Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beam me up Scotty, the Starcraft has landed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beam me up Scotty, the Starcraft has landed.

I posted the news on the Technical tips section under "Waxoyling your van", .when it arrived here but I can see this is going to be a long term topic so I'm opening a new thread. Where to begin.......

Well, a long time ago in a far distant galaxy...... I bought a Haynes Motor Caravan Manual and there was a Starcraft featured on a couple of the pages. I was smitten. I wanted one even though there was little information available, and no pictures of the interior layout.

Since then I've only seen one in the flesh, so it has always remained a bit of a pipe dream. Until this appeared on Ebay a few weeks ago with a buy it now price which I thought was a bit high. I put it on my watch list just out of interest and it didn't sell, It was re-listed at the same price and once again it didn't sell.

Then it re-appeared on a normal auction at £501.00 with fourteen bids. and that was it for the next two weeks, except a 15th bid put the price up to £511. That gave me the information that the bids were going up by ten pounds at a time. The people who were interested were being greedy, and out for a bargain. I, on the other hand, wanted it. I worked out what I thought it was worth, and that was my maximum bid.

One minute before the end I bid ten pounds more than the current bid, then I entered my maximum bid and pressed the key six seconds before the end. I won't tell you what my maximum bid was, except to say that it was about double what anyone else was bidding. I won of course, and the price was nearly five hundred less than I was prepared to pay.

Then things started to get a bit complicated. I was all set to go and collect it on the "A" frame. That's when the seller told me that the tyres were badly cracked and it wouldn't be safe to tow. It would need a trailer. It was also in secure storage on a farm with a lot of valuable stuff and it needed twenty four hours notice to get in. The next two weekends were taken up by a car Rally and a wedding but I finally arranged for the Starcraft to be picked up last Wednesday. Tuesday night the seller telephoned me to say the transport company had been in touch to say that the driver who was booked for the job had broken his collar bone so another driver would be sent on Thursday.

Thursday morning we had a Doctor's appointment at twenty past eleven. We left home at quarter past. We arrived back at tentyfive to twelve to find the delivery truck with the Starcraft half unloaded on the wrong part of the garden, but too late to do anything about it. Not bad timing for a 120 mile trip eh?

Really looking forward to the rebuild MYKE

Comment

Sounds really exciting Myke, there used to be one parked regularly the same time I went shopping at the supermarket, always thought what a nice van it looked.

Comment

MYKE I've always liked the look of Starcraft, can't see your pictures though, good luck with the rebuild, really looking forward to seeing you roll up to one of our meets in your Starcraft.
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by MYKE View Post

Then things started to get a bit complicated. I was all set to go and collect it on the "A" frame. That's when the seller told me that the tyres were badly cracked and it wouldn't be safe to tow. It would need a trailer. It was also in secure storage on a farm with a lot of valuable stuff and it needed twenty four hours notice to get in.
          This information should have been detailed on the bidding page, not mentioned after a sale had been reached! I know you didn't want to back out of a sale, as you wanted the vehicle to restore, but you could have done, as it was not accurately described.

Comment

Graham: I'm aiming to have it ready for next season. Maybe a bit ambitious but I would like to get an MOT on it to make sure everything is as it should be. It will be 40 years old on 1st January 2020. That means it will be exempt from MOT and free road tax. You see how I'm thinking? With all the fibreglass and the solid steel hollow section chassis it will last forever if only I can sort it out. Long term plan is to convert it to run on LPG., but that's for the future. It's been off the road for a long time and it's been mucked about with. Someone has tried to do everything all at once and it doesn't work like that. You have to concentrate on one area at a time if you want to get finished, It's ok to work on one area in a day, and do another area next time, and if it's raining I can always work on the inside. You just have to keep track of what has, and has not been done.

At the moment, it starts with difficulty, and it runs ok once it warms up, but nothing else works. All the connectors have been pulled out of the fuse box and the new bodywork is too close to get my hands in do anything with it. I have a solution. I'm going to bypass the fuse box and put another one in a position where I can get at it. All being well, by the end of the week the instruments will work and I may even have lights and wipers if I'm lucky.

Jayjay: Yes, I agree, and it cost me extra to pay for transportation when I had intended doing it myself, But I paid £500 less for it than I consider it to be worth so I'm still quids in. I knew I was buying work when I first saw it advertised. Maybe I didn't know how much work but it's my decision, my responsibility. It's up to me to sort it out.

Comment

Surely you need a very big HEATED garage to get that up and running by next spring? I hope you do, I would love to come and see it.
              Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding. Proverbs 3

Comment

I have a fair sized front garden, and the Sun has done a fair job of heating it over the last couple of months. I dug a sort of mini pit a few years ago, about two feet deep so I could get under a car without ramps. I have dug it a bit deeper so I can stand up under the Starcraft. Just one of the "Other" projects I have in hand.

Comment

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but please be aware that all sorts of noxious gases can sink to the bottom of a pit and lay there waiting for you to breathe them in. Just saying take care. Good luck with the project. GeeCee

Comment

I've always liked the look of these and was nearly tempted about 12 years ago when one was for sale locally - but I knew any work needed would be beyond me and my bank balance. Good luck with the project and hope to see it in a field somewhere next year.

