As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best time to buy and sell motorhomes

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best time to buy and sell motorhomes

I am buying up a few motorhomes at fairly low prices. My intention is to sell at the right time to make a profit. When would the best time be to sell Spring, early Summer?

I can't do my normal work as I can't stand for my than 30 minutes so this is another way to earn some money.

I think spring/summer would be the main buying season.

Before you proceed, I would advise you check your local council will be happy with you doing this if you're planning to do it from home. If any of your business is visible then you might need planning permission and have to pay business rates. Some councils can be quite strict. Also, check your property insurance allows this - many won't allow or provide insurance cover for visitors to your property if related to a business.

Good luck with your venture.

Comment

listen carefully to Karens wise words my friend,a couple in my street decided to run a second hand car sales from their house.The Council prosecuted,the Building Society foreclosed the loan.

Be careful,get advice.

Late thought, Old left hand drive motor homes might look good, but the low price is often because they are tricky to sell.Insurance companies dont love them,even if they are German.
      Last edited by Ian.C.S; 02-02-2012, 08:34.
      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I wasn't going to keep all of them here as there isn't enough space.I believe as long as they are taxed, MOT'd and insured then I can park them away from here on the road and the council have no say.

Comment

I don't want to put dampeners on your idea Nigel, but I have to say that I would never consider buying a van and doing a deal on the street. My options would be either a private seller and I would only visit the house and check that the vehicle was registered to that address, or buy from an established and reputable dealer.

If you're planning to do any of this from home then there could be planning consent issues, business rates and invalidated insurance cover on your property so please check everything out very carefully first, including any restrictive covenants. I have a very small and almost invisible and innocuous home-based web-design business so I've been through a lot of this myself and have to say that, regardless of how low-profile any venture is, it will almost certainly be found and you'll get a knock on the door. In these days of council cutbacks, officers are doing their utmost to prove their worth and protect their jobs!

Comment

Nigel
            I can assure you that some Councils do collect the telephone numbers on cars that are for sale in laybys and if one number comes up several times they will be investigating to find out if you are a trader. Not only is it illegal to trade in vehicles on the road but it will also trigger all the things that Karen mentioned. And the most likely people to phone the Council are the householders in the area. And insurance companies soon pick up on multiple vehicles and start looking for traders insurance, which they won't issue unless you have registered business premises.
            Sorry to put a downer on your enterprise but best be aware of the possible pitfalls so you can steer round them.
            Colin

Comment

Nigel,you are being very gently told by people with your best interests at heart that this is not a good idea.

Be very careful old chum,it can go wrong fast.
              Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

There can be ways around some of the issues and I applaud Nigel for wanting to start a new business venture.

However, I can foresee nothing but problems down the line with this idea unless it's formally established as a trading enterprise in suitable premises. Buying and selling vans is going to require a large capital outlay to invest in stock plus a good cashflow to keep things ticking over between sales, including paying rent on premises, business rates etc. Turnover/margins would need to be sufficiently high to cover these outgoings and you'd probably also need to be VAT registered due to the value of your likely turnover. Meanwhile, stock would have to be sought which could mean using public transport to travel the country to collect the vehicles (are you fit enough for this yet?).

I think you're based in Devon? What are rents like? How much competition is there locally? What would be your competitive advantage over the established dealers? Why would people want to come to you - what can you offer that the competition doesn't? I really think you need to do a lot of market research re this if you're serious about becoming a trading dealer.

However, I think your early thought was probably to do something very small-scale, largely unseen and from home but unfortunately I think you'll end up too embroiled in red tape for this to become feasible.

Have you any other ideas? Something part-time, from home, low capital outlay and which you can fit around any further surgery/treatment you might need? Keep thinking!!

Comment

Originally posted by riosromahome View Post
                  I am buying up a few motorhomes at fairly low prices. My intention is to sell at the right time to make a profit. When would the best time be to sell Spring, early Summer?

I can't do my normal work as I can't stand for my than 30 minutes so this is another way to earn some money.
                  I should have added this will be a temp thing till I can work again and is not going to be that of a trader. I cannot see there is anything wrong in just parking a few of them on the roadside and without phone numbers displayed so that I can then sell them off again in the spring. I am not selling from the roadside as they will be on my property at the time of sale/viewing and when on the road they will be taxed, MOT'd and insured.

However, I think there must be many other people that buy and sell things at the right time and not just motorhomes. I live on the coast and nearby there is an area away from houses that others park their larger vehicles and motorhomes. My only worry is the criminals that may try and break in.

Comment

Nigel
                    I think you should write a book about your life, I'm sure you would find a publisher and, even with only a couple of chapters they might offer you an advance. So you could do it while you are laid up and make money without other problems. Play your cards right and the Inland Revenue may even let you have any money tax free because of your 'research' outgoings.
                    Colin

Comment

Originally posted by riosromahome View Post
                      I should have added this will be a temp thing till I can work again and is not going to be that of a trader. I cannot see there is anything wrong in just parking a few of them on the roadside and without phone numbers displayed so that I can then sell them off again in the spring. I am not selling from the roadside as they will be on my property at the time of sale/viewing and when on the road they will be taxed, MOT'd and insured.

However, I think there must be many other people that buy and sell things at the right time and not just motorhomes. I live on the coast and nearby there is an area away from houses that others park their larger vehicles and motorhomes. My only worry is the criminals that may try and break in.
                      I would be very careful. Even if it's just a few vehicles, the issues I referred to can still apply and visitors to your home won't be insured if they're visiting as 'clients'.

I think Colin's idea of a book is a good one and there would be no red-tape implications with this. You enjoy writing, are good at it and have lots to write about. Can I order my advance copy now, please?!

Comment

I once wrote a 40,000 word diary but it would upset the Puritans if they started to read it.

Comment

See - you've already made a start in recognition of where your talents lie!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X