As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Height barriers

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Height barriers

    I would appreciate advice on height barriers. What do Members encounter on their travels?

    Have yous encountered barriers set between 2.0 metres and 2.5 metres?

    Multi-storey car parks are usually and perhaps always restricted to 2.0 metres. (Our vehicle is 2.0 metres, so we can't get in).

    Is the next step up, 2.5 metres? If it is, we could fit a roof box taking us up to 2.4 metres for a short length at the rear (not a lot of windage) and we would then meet no additional obstacles.

    But what about ferries, bridges, etc?

    Paul
    Last edited by Doblo7; 04-12-2011, 10:36. Reason: punctuation
    Seek to make a virtue of necessity.

    #2
    Meadowhall shopping centre, and at least one supermarket in the 'Crystal Peaks' shopping centre, both around Sheffield, have the dangly height warning markers, and posted limits of 2.10 metres.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Doblo7 View Post
      I would appreciate advice on height barriers. What do Members encounter on their travels?

      Have yous encountered barriers set between 2.0 metres and 2.5 metres?

      Multi-storey car parks are usually and perhaps always restricted to 2.0 metres. (Our vehicle is 2.0 metres, so we can't get in).

      Is the next step up, 2.5 metres? If it is, we could fit a roof box taking us up to 2.4 metres for a short length at the rear (not a lot of windage) and we would then meet no additional obstacles.

      But what about ferries, bridges, etc

      Paul
      If we are going somewhere new we often check out carparks etc on Google Earth and Parkopedia has a wealth of useful info.

      We get very angry at Park & Ride height barriers - grrrr!! How stupid

      Not sure about the different nuances of height barriers, perhaps someone else can help on that? We are so big we dont fit under any!
      Mary

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks, Jim and Mary. Sheffield looks a bit bleak for high vehicles: how do suppliers deliver?

        I can't find reference to height barriers in Mary's links: perhaps it's because the software on this computer is ancient and we can't run videos for example.

        Are there route planners that include headroom restrictions, or maps that show height restrictions? Or does one simply turn up and hope to see them and stop in time, and be able to find an alternative route?

        Paul.
        Seek to make a virtue of necessity.

        Comment


          #5
          Meadowhall Parking

          Originally posted by JimD View Post
          Meadowhall shopping centre, and at least one supermarket in the 'Crystal Peaks' shopping centre, both around Sheffield, have the dangly height warning markers, and posted limits of 2.10 metres.
          I don't know where JimD is looking only the multi story car parks are restricted by height barriers and rightly so we don't want roofs knocked off do we.

          At the M1 side of Meadowhall there is a huge Coach and Lorry park with a footbridge to the shopping centre at the other side there are about 8 large car and van parking zones with parking for thousands of vehicles with no barriers this is the ones we use there are usually several coachbuilts on these spots
          Most height barriers we have seen all vary from 2.0M to 2.2M
          Alf

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Doblo7 View Post
            T

            I can't find reference to height barriers in Mary's links: perhaps it's because the software on this computer is ancient and we can't run videos for example.

            Paul.
            The way we use Parkopedia to find out about height barriers is ............put in the place you are going to, ie. Chester. It will give you a list of car parks with lots of details, size, opening times etc. You can go to Street View and check out the actual car park to see if there is a height barrier. Saved us many a problem when visiting a new place.
            Mary

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Doblo7 View Post
              I would appreciate advice on height barriers. What do Members encounter on their travels?

              Have yous encountered barriers set between 2.0 metres and 2.5 metres?

              Multi-storey car parks are usually and perhaps always restricted to 2.0 metres. (Our vehicle is 2.0 metres, so we can't get in).

              Is the next step up, 2.5 metres? If it is, we could fit a roof box taking us up to 2.4 metres for a short length at the rear (not a lot of windage) and we would then meet no additional obstacles.

              But what about ferries, bridges, etc?

