This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does everyone insist on passing you

i do all the driving as Shirley never learnt and notice all cars want to force a way past and cant stand to be behind a campervan I keep to all speedlimits but the 50 no one wants to keep to that and 60 is the norm.We often drive down a 3mile hill called Salley in the Woods near Bath with double white lines in road no passing i thought an countless times all Audi Bmws and big motors cut past close and stay at 60 and gone.The other type hog our back bumper its a lot so i check my speed every time its 50 and its not youngsters either.The other one is roundabouts i signal early but still people try to cut inside to get past in case thy cant later .I get lifts sometimes with our boys and notice a difference so tend to think its because its a van.I had the opposite when i was an electrician a sort of whitevan man with midlands electrical people seemed a bit intimitated and got out the way so i can sense moods on the road The funny thig is a Berlingo is quite a pokey little motor so will never hold any one up on hills or flat.The old VW Caravette we had was a 1960 with 1100cc engine and our 3 boys would be in the back and say hey DAD GUESS HOW MANY CARS WE HAVE BEHIND US ITS 17 THAT WAS OUR WORLD RECORD ON THE PORTSMOUTH ROAD perhaps one of you were behind us it was 1978..........................................Mark the Sparks

Does everyone insist on passing you

I had a Duo Outlook which was on a 99 Berlingo chassis & the limits were the same as a car, but now I've got a Dimension which is on the Relay chassis & the limits for that is:- 50 on normal roads, 60 on dual & 70 on motorways, I do find that's a bind but like you I keep too the limit.
    May be I've miss read you letter.
    Pete

Comment

Never had a motorhome, but I tow my Romini at about the legal limit everywhere. It is never fast enough for most motorists who MUST pass a caravan whatever speed it is doing.
      There are a lot of motorhome and caravan knockers out there who just have to prove you are holding them up! Even if they have to drive faster than normal to do it!
      Jim.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Ach well just remember the story of the tortoise and the hare - let them pass if they are so desperate to do so - you will live longer and happier. Personally I take a twisted enjoyment from letting such vehicles pass ( I am " a little old pensioner") I wave them on smiling but they have no idea of the words I am mouthing while I smile sweetly

Comment

I see so many of these characters-----stretched out on a slab in our mortuary.

Our prof of Anaesthesia regrets the crash helmet law,mondays always brought a nice crop of kidneys,eyeballs.lungs,hearts,---never a shortage and always young and in good nick for transplant.

Still,musnt grumble,we do get a few more middle aged ones for the students to dissect,no good for transplant but anatomy can always use a nice one! Yup,the late middle age speed merchant showing off in his BMW.

Its an ill wind that blows nobody any good.
          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Driving in the Romahome is bad enough, but you want to try a Citroen 2CV6! People absolutely HATE being behind me when I'm in that ... and the risks they taker are astonishing. One of my favourite tricks is revving the engine when waiting for traffic lights to change and there is a young boy-racer along side me. I rev and then inch forward just a little bit, knowing I haven't a cat in hell's chance of beating them when the lights change! I then wave to them as they rush off! Batty old woman, I am!

Comment

I have a friend who used to have a Citroen Dyane with an Ami super engine in it (4cylinder, twice the capacity) and people really hated being behind that but they couldnt catch it.

Peter

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by peteadams67 View Post
                  I had a Duo Outlook which was on a 99 Berlingo chassis & the limits were the same as a car, but now I've got a Dimension which is on the Relay chassis & the limits for that is:- 50 on normal roads, 60 on dual & 70 on motorways, I do find that's a bind but like you I keep too the limit.
                  May be I've miss read you letter.
                  Pete
                  Hi Pete
                  VOSA say the speed limits for motorhomes up to 3050kgs. are the same as for cars-70 on mways and dual carriageways, 60 on single carriageways, unless a lower speed limit applies.

derek b
                  derek b and Babs

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                    I have a friend who used to have a Citroen Dyane with an Ami super engine in it (4cylinder, twice the capacity) and people really hated being behind that but they couldnt catch it.

Peter
                    I have the 2000cc Berlingo,they cant catch that either,hohoho.
                    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

They certainly tried to pass our Ford Ka when we drove up to the Orkneys - poor little thing couldn't cope with the hills / mountain passes as it had had no training before (There are no hills in Warrington - Botlon has the nearest decent ones for sledging).

But now that we have our Romahome...we will see, next time we go up there. Locally, people are too busy gawking to bother overtaking.
                      Carpe diem! :)

Comment

same with caravans. Limits are 60 motorways/duel carriageways, 50 on other roads. I keep to the limits as well, but I've even had other huge caravans overtake me at speed, as well as the usual BMW and Audi drivers.

If I see a huge tailback behind me, I try to find somewhere to pull over and let them pass. I used to do that in my little demountable Rascal as well, that was seriously slow!

Comment

A succession of classic aircooled VW's meant that passing us was essential rather than just bravado.

This Duo is a speedy beast though and we are usually keeping up with the flow.

Amazes me how many times (its always a BMW or a kid in a Saxo) people make crazy overtaking maneuvers on our narrow 1 1/2 car wide rural Norfolk roads with blind bends, high hedges and steep bank, we see them try this stunt time after time.
                          Then at the next junction, we draw up behind them.....
                          Over the 35 miles between here and our nearest city (Norwich) half a dozen will do this, and when we reach the first set of traffic lights on the outskirts of Norwich - there they are 20 feet ahead!
                          Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                            Driving in the Romahome is bad enough, but you want to try a Citroen 2CV6! People absolutely HATE being behind me when I'm in that ... and the risks they taker are astonishing. One of my favourite tricks is revving the engine when waiting for traffic lights to change and there is a young boy-racer along side me. I rev and then inch forward just a little bit, knowing I haven't a cat in hell's chance of beating them when the lights change! I then wave to them as they rush off! Batty old woman, I am!

I'm afraid I am not always so self controlled as you Dolly!
                            Occasionally at traffic lights in the same situation with my Gentry have been guilty of succumbing to temptation Never without a successful conclusion..
                            Although my car looks like a 1953 MG, it is a very different beast with a much larger engine of nearly four times the power and I have been known to leave boy racers in their modern cars with mud on their very
                            red faces.
                            Jim.
                            Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Try a driving school car.

Today - steady 30 going through a village, double white lines - white van had to get past - he was still just in front of me as we entered the next village 'cos we caught up with all the cars doing 50 in the national speed limit between the villages. Lovely long straight road - why didn't he overtake them?

I love annoying the boy racers at the traffic lights - no way will their clapped out 1 litre Corsas move off at the rate my school cars can when I'm driving! But they still try, bless them.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X