Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beam me up Scotty, the Starcraft has landed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
    I built this in the late 80s but it didn't look as good as that she I sold it. We had some real fun in it though
    I like that very much, very cute, although the cab looks like it may be rather cosy. Was it possible to move from cab straight into the pod without going outside?

Comment

Originally posted by MYKE View Post
      Anyway, the engine is back in the car now. A few more days fiddling and I'll be able to see if it was all worth while.
      Then maybe i'll be able to find time to do a bit more on the Starcraft........
      I am so impressed by how much you take on and get done. Look after your health and keep on with the things you enjoy most. Love the photos, both Wolseley and Starcraft, and look forward to seeing more

Comment

I agree with all that has been said about work at 70 by gasgas and MYKE - a few weeks back I had to change the radiator and it was a real killer. Jobs that used to take an hour now take half a day. Working outside is far harder than it used to be. I keep putting off changing the discs and new pads - until the weather is warmer and the wind drops. Then I suppose new shoes for the rear brakes.
        I will also have to change the timing belt that involves lying right under the van - so I guess as a precaution I should change the altenator / waterpump V belt.
        When I think back 15 or 16 years ago I changed a timing belt on a VW Scirroco in about 2 hours by the side of the road. What has happened to my body?
        All that says why I admire you MYKE I could not envisage taking on 2 major restoration jobs!
        Jon

Comment

Finally back together and running as it should folks. 35 lbs oil pressure, which is what the book says it should have. Just the brakes to sort out now and it's all cosmetics from there on.

003.JPG

Comment

Good job but I would suggest you put some fuel in the tank before you fire her up again... Either that or get the fuel guage working...
            Too old to know everything!

Comment

Ah! Well spotted but there's method in my madness.
              I have been working on this one off and on for about five years now and even real petrol went off after a time. The modern stuff doesn't last five minutes so I only put about half a gallon in. I've only been running it for five minutes at a time and it's only been moved around the garden. The tank has been sealed against ethanol so it's all ready to be filled up when I'm ready to start wearing the roads out.

Did you notice that the Ammeter is showing full charge? This happens every time I start it, even on a full battery. 6 volt. It just has to top up the electricity actually used in starting.
              Guages can send you loopy. You don't get oil pressure guages on modern cars, just warning lights and they go off with a pressure of about four lbs. The light goes out and you stop worrying, but a guage can send you round the twist.
              Last edited by MYKE; 22-02-2019, 18:53.

Comment

The Wolseley is progressing now and I live in hope of actually having it on the road within the next month or so. I'm going to need it. The Peugeot has always been a bit under powered and difficult to start in winter, so having done all the tests I could think of, I put it into the local garage . They tell me the compressions are down on two cylinders. The easiest and quickest way to sort that will be to do an engine swap. I could just sell it and buy something else, but this has been such a useful vehicle to me, and I have replaced all the dodgy parts since I have had it, I would be going back to square one. It's better to stick a decent engine in. Anyway, It should normally take about a week, but due to my state of health I have to allow a month for the weather and needing to buy unexpected parts etc. Hence the need to get the Wolseley sorted asap.

A couple of weeks ago I finally managed to get both the Wolseley and the Starcraft mobile at the same time. The Starcraft is now over my mini pit, where I wanted the delivery man to drop it off in the first place and I managed to have a good look underneath for the first time. It looks good. Nice and solid but no space to mount the MGB petrol tank which I think is about the best for the job..

The history of the vehicle is beginning to make sense now. It looks like this one was assembled by the factory and delivered to the first owner as a basic conversion with its original no. but registered as a Motor Caravan. The floor appears to be original and the sides were never closed in. The ply has been painted black and there is no sign of mud or road debris under the wheel arches, which makes me think it hasn't been on the road much. It appears that the vehicle was used for a few outings just as it was and then taken off the road and stripped out for upgrading. It never happened. There have been twenty owners and it appears that none of them have been able to complete the job. All have stripped a little more away and it looks like I'm the first to put anything back:- I've got the ignition working. It runs and stops, but that's about it. I've delayed removing the fixings for the original tank until I was sure where the new one was going, but I chopped the cradle out last night. The MGB tank will now go behind my seat and in front of the middle / rear wheel. Then I'll box in the underside to protect the tank from flying stones etc.

I'm aiming for having it usable for next year but we'll just have to see........

Comment

Just for the record, I've mentioned this on the daily thread but you know what they say, Today's news is tomorrow's fish and chip paper.......
                  ....... The Wolseley is now taxed and insured and ready to wear some Tarmack off the road. Still lots to do inside and a bit of polishing to do, but the pressure is off. I can get on with other things including the Starcraft, which I would like to be able to use next year.

000_0725.JPG000_0724.JPG

Comment

Have you seen there are no less than 3 Starcraft for sale on eBay at the moment? 2 Corrina based and one P100. The latter looks really lovely
                    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

MYKE Your Wolsey looks fantastic! Am really impressed and hope to see it in the flesh one day. Well done.
                      Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Hi All, I have just subscribed to the site after finding it on the web whillst researching "Starcraft" campers/mobile homes (call them what you will) having just purchased one. This is one of the original ones based on a 1972 Ford Cortina MK3 although it looks nothing like one. What I have discovered is that this one was supplied in kit form from its American manufacturers complete with and extended chassis with twin rear axles. The process was to cut the car in half then add the longer chassis before building the camper on it from the body kit supplied. From what I can gather, the interior fittings were also provided and could be changed around to suit individual layout preferences, the one I have has the door on the near side rear as the one in your pictures with the kitchen immediately inside under the rear window, other pictures I have seen show a rear entrance with the kitchen fitted along the side wall.
                        Some time during the 1980's a deal was done with Spartan (kit car manufacturers) who supplied the bodies to UK customers either for self assembly or as a completely built unit designed to use the Ford P100 pick up as the base vehicle with either single or twin rear axles, there is one of these currently for sale on ebay uk.
                        The one I have purchased, although not collected yet, is complete and running and currently taxed, being registered over 40 years ago qualifies as a vehicle of historic interest and hence free road tax and MOT exempt. I have contacted my insurers, I use Haggerty, who have quoted me £107 fully comp which I think is reasonable for this type and size of vehicle as the cars I have insured with them come in around the £90 mark.
                        I intend to use it just for classic car shows, the thought of camping in it does not appeal although it would be quite acceptable being fitted with all amenities including a toilet. There are one or two bits that need a little tidying up but overall it is ready to use. I will try to add some pictures once I get it home.
                        If anyone else has one or knows an owner of one please get in touch it would be nice to compare notes with others.
                        Cheers,
                        Ray.

Comment

Lovely to hear about your starcraft Raimondo
                          Welcome to the site

I look forward to the pictures

Comment

Hi Raimondo, Welcome to the forum. It's nice to know I am no longer alone and there is at least one other Starcraft owner out there. Your insurance quote is very encouraging. I wasn't sure what to expect but was looking forward to it maybe being uneconomical, although as you say, being a vehicle of historic interest makes it very worthwhile. I haven't done anything to mine this year due to other projects which have taken over priority. I have just put my Wolseley on the road and I have a few teething troubles to deal with. Also my Peugeot needs a new engine. That has just reached crisis point and will have to be done like Yesterday, but I am hoping to be able to get at the Starcraft again before the weather breaks. I have some more fibreglassing to do and I am still not happy with the rear door arrangement. I'm still hoping to have mine ready for next season when it will become "Historic".
                            Looking forward to seeing how you get on with yours.

Comment

Hey, Myke, did you Know that "beam me up Scotty" was never said on Startrek? It was a a true or false question in our quiz last night.

Comment