Habitation check.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Habitation check.

How many of you have a yearly habitation check and is it really necessary? Having paid £230 for ours last year, apart from the service which was just as much and an MOT, we have decided that we either skip a check this year or have a mobile checker who charges so much less and did my daughters caravan. Yes we would go to Ants to have it done but as the other half says, He doesn't want to travel that far.
    Jessie

The mobile engineers are just as qualified and if it were me, I'd go for that!
    £230 is a lot of money. However, you use a motorhome more than a caravan I think, so you need the checks every year.

I have mine checked (small caravan) once every two years as it's only being checked after approx 3-4 weeks use per year. And check it over myself in the interim using the Haynes caravan manual. The only thing I need someone out to check is the gas and electrics, no way would I trust myself on that score - even with the manual!

(ducking under cover here after saying the above!!)

I wonder if theres a book available (like the caravan manual) that would help you to do these checks yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by jessiem View Post
      Yes we would go to Ants to have it done but as the other half says, He doesn't want to travel that far.
      Jessie I would go to Ant's, do what we do and make a little holiday of it, there are some good sites around there, last time we went we stopped here
      http://youtu.be/t6EBAw0BD9I

Or you could pay a bit more and stay here http://youtu.be/3Fii5qAw3Nk

They are both within a short drive of Ant's. He will do you a service, MoT AND a gas and electric check for about the same price you paid for your habitation check, probably less, he'll also lend you a car to go sightseeing while he does it for you.

Habitation checks are the biggest rip off imaginable, all that is really necessary is the gas and electric check, you can check cupboard doors etc., yourself.
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

We pay £50 each year for ours from Leisuredrive at Bolton. Bit of a phaff getting up there, but probably well worth it as they can sort out all kinds of little niggles like the roof vent popping up while driving, missing washers etc!
        Mary

Comment

So okay!
          I had never heard of a "habitation check" until it appeared on here!
          Is it something I should do?
          I bought my first caravan in 1967, and with the odd gap have been a fairly consistent owner of caravans (probably around twelve) ever since.
          I check the gas and electrics every year and do my own servicing of brakes etc. But am I remiss in not having a yearly "habitation check"? Is my health or well-being at risk?
          I don't have such a check on my house - so why a caravan or motorhome?
          In my own defence I wll add that I am a well qualified Motor Engineer and I am familiar with gas as an ex Calor Approved Fitter/convertor of petrol vehicles to run on gas (dual fuel).
          (ignorant) Jim.
          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Hi Jim, you're not the only one! I was quite unaware that the checks carried out on my mh and later the caravan were indeed entitled, 'habitation checks'! The cost varies widely, but if you want to know what's included in the checks carried out, there are links to download them as PDF files below:

There's a checklist you can download for mh's here: (scroll down the page for the download link.

http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/annualcheck.shtml

and one for caravan (and another for MH's) can be downloaded from here:

http://www.readcaravans.com/workshop/service.php

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
              I am a well qualified Motor Engineer and I am familiar with gas as an ex Calor Approved Fitter/convertor of petrol vehicles to run on gas (dual fuel).
              (ignorant) Jim.
              We have ours done because its complusory for the 3 year guarantee Leisuredrive give on their new conversions. Will probably carry on with it in the future.

Jim, I am totally in awe in of your experience and abilities. Sadly archaeologist/antique dealer/book seller skills do not translate into real life quite as well! Now - if you've got a roman temple to excavate, a piece of art deco porcelain you would like to know more about, or a first edition Biggles - I would be happy to help
              Last edited by Vanderella; 07-09-2011, 16:33.
              Mary

Comment

I do my own checks and service the fridge and I have a friend who is corgi registered who checks the gas supply. However you should only touch 240v electrics if you are confident and know how to interpret the regs (I rewired my house and then had it checked by a qualified electrician).

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Vanderella View Post
                  We have ours done because its complusory for the 3 year guarantee Leisuredrive give on their new conversions. Will probably carry on with it in the future.

Jim, I am totally in awe in of your experience and abilities. Sadly archaeologist/antique dealer/book seller skills do not translate into real life quite as well! Now - if you've got a roman temple to excavate, a piece of art deco porcelain you would like to know more about, or a first edition Biggles - I would be happy to help
                  BIGGLES! WOW! And Algy, Ginger Etc.
                  I wish I was a schoolboy just reading those for the first time!
                  Last edited by Twolitre; 08-09-2011, 07:52.
                  Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

It was Jane Eyre for me (probably a 'girl thing')
                    Mary

Comment

Habitation checks are the biggest rip off imaginable, all that is really necessary is the gas and electric check, you can check cupboard doors etc., yourself.[/QUOTE]

Quite right Graham, totally agree.

Comment

I have been campervanning for nearly 4 decades and NEVER had a habitation check.
                        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Like Ian I have NEVER had a habitation check myself, in my opinion another rip off, a habitation check was done by the dealer when I first purchased it, in my MH I have a gas leak monitor professionly installed, I look after my electrics, and take care of all other fittings etc. being a pensioner, Tax, Insurance, MOT, and a Service once a year is a big expence, I do less than 5,000 miles per year and keep my MH in excellent condition. a habitation check is the last thing I need.
                          Happy motoring...........:so happy:
                          Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                          'Live without regrets'

Comment

But, with those of you who don't have a habitation check, do you still get someone qualified out every now and then to check your gas pipes and electric/battery wiring? And also, do you check that the air ducts are not blocked and that the fridge/cooker is running/burning properly?

Comment

I certainly check my van over in the spring for the coming season, safety is my main concern, yes I check air ducts, electric wiring, motor and leisure battery condition monitored with meter coupled with solar pannel, I can see the cooker is clean and working properly, no I do not check the fridge regarding the gas burning properly as I very rarely use gas for the fridge, always have EHU when possible, and as I said I have a gas leak monitor fitted, should anything go wrong the money I saved on habitation check will go on the repair, so far that has not happend, to me it's like taking out an extended waranty on a new purchase, I never do that either, and have never had anything brake down in over fifty five years.
                              But that's me, that's what I do, everybody has the choice. Happy camping folks.........
                              Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                              'Live without regrets'

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X