X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new motorhome

I won this on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1507237357...84.m1439.l2649

But there is a problem, a few in fact such as poor communication from seller, Xmas delays and it being a left hand drive but on British plates, M reg 1994.

Q1 does anyone know of an insurer and/or is it more expensive to get insurance. The previous owner must have had insurance.

Q2 will I be vilified and condemed to Hell I come to a meet in this.

I have a feeling the whole sale will fall through but at least it won't have cost me a penny.

Happy Christmas to all

Nice looking Motorhome Nigel! LMC are a quality continental build. I would suggest Adrian Flux and Insurancechoice for quotes for your insurance, Insurancechoice is who we covered out Japanese import through.

As for being vilified for attending a SMH meet in it, I doubt it will happen, they still haven't banned us and we have arrived in a coachbuilt hilux, then a bigger coachbuilt pilote and latterly in a 6 berth caravan!!

I hope the sale goes smoothly, you deserve some good luck!
    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

There are enough LHD motorhomes on UK plates and so someone must do reasonably priced insurance. Just the job for your trips to France but where will the canoe go?

Peter

Comment

There are enough LHD motorhomes on UK plates and so someone must do reasonably priced insurance. Just the job for your trips to France but where will the canoe go?

Peter

I will make a side loader that can pull the kayak up onto the roof for carrying but that depends on when I can stand for more than 30 mins and no other complications occur, re insurance etc.

Comment

Don't forget Nigel, its SMH and Friends. You can turn up in a bathtub if you want!
          Looks a nice van, obviously you'll road test it before you part with the readies, it could have a bag of neutrals.

Tony Anchorman

Comment

As long as the body is fine it should be OK. Transit mechanicals are simple, cheap and readily available in the UK

Peter

Comment

Looks nice enough and very cheap.
              Insurance shouldn't be a problem, I use www.2gether.co.uk for two reasons.
              *First and most important, you talk to real people and can even get a name and deal with the same person everytime.
              *Secondly, they understand oddball stuff and I've insured 2 LHD motorhomes with them.

They may even be amongst your cheaper quotes... I would expect a premium between £250 and £400 depending on your circumstances for fully comp with 5000 miles a yea .

If given a choice, I slightly prefer LHD stuff, easier to squeeze in on the nearside on narrow roads, and in a motorhome you rarely overtake on A roads so that isn't a bother.
              Nice to be fighting on the 'right' side when you go abroad and deal with overseas driving styles (Some will make your hair stand on end, particularly Italy)

Your LMC should be well screwed together and give years of service, just remember that you can't drive it inside the M25 area from the end of this month, so plan any cross London journeys to go around.
              (Cheers Boris)

Check whats been done to the accommodation door with that plating though - looks odd, more than would normally be fitted for the security lock it has.

Has the seller come back to you yet? ,may be away for Christmas or may not be happy with the winning bid and gone quiet.
              Last edited by rubberrat; 24-12-2011, 19:56.
              Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

Hi Nigel that looks a great van and a great buy, hope things go smoothly for you.
                I've had a couple of imported vehicles in recent years and found that tesco were pretty good. I was only with them for a month when I had to make a very large claim. Almost a write off , but they paid out no probs.
                Happy Christmas to everyone. Tony

Comment

Originally posted by rubberrat View Post
                  Looks nice enough and very cheap.
                  Insurance shouldn't be a problem, I use www.2gether.co.uk for two reasons.
                  *First and most important, you talk to real people and can even get a name and deal with the same person everytime.
                  *Secondly, they understand oddball stuff and I've insured 2 LHD motorhomes with them.

They may even be amongst your cheaper quotes... I would expect a premium between £250 and £400 depending on your circumstances for fully comp with 5000 miles a yea .

