced'. My Fiat Ducato regular panel van fuel filter is so hard to get at I will have to pay someone else to change it. Having said that of course, it will probably last 50,000 miles, and in any case will have a warning light attached.
                                I sympathise with 'hard work' knocking you out. I recall getting my dad to help me move house when he was 68. He said 'don't ask me to do this again' and now I am that age, I have said to my kids 'don't ask me to move your furniture'. I can't help wondering how 70 year old brickies are going to continue working till they get their pension. It's all very well MPs saying you have to work to 70, but they don't have to work, they just sit on leather benches and shout at each other and throw paper aeroplanes across the chamber.
                                Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding. Proverbs 3

Comment