As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brand new camper van for less than £40,000!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lincoln57 View Post
    You may wish to look at the "Autotrail Unhappy Owners Group" on Facebook. Appears there have been quite a few quality issues, mostly with their coachbuilt models. Don't know if their PVCs have the same problems.
    I haven't been impressed with the AutoTrails I have seen in dealers and shows. All a bit floppy. But cheap. The chassis / van will outlast the innards
    Nil desperandum. In loco parenthesis: My old man's in inverted commas.

Comment

Originally posted by emmerson View Post

.....and you're still married!
      Pauline forgot her hearing aids.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandabloke View Post
        Nice! like the look of the Carabus amd I've always been a fan of Renault vans as well.

Well found!

Panda
        The Carabus is the only possible one to compare: the others are just tiddly vans. To get actual beds in, you need a long wheelbase.

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post

I haven't been impressed with the AutoTrails I have seen in dealers and shows. All a bit floppy. But cheap. The chassis / van will outlast the innards
          I think you could be right! There is a complaint on that group where a chap wound out his awning and the side of the van came away with it!

Comment

There was a make of van conversion I knew of when I was an agent for Lown Motorhomes, the chap was an ex-liner cabinet maker. I think they are still going, but low profile. His timber work was a joy to behold and I considered buying one. Someone pointed out that the inside of the van would last longer than the van itself so I didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandabloke View Post
              Good, honest review of the van here: https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/mo...pervan/1024901

And interesting to spot in the review that the cab does come with insulated screens as standard, it is just the pleated blinds that are extra, so a bonus there!

The reviewers have picked up on the lack of cab radio and missing TV aerial socket, too, though. I don't see this as a real problem to be honest, as I have said.

The more I read the more I am interested.....

Panda
              Kevin Pandabloke .... you're not thinking of forsaking Hettie are you?! Mind you, there would probably soon be a queue forming to buy her if you did decide on an upgrade!
              Cynthia

Comment

I have to say that I looked at Auto-Trail's Adventure model at the NEC last year and I thought the build quality was excellent. However, they are not motorhomes, they are panel van conversions. Maybe it is the build quality of the coachbuilts that are a cause for concern? I'n not on Facebook and have no need to return to it, so unfortunately I can't monitor the suggested group.
                Howver, I am always glad of warnings of potential problems and also other people's opinions and experiences.

I'm still very keen to view one of these. I shall get back on to Auto-Trail and see where my nearest one is.

Hi CyberCynth. The long term plan has always been to replace Hettie, but probably not yet. Certainly we need to come out of these current times so that I can be certain of job scurity etc. before investing in smething new(er). My interest in brand new panel vans was sparked last year by viewing the Westfalia Amundsen at £39,995 which was a remarkable price for a quality van. Once I worked out the financial implications, I realised that in a couple of years I wouldn't be a million miles away from being able to afford a new base van.
                That doesn't mean, I'm going to, of course, but I'm definitely keeping my options open and my interest sparked.

There were two options initially. Either staying small and buying the wonderful little Hillside Dalbury on the NV 200, or going much bigger in to a Fiat Ducato sized van. Once Hillside stopped producing the Dalbury, due to Nissan not importing the NV 200 anymore, my mind was sort of made up for me really.

Why new? Well if you look at the price of a lot of 3 year old vans, they haven't dropped that much in price. Late Dalbury's were selling secondhand last year at the same price as they were sold new!

However, these are just my considerations, I know that a lot of people wouldn't dream of buying new and I wouldn't dispute their decisions.

Panda
                https://www.youtube.com/user/pandabloke

Comment

If anyone is interested in the Carabus 600K we pick ours up next month. I had 2 scary visits to Hospital this year and almost a third and we want to take the grandkids away on hols so the Topaz went and the Carabus is on its way. With all the other problems in the world we decided that the savings we had for old age should be used now before its too late as we are mid 60s anyway. I am now officially skint !

Comment

Originally posted by MrSteveVee View Post
                    If anyone is interested in the Carabus 600K we pick ours up next month. I had 2 scary visits to Hospital this year and almost a third and we want to take the grandkids away on hols so the Topaz went and the Carabus is on its way. With all the other problems in the world we decided that the savings we had for old age should be used now before its too late as we are mid 60s anyway. I am now officially skint !
                    You can't take the money with you so make memories while you can. Our savings took a massive hit to buy our Stepwagon day van in the summer but it's been an absolute god send being able to go on long day trips and picnic in comfort, has kept us sane while we haven't been able to get away properly
                    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X