Hiring out your Camper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiring out your Camper

Has anybody tried this and specifically through "Camplify" ?

Be grateful if you would share your experiences, good or bad.

Personally, I would not contemplate hiring out my campervan to a total stranger, even through an intermediary firm. Too great a risk never seeing it again. Our campervans hold their value so well because they are getting quite rare, almost impossible to replace in the event of theft.

However, I think the same about our home, and yet some people do home swaps, again through an intermediary firm, and things work out fine.
    Last edited by NomadSue; 02-11-2018, 11:09 PM.
    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

I have been thinking about this but not yet decided whether I will do it or not. My van is very new to me and it feels too soon to let others take it away. I am thinking I might do it next year in the springtime.

I've looked at a few agencies that do it. Insurance is one of my concerns as some of them have a "co-insurance" clause that looks a bit dodgy to me. I'm kind of leaning towards Quirky Campers at the moment, their commission is on the high side, but everything else they do looks good - your van needs to be a bit "quirky" for them to take an interest though!

Comment

I suppose NomadSue that it's a bit more difficult for someone to abscond with your house than your van. Although I share your reservations about hiring out either.

I can't see us ever hiring out the van, though we​​​​​ might be willing to lend it to family! I can imagine situations where we would rent out the house though.
        Geoff

Comment

Well "QUIRKY" fits my van. But no way - I love my little van - it would be a step too far. I have put too much time and effort into it to allow a stranger to use it.
          jon
          Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
          https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

I talked to Quirky a couple of times, they were very helpful. My van is an 04 and I do look after it well but things do break, so in the end I was too concerned that even with nice people things would break and they were unlikely to know the van and look after it as well as me, if it was stolen it’s insured, it was more damage that put me off in the end.

Comment

I would not consider hiring anything to anyone other than friends or family. We had a mobile home a few years ago which we hired out quite successfully for two seasons. It paid for the site rent and general upkeep, but then I had my opp. and couldn't drive for six weeks. It just happened to coincide with when the van was booked by Mr. & Mrs. Smith. When we were able to visit the van ourselves we were told that there had been up to nine people sleeping in the van, drinking and making noise late at night and upsetting other residents.
              The van was left in a disgusting state. More or less everything needed replacing and we ended up scrapping the van. Of course, we never heard from Mr. & Mrs. Smith again and the address they had given was a false one.
              You live and learn........

Comment

my sentiments exactly Myke.

Comment

Our van, being what it is, is our little pride and joy and there is no way on this little blue planet would I want to hire it out to total strangers. I might, at a huge push, lend it to family, but even that is not up for consideration unless circumstance dictates otherwise.

Comment

We looked into this for this year as we know our use of the van would be limited due to son's wedding and wife's parents' ill health. They do have it fairly well sorted and it is a bit like renting our your house though Sykes Cottages (which we also looked at when we were using the van extensively).

Obviously the first part to get over, as people here have intimated, is the emotional thing of letting someone else use your van. If you can think of it as just an asset and you have deposits etc for any damage then you'll be fine (we love using our van but to us it is just a campervan - to others they are much more and we get that even if we do not feel it).

However the killer for us was how little we would actually get. Ours is a lwb Transit La Strada Pronto and while it is not in the first flush of use I know they'd recharging at least £500 pw for it, they offered us a lot less than that. That was the deal breaker for us. Interestingly when we looked at renting our cottage out with Sykes they wanted a hefty 20%-25% for doing very little - again we didn't take them up on that.

I think they've got the system pretty well sorted, but you're obviously not guaranteed hires and you have to do a fair bit of the prep etc yourself.

Comment