As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monster camper!!

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monster camper!!

This monster came trundling on the campsite whilst we were away, I think it was an old troop carrier, the door was about 4 feet off the ground, goodness knows how they got in an out.

I thought about asking them if they wanted to join the SMALL motorhome forum, just to see their faces.
    Attached Files
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

My son is looking at things like that, Graham... I've told him to check the insurance and the MPG!

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
      This monster came trundling on the campsite whilst we were away, I think it was an old troop carrier, the door was about 4 feet off the ground, goodness knows how they got in an out.

I thought about asking them if they wanted to join the SMALL motorhome forum, just to see their faces.
      We saw a convoy of similiar vehicles on the edge of the Sahara! they can go almost anywhere!
      derek b and Babs

Comment

Looks similar to one that was parked up not too far from me at Blackmore C&CC last year.
        Attached Files
        Neil

Comment

These vehicles are refered to as Unimog Campers or expedition campers.
          derek b and Babs

Comment

Actually I deffo think that they should join the SMF as they fulfill the 'quirky criteria'..... Besides which I want to have a good nose round one.

Comment

The excellent, Expedition Portal forum, here, has many such vehicles, right down to small, 2 berth campers.

They cover trips on foot, cycle, motorcycle, car, etc, from virtually unmodified vehicles through to custom built vehicles for the whole family to tour the world, a surprising amount of which are designed and built (on a budget) by the family members themselves!

Comment

Originally posted by derek b View Post
                These vehicles are refered to as Unimog Campers or expedition campers.
                The one pictured is not a Unimog but I can see your thinking.

I fancy something like this myself but it would have to be on a much older base vehicle, something like a 50's or 60's Scammel or an ex-army Bedford. My wife is a steam enthusiast and would like a full size traction engine if our lotto numbers ever come up. A big classic lorry with a camper conversion towing a steam traction engine would make for a great looking outfit.
                Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

We saw a convoy of traction engines on the edge of the Sahara-no hold on i'm getting confused!!
                  derek b and Babs

Comment

We saw a converted livestock lorry whilst in Geneva. It was truly amazing. All was quiet on the site, everyone was settling down for the evening to watch the sunset over the lake, then all of a sudden this rumbling started in the distance...it got louder and louder until it was a fully fledged diesel lorry racket. People started coming out of their tents to see if it was Armageddon. Then round the corner, bull dozing its way across the site came this HUUUUGE truck. People in little two men tents started to panic as it headed their way. Eventually it parked up, blocking the view of the lake for most people and I kid you not, 20 plus grey haired campers came out. Followed by the longest tressel table you've ever seen. They were like an army. Within ten minutes they had a full outdoor catering kitchen set up and an awning that was made of proper heavy steel scaffolding! The racket they made was unbelievable but nothing compared to the noise they made when striking camp at 6.00 in the morning. We were woken to the ringing tones of scaffolding poles being thrown on top of each other back into the lorry. We were quaking in our bed as they started the engine and headed back towards us! It was fascinating though. It looked like they all had individual bedrooms on the top floor with their heads in the lorry and their feet in the awning.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryony The Snail View Post
                      We saw a converted livestock lorry whilst in Geneva. It was truly amazing. All was quiet on the site, everyone was settling down for the evening to watch the sunset over the lake, then all of a sudden this rumbling started in the distance...it got louder and louder until it was a fully fledged diesel lorry racket. People started coming out of their tents to see if it was Armageddon. Then round the corner, bull dozing its way across the site came this HUUUUGE truck. People in little two men tents started to panic as it headed their way. Eventually it parked up, blocking the view of the lake for most people and I kid you not, 20 plus grey haired campers came out. Followed by the longest tressel table you've ever seen. They were like an army. Within ten minutes they had a full outdoor catering kitchen set up and an awning that was made of proper heavy steel scaffolding! The racket they made was unbelievable but nothing compared to the noise they made when striking camp at 6.00 in the morning. We were woken to the ringing tones of scaffolding poles being thrown on top of each other back into the lorry. We were quaking in our bed as they started the engine and headed back towards us! It was fascinating though. It looked like they all had individual bedrooms on the top floor with their heads in the lorry and their feet in the awning.
                      When I say 'Grey Haired' I mean no disrespect BTW! I just wanted to set the scene and I'm going grey myself. In fact in this case when I say they were grey I actually mean they were white and had been for a long time!! There were a number of new hips jumping out of that truck for sure. Respect!!!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X