As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheelhome Skamper

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheelhome Skamper

Did anyone see the Skamper near the Romahome stand at the Boat and Caravan Show at the NEC? I thought it was a really good concept...maybe an alternative if the Romahome hylo is discontinued!

Hello,
    I didn't get to the show this time, so have just had a google. It does look interesting, the roof is quite a concept. I like the idea of heated beds!
    If anyone wants a look, here's the link: http://www.btinternet.com/~wheelhome/page5.html
    Aileen

Comment

I havn't seen one "in the flesh", but I did read the review in MMM magazine.

The picture of the raised roof brought back memories of a very windy few days at the Trewithett Farm CC site in the cliff tops on Cornwall in our old (Berlingo) HyLo. The wind catching the canvas sides of the raised roof was rocking the van from side to side so much that we had to lower the roof and live with the reduced headroom for two days.

I would hate to be in a Skamper with the roof up in any sort of moderate wind, let alone a full gale, for fear of the van being blown off down the campsite. (spinnaker time is here again ) You would not be able to lower the roof, since the beds are up there in "the attic".

Looks like a "fair weather" job to me

Barry

Comment

Too many moving parts for my liking. The Original Motorhomes International ( cira 1980 ish)made a Fiat Amigo and Caravelle with a roof that went up and out, they actually had 4 beds in the roof! For the first few months of use they were great, then the wear and damp and distortion started to creep in and they became very troublesome. I would stick to something simple.
        Ant

Comment

Our first camper was a Fiat Amigo but our roof only had 2 stretcher bunks and the canvas did not push out very far.

We went all over in it until the dreaded tin worm got too much.

It was a pain though on the motorway in the wind just like the old Vws

Comment

Peter.
            You must have had an early 850T Amigo ( round headlights) I'm talking about the 900E Amigo XL ( square lights)with the "Spacemaker roof"! - My god I never thought I'd got so sad to be talking about an Amigo spacemaker roof 25 years after they went out of production! I think I must have been doing this job too long.
            Ant

Comment

This is why I love this forum. Where else can you discuss such important details. I love it! Although I'm comparatively new to having a motorhome, I have been scrutinising motorhome and camping magazines since I was tiny, so all this is familiar territory!
              Great!
              Aileen.

Comment

Originally posted by barry5 View Post
                I havn't seen one "in the flesh", but I did read the review in MMM magazine.

The picture of the raised roof brought back memories of a very windy few days at the Trewithett Farm CC site in the cliff tops on Cornwall in our old (Berlingo) HyLo. The wind catching the canvas sides of the raised roof was rocking the van from side to side so much that we had to lower the roof and live with the reduced headroom for two days.

I would hate to be in a Skamper with the roof up in any sort of moderate wind, let alone a full gale, for fear of the van being blown off down the campsite. (spinnaker time is here again ) You would not be able to lower the roof, since the beds are up there in "the attic".

Looks like a "fair weather" job to me

Barry

That was my big concern. After having a tent destroyed during the night, now even when in my hylo I generally have the roof down...one of the only benefits I have had of being short

If you had to do this in the Skamper it would be very claustrophobic

Comment

Hi Ant
                  Ours was a 900T with square headlights, T registered but it did not have the massive spacemaker roof. It was a similar shape but the canvas side did not push out as far but there were2 stretcher bunks in the roof. I will try to dig out a photo.

A friend of ours had a Fiat Pandora and that must have really taken off in the wind. They were teachers with 2 children and they used to take it to Italy every summer!!

Comment

Spacemaker

I had a Sherpa 215 with the Spacemaker roof and agree, it was a real windjammer. I remember parking next to a high-top panel van conversion on a very windy bike rally and the wind hit the van, crashing straight into the top and rocking it badly. Fortunately, I had drunk too much to be overly concerned at the time.

My current camper is a Mitsubishi L300 with a very similar top and I park it with the hard plastic top into the wind to avoid being blown over.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I've just taken a peek....

It's a similar size and concept to my Roo but I'm not keen on the elevated sleeping arrangement. I prefer to sleep in the vehicle - not in a 'tent' on its roof! I think this is rather exposed to the elements, potentially very chilly and if it's not fully waterproof then you could get quite wet. I've camped in my Roo in storms and some of the heaviest rain and would want to lower and secure a roof in these conditions and keep the vehicle's centre of gravity low.

I was amused by the quote: "There’s no way you could get beds for two and a kitchen into the body of the little Fiat van" - actually, exactly this has been done in my Roo which has two bunks of about 6'3". I would modify the design slightly if I were re-working the interior, but it can be done.

The Skamper design doesn't grab me but it's good to see more smaller motorhomes being produced. Small is beautiful...

Comment

The Skamper, like the R10, is based of the Nemo/Fiorino minivan-car and it's pretty impressive what can be done with a vehicle which is effectively one class smaller than the Berlingo/Doblo/Kangoo.

Wheelhome now sell the Vikenze as well, which is the same Fiorino base vehicle without the big canvas top - just a conventional folding roof and beds inside. And unlike the R10 they reckon 2 can sleep inside
                        Neil

Comment

I remember the Amigos!

My parents gave up tent camping in their 40s and bought a s/h Amigo, they loved it so much they moved on to a new one, but this was later followed by a Sherpa Autosleeper and then a Renault Trafic Autosleeper as they found the Amigo a little small for comfort.

I can't remember what the beds were like as the only times I went with them, I took my tent.

Comment

Btw having recently had built a custom pop top T4 VW and selling it exactly 2 months later due to exactly the points you raised everyone told us get a pop top ideal go anywhere park anywhere etc etc only problem is with pop up it is basically a large sail on its roof, in Matlock in Aug last yera at Barn farm my van i swear had to be land anchored down so as to be able to use the pop top [kind landrover peeps think of everything good neighbours to have for sure in such conditions] we ended up having to put the roof down for the full remaining 2 days runing our holiday the whole idea and build was so it could be a multivan downstairs and sleeping upstairs it simply is not able to be done, so our whole use was compromised hense it had to go, used once only it had full blue propex super hot heating which didnt keep it even mildly warm with the roof up, and felt like a tent which we had sold to get away frombed was far to small all round and we could store a thick enough matress [only having 4 inches to store it in when roof was down] the whole thing was a disaster my advise take it from someone who knows IS DONT BUY ANY TYPE OF POP TOP ARRANGEMENT EVER at least not for use in the UK

We now own an older Autosleeper Throphy a brilliantly designed and bult machine now 16 yrs old still going in everyway strong and will do for a long time to come beating the pop top [that was a brand new build] hands down in every way and only 14cm longer but full height fibreglass hard top insulating it nice and toasty hot in all conditions cant beat it and wont replace it untill i absolutely have to these small vans are fine for one but anymore and they are claustraphobic uncomfortable and downright dangerous imho .... keep camping

Comment

Originally posted by doobster View Post
                              my advise take it from someone who knows IS DONT BUY ANY TYPE OF POP TOP ARRANGEMENT EVER at least not for use in the UK
                              My Roo is a pop-top and I like it. It's more streamlined than a high-top and therefore offers greater fuel economy and it will fit under height barriers. It can be chilly in cold weather (I wildcamp year-round and have no heating) so I made simple panels from bubble-foil insulation which stow away when not in use while in the summer it provides a good airflow and ventilation.

I would recommend pop-tops for their practicality but I would prefer to sleep low down in the vehicle, not balancing on the roof so I'm not taken by the design of the Skamper. Today I looked at the R10 Solo pop-top and this offered good headroom and allowed an otherwise tiny vehicle to feel relatively spacious - so I wouldn't write off all pop-tops with a sweeping statement!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X