As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could this be true

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could this be true

I saw this in my search for a few more motorhomes.

http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/m...2464215/advert

phone number doesn't work and no reply tomy email

In a word, no!

Either it needs a 2 or 3 in front of the £8000 or it is a scam and I'm pretty certain you know which is most likely!
    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

There seems to be quite a lot of these ads up and down various "selling" websites.Being in search mode at the mo for a new van I have lost count of the scammy ones I have seen lately.I just use the theory if its too good to be true it usually isnt.I did respond to one and got no reply whatsoever! not sure what the motive in the ads are!
      I did hear of someone complaining to e bay as a seller had a van for sale which wasnt theirs,the person complaining had recently bought it and was shocked to see basically the same ad featuring their van via a scammy seller........buyers beware at the mo I think!!

Dabs

Comment

The scam works on various levels.
        First - the simple level is the sale of 'likely gullible' email addresses to spammers. When you reply, your email address is 'pinged' and goes into the 'for sale' pile to be sold on, so expect a good few scam emails in the net few months. Not the end of the world, but a nuisance.

The second level is more serious. Your email, if replied to, will begin a dialogue. At some point the seller after much friendly chat will declare that he works overseas/on an oil rig etc and will get the vehicle delivered to you.
        You pay by a 'safe' ebay payment link and a full refund is offered if you don't like it.
        Of course the ebay paysite is masked to a Western Union site and your money, be it deposit or full payment turns up in Nigeria.

Also watch out for a new scam using Buy it Now Ebay ads, these are really clever and need a sharp eye....

When you click on a link for a motorhome taking bids, (it may be up to a couple of hundred at this point), the site diverts to a non-ebay site - if you watch carefully (and quickly - it changes in about five seconds) the ebay number changes.
        This is a now a non Ebay site and is designed to begin the dialogue above. (Often a ludicrously low B-I-N price will be in the description along with an email address for you to contact the 'seller')

Either way, they know one in 1000 people are gullible enough to fall for these scams, .....and 1 in 1000 is enough for them
        Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

I had a reply to my email.

Robert Riley [email protected]
          9:24 AM (4 hours ago)

to me

Hello there,

I am glad to hear that you are interested to buy my 2009 Fiat DUCATO 40 MAXI 160 M-JET LUNAR ROADSTAR 800 luxury motorhome. Although I am registered in the UK,i recently moved to Portimao, Portugal (where my family is from) and the camper is being shipped from here. I want to sell it in UK due to the fact that it's an UK version (right handed),it meets all UK standards.I bought this caamper from UK and It still has UK registration, so you won't have to pay any import and insurance fees.The vehicle meets all United Kingdom guidelines so there will be no problem regarding UK Customs policy on receiving the camper.The vehicle is in perfect condition, the bodywork is immaculate,no scratches, dents or hidden defects as well as the interior in excellent non-smoking condition , never been implied in any accident and it is as advertised. The camper comes with log book, HPI cleared, No finance. You will get from me the keys and all documents to register the camper in you name.If the motorhome is not how i described it, i will offer a full refund. It will be insured during transportation and for all Inspection Period that you will have ( 15 days ), will be delivered at your address in maximum 10 days. Final price is GBP 8,000 (the price includes shipping and insurance fees).The price is low because the camper is right hand drive in a country where all cars are left hand drive so in the Portugal is very difficult to drive this type of vehicle and nobody wants to buy it here in Portugal.Instead of keeping it in garage (during this economical crisis), I decided to sell it to someone back in the UK for a really attractive price.This vehicle is completely immaculate,looks like it has never been used.Only 9000 miles has been covered in this very powerful yet economical vehicle. spec is massive and all the fittings are of the very highest satndard. Awning,blown air heating,cooker,double glazing,fridge freezer,grill,mains hook up,microwave, toilet,bike rack,rooflights,cab blinds,flyscreens,digital tv,alloy wheels,seperate shower.water heater,reversing camera,electric step,captains chairs,gas or mains heating,corner steadies,lots of floorspace, rear fixed island bed with ensuite shower and seperate toilet. Balance of manufaturers extended warranty.
          These roadstars are the best quality and this is top of the range.

I want to take this opportunity to assure you that this deal is 100% legitimate,the deal will be manage by a very well company,in this way both buyer and seller are 100% covered during the steps of this transaction.
          Let me know if you need any further details or if you would like to buy my car.

Thank you!

What do you think?

Comment

It still looks too good to be true to me. The ad also seems to have disappeared having just followed your link.
            Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

My teenage brain has now been updated with all your good advice. I am now £8000 min still in pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
                ...The ad also seems to have disappeared having just followed your link
                Nope ... it's still there. Now for only £6k, with the different contact number (still the same email) see here It stinks of scam for miles. Chris

Comment

I don't believe a word of it.

So, I checked it out: http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?p=1133366

Comment

A member of our Customer Security Team will investigate the advert you have reported and will take appropriate action within the next 3 days.
                    Please note that we will only reply to your e mail if we need further information.

:so happy:

Comment

Don't doubt for a second that it is a scam. Also, be aware of a number of ebay ads that begin

@email @XXX.XX for quicker reply! on classifieds. These are part of the same scam.

As much fun as it can be to play with these scammers by asking daft questions, don't bother.
                      Even if yo are wise to them and are having a bit of fun, they get around 50c per 'referral' - i.e they sell your email address for a few cents/pence each to bigger and more powerful scammers. You don't want to be hit by all this rubbish do you?
                      Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

O have no doubt that as soon as one of these adds is removed, another one will re-appear, but at lest (to their credit) Autotrader have removed it less than 24 hrs after complaint.

Chris

Comment

Could this be true

Originally posted by bambuko View Post
                          O have no doubt that as soon as one of these adds is removed, another one will re-appear, but at lest (to their credit) Autotrader have removed it less than 24 hrs after complaint.

Chris
                          I know this reply is not applicable too a camper but it's still on the same lines I had a couple of E-mails from BT Yahoo saying that my account would be shut down because my PC was infected & causing problems I sent the E-mails of too them, then the other day I had one from Netgear saying that the warranty & support for my router was near expiring being that I haven't used the router for a number of years that had to be a scam it makes you wonder how the get your AD & what the next one will be.
                          Pete

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X