No announcement yet.

ULEZ Compliance and changing the van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the Ford Nugget, Sandra! I found a hire site online (no, not thinking of hiring one at that price, let alone buying one!) which gives you all the specs. Very interesting!

https://roadsurfer.com/en-gb/ford-nu...-up-roof-hire/

Comment

I liked it too jayjay . I just didnt like, nor could possibly afford, the £60.000 plus price tag

Comment

Originally posted by SandraM View Post
        I liked it too jayjay . I just didnt like, nor could possibly afford, the £60.000 plus price tag
        I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a camper either, even if I did have the funds! I would rather buy a second hand static van on a site (or get a large caravan and site it, as Rob B has done) and just go to the same place for holidays. it might get a bit boring, but it's an option you may not have considered. (That's my plan for the future anyway, when I can no longer camp in a campervan).

Comment

SandraM … how about living on a narrowboat ? … xxx

Comment

John can't swim and being that close to water would totally un nerve him

Comment

Well you have a diverse set of options thrown at you! Do let us know what you finally decided to do. Whilst moving home would cure it, the estate agent & solicitor fees would far outway any ulez you'd end up paying. Glad I'm not in your boat just yet, as is John!

Comment

Originally posted by Martinez View Post
                I suppose it’s a sign of things to come for a lot of us. And I suspect that when just about every city has adopted the policy that the rest of the country won’t be far behind. As I live close to city centre I would certainly fall into a zone should they introduce one.
                Sorry to hear of your plight Sandra, it seems wrong that those living within an imposed zone should be penalised. I thought the whole idea was to reduce air pollution by charging those outside to come in, not those that live there to get out !
                The problem for me is exactly this - that many cities and towns have, or will be, introducing a CAZ/LEZ in the foreseeable future. I live in Sheffield and regularly visit family in Edinburgh. Both have plans for CAZ/LEZ. Edinburgh's is concentrated on the historic city centre and would be fairly easy to avoid. (Indeed, I'd say, with Edinburgh buses being so good, if you choose to drive in that part of the city, you deserve all you get!). However, Sheffield's covers all of the city centre inside the inner ring road. If you enter the city by the main road from the motorway, you can't avoid it unless you know the city well. I'm sure that most towns of any size will be doing the same.

At the moment, because of health issues, I’m not in a position to buy a camper. However, because of precisely this issue, I decided that, as and when I buy a camper, it'll be relatively new and petrol-fuelled. Of course, the price of fuel being what it is, I might yet have to settle on a return to a cheap car and the tent. Things can always be worse…

Comment

Originally posted by fenman View Post
                  Rob B What really annoys me about the diesel fiasco is 99% of new motorhomes are being built with diesel engines, so built in obsolesence in less than ten years probably. Lets not forget it was the politicians who told us to buy diesels and now it is the politicians who are telling us how wrong we are now.
                  Wasn't this advice based on "misinformation" about emissions from the vehicle manufacurers though?

Comment

Originally posted by Shuggie McGlumpher View Post

Wasn't this advice based on "misinformation" about emissions from the vehicle manufacurers though?
                    Not really, it's just that opinions, both scientific and political have changed. The modern diesel has always been quite clean in terms of C02 emissions but "dirty" in terms of particulate and nitrous emissions. All that's changed is that until recently no one cares about Nitrous emissions or particulates but a shift away from simply "being green" to focussing on clean air has made them important. All of which would be fine if there was a generous diesel scrappage/swappage scheme or the pace of change was slower but as it is people have been caught out.

Personally I would not now buy another diesel, even a euro6 compliant one as the cost of diesel fuel is going to get ever higher and harder to find and I suspect we are very close to diesels being banned from city regions altogether.
                    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

OOH it's my turn from next year. Although I have to say it's a pleasure to avoid Stoke-on-Trent! but unfair for anyone living there, in the same situation as you are. They are bringing it in just for delivery vehicles and commercial vehicles to start with... so if the delivery vehicles can't get in to deliver things, the people who live there will have to get into their cars and drive out to get products they need ? ? Wont business have to shut down? It all seems a bit short sighted to me.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news...int_source=nba

It will probably be Crewe next.

Comment

Avoiding Stoke on Trent is easy. Just stay on the M6

Comment

People will just avoid cities & go to out of town outlets with free parking. Seems councils have a death wish for their towns. What they gain in emission charges they'll loose in buissines rates.
                          In a lot of ways nowadays, the world's gone mad.

Comment

12F6D576-7839-4F53-B5DC-C43341A34204.jpg my freedom had 2 single or queen bed. a loo shower hot water blown air heating ... but we need the advantage of a home on wheels ..
                            BuzznDave

Comment

Hi Sandra

Awdul situation to be faced with, but I can see the loophole regarding classic vehicles previously mentioned might be a solution.

This VW T3 just qualifies for the exemption and the “newer” T3’s were better rustproofed than the T2’s

https://www.timberlandmotorhomes.com...gen/elddis/908

John

Comment

Are there no Hybrid vans being converted ? If not there’s a definite gap in the market that needs filling !
                                quick search n found this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325102456...AAAOSwsKViagr4
                                Last edited by Martinez; Yesterday, 12:10.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X