If given a choice, I slightly prefer LHD stuff, easier to squeeze in on the nearside on narrow roads, and in a motorhome you rarely overtake on A roads so that isn't a bother.
                  Nice to be fighting on the 'right' side when you go abroad and deal with overseas driving styles (Some will make your hair stand on end, particularly Italy)

Your LMC should be well screwed together and give years of service, just remember that you can't drive it inside the M25 area from the end of this month, so plan any cross London journeys to go around.
                  (Cheers Boris)

Check whats been done to the accommodation door with that plating though - looks odd, more than would normally be fitted for the security lock it has.

Has the seller come back to you yet? ,may be away for Christmas or may not be happy with the winning bid and gone quiet.
                  Why can't I drive it in London? I have made contact with the seller and he realises Xmas is a difficult time for everything,insurance too.

Tony, I'll try Tesco insurance too.

Comment

Originally posted by riosromahome View Post
                    Why can't I drive it in London? I have made contact with the seller and he realises Xmas is a difficult time for everything,insurance too.

have you heard of the low emmission zone?its roughly every where inside the M25.
                    Look at the Transport for London website,LEZ compliance,if your engine is too old it will cost you £100 per day to go into the LEZ
                    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by anchorman View Post
                      Don't forget Nigel, its SMH and Friends. You can turn up in a bathtub if you want!
                      Couldn't have said it better myself, looks lovely Nigel, look forward to having a guided tour at the next meet.
                      Graham
                      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by riosromahome View Post

Nigel - Put your new registration number into this page link to check ... GIVE BORIS YOUR MONEY - I couldn't quite read it on the ebay ad to do it for you....

But I very much doubt that engine will be Euro 4 compliant. But regardless, it was a bargain.

The real pain is that other city leaders looking to make a quick buck - sorry, make their cities cleaner - will jump onto this bandwagon and bring in the same £100 a day rules in cities elsewhere.

I tipped off a few friends in London to get rid of their older motorhomes way back last march before the January 2012 price crash

- those that could afford nice new ones bought them, those that couldn't sold their diesel motorhomes while the market was buoyant and bought petrol engined units (Which were cheap then, but not now!)

Shame politicians don't use motorhomes - this ruling will not affect them.
                        Last edited by rubberrat; 29-12-2011, 15:08.
                        Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

twin1

Originally posted by rubberrat View Post
                          Nigel - Put your new registration number into this page link to check ... GIVE BORIS YOUR MONEY - I couldn't quite read it on the ebay ad to do it for you....

But I very much doubt that engine will be Euro 4 compliant. But regardless, it was a bargain.

The real pain is that other city leaders looking to make a quick buck - sorry, make their cities cleaner - will jump onto this bandwagon and bring in the same £100 a day rules in cities elsewhere.

I tipped off a few friends in London to get rid of their older motorhomes way back last march before the January 2012 price crash

- those that could afford nice new ones bought them, those that couldn't sold their diesel motorhomes while the market was buoyant and bought petrol engined units (Which were cheap then, but not now!)

Shame politicians don't use motorhomes - this ruling will not affect them.
                          That's a good link, just tried it, nice to know we are OK.thanks.

Comment

I've just checked my J reg. Talbot Express to find that it's not subject to LEZ either. Thought it might be given its' age.
                            yipee :so happy:

Di.

Comment

I collected the motorhome from just north of Newcastle, Morpeth. Drove in agony 431 miles in 8.50 hrs back home. No problems but fairly wide and not easy to pull out onto main roads with traffic coming from the right as it's LHD. I have to guess if a vehcle is coming along before pulling out. I sometimes find myself driving over the motorway lane lines into the next but many very kind drivers beep their horns to help me back into lane again.

I saw this older version of my one with more miles at over double the price.
                              http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1991-H-LMC...item336e2c39de

I typed the reg details into the LEZ website and I am very pleased that it will not be compliant. This means I can catch a National Express Coach to Londonto visit Sylvia and not worry about parking, theft etc. My Romahome 1989 is compliant but I am selling it with many new parts cheap so I can make space, so the LEZ compliant thing may help if a Londoner buys it.

Anyone know of a stronger pain killer than Tramadol and how much do you want for them?

Happy new rears to the ladies and Happy new year to the fellas.

Amen

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X