Comment

MYKE please keep us up to date - next one that comes up I may go for - although I also like the little Rickman Ranchers - a sort of forerunner of the Surf NV
                      re your Starcraft - I think it was the same seller - told me the brakes were fine ditto electrics and could be driven away. I'm glad I did not bid on it. Nearly did but ....
                      Jon

Comment

This one came from Consett near Newcastle and I was told It starts, runs and stops. Well, it starts and runs. It seems to be running better each time I start it so maybe it just needs a few cobwebs blowing out? I bridged across the fuse box and the clock now works, but nothing else, so the plan is to let an auto electrician have a look at it. I think that will save time and money in the long run. I haven't actually driven it yet, so I don't know about the brakes, but they feel ok.

It has obviously been in storage for a long time. both doors were difficult to open from outside and the windows had to be left open the first night it was here so that I could reach in and open them with the inside handles. That was the first job and now they both open and close as they should. Problem was that it came without any keys so I can't lock it up. I can do it from inside the habitation dept. but....

The door to the habitation is going to present a problem. The seller said that it would need to be re-hung. I think it will be easier to make a new one from scratch and maybe make it in one piece with a second separate lower door inside. I have a gallon of fibreglass resin on order so that will be fun.

I was hoping to get a 12 volt supply from the front end in order to start wiring the back, but I'll let an expert play in that area and connect it up when
                        I know it's right. Today's job is to untangle the mess of wires in the back and try to make some sense of them.

001.JPG
                        007.JPG
                        Last edited by MYKE; 30-08-2018, 10:30.

Comment

[QUOTE=MYKE;n288280]

The door to the habitation is going to present a problem. The seller said that it would need to be re-hung. I think it will be easier to make a new one from scratch and maybe make it in one piece with a second separate lower door inside. I have a gallon of fibreglass resin on order so that will be fun.

__________________________________________________ ___

I'm developing an interest in fibreglass () so will watch your progress keenly @MYKE

Comment

Originally posted by MYKE View Post
                            This one came from Consett near Newcastle and I was told It starts, runs and stops. Well, it starts and runs. It seems to be running better each time I start it so maybe it just needs a few cobwebs blowing out? I bridged across the fuse box and the clock now works, but nothing else, so the plan is to let an auto electrician have a look at it. I think that will save time and money in the long run. I haven't actually driven it yet, so I don't know about the brakes, but they feel ok.

It has obviously been in storage for a long time. both doors were difficult to open from outside and the windows had to be left open the first night it was here so that I could reach in and open them with the inside handles. That was the first job and now they both open and close as they should. Problem was that it came without any keys so I can't lock it up. I can do it from inside the habitation dept. but....

I was hoping to get a 12 volt supply from the front end in order to start wiring the back, but I'll let an expert play in that area and connect it up when
                            I know it's right. Today's job is to untangle the mess of wires in the back and try to make some sense of them.

001.JPG
                            007.JPG
                            Then the one I was after was a different one - the one I was after was in the midlands top end of M5.

Re door I saw a Starcraft at Stoneleigh one year, which took Starcraft to another dimension - the door had been made / modified to be one piece - it then hinged along the top and using tailgate rams it opened upwards. I think he had also incorporated an electric motor - it did look impressive when he opened it. Of course the drawback might be the rams getting weak which is sometimes a problem with older hatchbacks / estate cars.

Jon

Comment

I'm looking at the habitation door at the moment. but there are issues in all areas on this vehicle and I'm going to have to be careful not to get bogged down and overwhelmed with it. That's obviously what's happened to several previous owners.

The shape of the body is awkward to say the least and the door has been very badly fitted. Fitting the new floor appears to have caused some damage to the area wher it joins the body around the lower door / wheel arch area, and I will have to sort that out before I do anything else. I think I can arange the hinges on the lower door so that it will open square to the body like a normal door instead of flopping at a funny angle like all the images I have seen. Once I get the lower door sorted, the plan is to make the upper door open upward as suggested on rams, and probably fastening with a door mechanism from a Morris Minor Traveller which I think I have in the hoard somewhere.

I won a grill assembly on Ebay and went to collect it yesterday from a company in Pontifract. A nightmare of a trip. The address they gave was a mill, but the postcode took me to "Station Road", which turned out to be all housing with no mill in sight. and we were about to set off home when we found a council worker who said there was a mill about six miles away which may be what we were looking for. she got the post code for us , and eventually we found the place we were looking for. It turned out to be on the Great North Road, not far frome where we got lost trying to find the Spring Rally site earlier this year.

When we arrived it took about five minutes before we found anyone at all, and they knew nothing about our purchase. Fortunately I had made a print out of the Ebay payment so I was able to prove that I had bought and paid for the item. He took me into the warehouse and sked "Which one did you buy"? There was a choice of four and none of them matched what I had bought so it was a matter of mixing and matching until I had what I had paid for. Then I spotted a sink unit which matched our cooker. "Twenty quid". " Ok" says I reaching for the bank card. "Cash only". Says he. I had twenty quid in my wallet, but by now we had been away from home for over four hours and we were getting hungry. We would need the cash for something to eat on the way home so we left the sink with them and made our merry way home.

Note to self: Don't buy anything else from a dealer in Pontifract.

Comment