              Paul
              I have to admit I have never undestood the concept of height restrictions other than where it would be physically impossible for a vehicle over a certain height to go, the only explanation I have heard for other height barriers is to keep "undesirables" out, can't undesirables arrive by car, or bicycle, or on foot, why is the height of a vehicle the only criteria? oops just fell off my soapbox !!!!!

              derek b and Babs
              derek b and Babs

              Comment


                #8
                Parking Help

                Originally posted by Vanderella View Post
                The way we use Parkopedia to find out about height barriers is ............put in the place you are going to, ie. Chester. It will give you a list of car parks with lots of details, size, opening times etc. You can go to Street View and check out the actual car park to see if there is a height barrier. Saved us many a problem when visiting a new place.
                Thanks for the link its a brill site one to bookmark for future use
                Many thanks

                Alf

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by alf39 View Post
                  I don't know where JimD is looking only the multi story car parks are restricted by height barriers and rightly so we don't want roofs knocked off do we.

                  At the M1 side of Meadowhall there is a huge Coach and Lorry park with a footbridge to the shopping centre at the other side there are about 8 large car and van parking zones with parking for thousands of vehicles with no barriers this is the ones we use there are usually several coachbuilts on these spots
                  Most height barriers we have seen all vary from 2.0M to 2.2M
                  Alf
                  Hi Alf, I'm sure there are ways around them. The car-park outside the Argos entrance in Meadowhall is an open one for instance, but I usually use the Upper level 'Red' carpark, and that has the 2.1m limits. There must be other ways around because I've seen a tall securicor van up there at least once. I was just saying that there are barriers between 2 and 2.5m

                  Comment


                    #10
                    What annoys me is that Parking signs do not have any indication whether the park is height restricted so if you happily follow the signs you can easily find yourself at a height barrier with a queue of angry traffic impatiently watching your 7-point turn in a restricted space.

                    Our R20 is supposedly 2.3m height. At one stage in the summer I was quite blissfully driving along a suburban road near Maastricht. It was only Liz's shout that alerted me to the fact we'd just, barely, scraped under a 2.5m underpass bridge at about 30mph. One the way back I stopped to look (before finding an alternate route - didn't trust my luck twice) - it was close and could have been a very expensive error.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by derek b View Post
                      I have to admit I have never undestood the concept of height restrictions other than where it would be physically impossible for a vehicle over a certain height to go, the only explanation I have heard for other height barriers is to keep "undesirables" out, can't undesirables arrive by car, or bicycle, or on foot, why is the height of a vehicle the only criteria? oops just fell off my soapbox !!!!!

                      derek b and Babs
                      I think the main purpose of height barriers at places such as beauty spots is to keep our traveller friends out, you know the ones, they all have bigger and newer Transit pickups and huge German caravans than I could ever afford.

                      Peter

                      Comment


                        #12
                        when I had a tall vehicle, I just didn't use car parks with height restrictions and barriers. And never went near a multi storey. Problem solved.

                        On ferries they usually give the max headroom for things depending on whether its a big ferry or little one. I never had any problems with those.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                          when I had a tall vehicle, I just didn't use car parks with height restrictions and barriers. And never went near a multi storey. Problem solved.

                          On ferries they usually give the max headroom for things depending on whether its a big ferry or little one. I never had any problems with those.
                          --------------------
                          Yes, our little R20 was placed with the 'big boys' on the ferry to the IOW. Made us feel quite important!
                          Carpe diem! :)

                          Comment


                            #14
                            We have a nature reserve close to us, as residents we were all given free passes ror access, we really enjoyed our days there walking, birdwatching, watching the seals, then they put up a barrier to keep undesirables out so we can no longer do this, we are not undesirables!!

                            derek b and Babs
                            derek b and Babs

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by derek b View Post
                              We have a nature reserve close to us, as residents we were all given free passes ror access, we really enjoyed our days there walking, birdwatching, watching the seals, then they put up a barrier to keep undesirables out so we can no longer do this, we are not undesirables!!
                              Went down to the Somerset Levels a couple of months ago and hit the same problem. I've found that sometimes the barrier height is incorrect so checked with a tape measure...no such luck so I had to park just outside (I had already emailed the WWT when I saw there might be a problem using Google Street View and they suggested I do this). I did grumble quite loudly as I measured, but nobody noticed
                              Attached Files
                              Neil

                              Comment

                              320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

                              Collapse

                              728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X