mezan springy helpers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mezan springy helpers

we are now in portugal, 40ks south of castelo branco, and mostly wild camping, i think ill start a thread on this site under another subject for that but my point is this, even though i have, we have upgraded the rear helper springs, and travel very light, we still feel it would improve things if the vehicle could be raised another 5cm. does anybody have details of where in europe or england, not that england is not part of europe, just that a big sea is between,we can find a spring supplier. autosqeaker charge two years mortgage interest for them and they are not really strong enough. incidentally, putting springs in place/removing is dead easy.
    to remove; remove wheel then put that axle onto wooden block, lower jack so spring compressed but leave jack in place. use those plastic ties for cables from diy shops, about four should do, fully pull them to tighten. jack up vehicle, spring falls out, eventually.
    to fit .compress new spring by same method but use your body weight whilst someone else pulls the ties tight. compress just enough to put into place, let jack down, but keep in place, cut ties pull them out and viola

Shirleyanne,

Have you explored the possibility of using air bags on the Mezan,(Peugeot) we are looking seriously at it on our Romy(Citroen). I believe it may become an option on the R25 according to a guy from the factory.

try
    http://www.as-airsuspension.co.uk/index.htm

or

http://airride.co.uk/

Tony Anchorman
    Last edited by anchorman; 26-06-2010, 22:51.

Comment

air suspension

unfortunately the peugeot partner is not suitable for air suspension, something to do with torsion bar and room i suppose. i cannot believe no other person knows of a spring supplier here. incidentally, we are now in the cafe at the entrance to castelo branco on their wi fi in 35celcius, and england are losing badly on the big screen. oh and were outside the tax office ssshhhhh.

Comment

Air suspension can be fitted to Berlingos and Partners. THe berlingo Quartets had it fitted.

Contact www.comptek.co.uk. They import MAD spring assisters. I had a conversation with someone there last year. It can be done, he has done it, it is not easy and it is expensive.

I am still considering it for our Romahome. Goodness knows what the latest R20s are like built on the 600KG chassis.

Writing this sat on a sunny campsite in St Briac near St Malo in Brittany

Comment

springy

thank you i will contact them,well i did and they do not do air helpers for the partner mezan. i already have their helper springs fitted(second set) and to be honest they are not up to the job, and yes we do travel lightly. what i am really looking for is a beefier set of helper springs. i have had the torsion bar adjusted up two notches by peugeot themselves, they said no more than two as it could cause problems, but there you go. there are plenty of wi fi free spots here in france incidentally so no dongle required, just a small piece of software to search hotspots is needed, in not too sunny montrejeau looking at the pyrenees whilst writing and our standard poodle kipping off his long morning mountain walk
          Last edited by shirleyanne; 14-07-2010, 14:31.

Comment

I made some spring assistors this morning in my workshop for my C15 Romahome. I bet the same could be done to yours and for a fraction of the price.
            I am a former commercial mechanic/welder now I'm just a self-employed welder fabricator so copying things or designing and making things isn't too difficult. I may make a few more spring assisters and sell them here.

Comment

Originally posted by ecobezhig View Post
              I made some spring assistors this morning in my workshop for my C15 Romahome. I bet the same could be done to yours and for a fraction of the price.
              I am a former commercial mechanic/welder now I'm just a self-employed welder fabricator so copying things or designing and making things isn't too difficult. I may make a few more spring assisters and sell them here.
              While you're at it, could you design me a small motormover for my diddy caravan that doesn't cost a fortune? Something that will push it backwards for me while I 'steer' it would do, you wouldn't really need a remote, just something motorised to do the pushing - oh and an on/off switch. Ta.

Comment

My neighbour over the road has one, I'll have a look at 3am.

Comment

I'm keeping an eye on this one at the mo....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MEBIDX:IT

..although it will probably go far beyond what I can afford to bid. Basically they are a roller attached to a wheel, powered by the leisure battery, the roller then moves the wheel round. Simple, but tres expensive!

Comment

Who did you speak to at Comptek?

They told me that they were available under special order from Holland.

By the way our romahome is fine with the heavy duty MAD coil springs and we do not travel light.

Last night in France tonight

Comment

Spring assisters - increased ground clearance?

I got my van stuck last night when viewing a property with a sloping driveway. The rear bumper was scraped slightly on heading up the drive but when reversing down (no space to turn at the top), due to the 'see-saw' effect of the van and rear overhang, the bumper hit the road while descending and the van was thoroughly wedged at the foot of the driveway. It needed a further ground clearance of at least 12cm to do it comfortably and eventually had to be helped down on blocks of wood.

I know this is an old thread but I wondered - has anyone fitted spring assistors to a Berlingo-based RH?

Roughly what was the cost?

Has it helped with negotiating gradients from a flat road?(!!)

2014-07-30-02-19-071_zps412b1803.jpg

Just to add to the fun and extend the 2-hour viewing by a further 4+ hours - while attempting a 29-point turn back at the top of the driveway before concluding there was insufficient space, the ball-joint connecting the gear level became disconnected resulting in my first breakdown call-out. (Full marks at this point to Safeguard who had a mechanic over from Newport in 90 minutes.) It was a struggle to fix and, as a 'temporary' repair, needs to be garage-checked today. As far as I could see, the ball-joint hadn't become mis-shapen and there was no obvious cause for this to happen.

We have since chosen not to proceed with the property purchase.....

Comment

Hi Karen

Grayston are your ges bet

www.springassisters.co.uk

They will help when carrying a load but they will not raise the height of your van in its normal state, even though grayston claim they will.

We have them on our Outlook (MAD fitted as standard by Romahome on ours when new, but they were standard ones and I have upgraded to heavy duty)

When we had our C15 Hytop I fitted Grayston ones to it.

It is a straightforward home fit.

Check that yours hasn't already got them fitted.

Good luck

Peter

Comment

Thanks, Peter.

I wasn't sure whether they would raise the height of the rear and have read contradicting opinions on this. I returned today to look at the driveway I got stuck on along with the scrapes left on the road and it seems there's no way my van will gain access unless the ground clearance can be substantially increased. If the RH were a longer wheelbase model with the rear wheels set further back then this would be fine but the overhang acts as a see-saw and won't manage the incline where it meets the flat road. It would need to bend into a U shape in the centre!

We've had to give up on the property which is disappointing. Although it was far from a 'dream home', it offered the potential of income which was one of its main attractions.

Comment

We've had to give up on the property which is disappointing. Although it was far from a 'dream home', it offered the potential of income which was one of its main attractions.
                            Aww Karen, I'm disappointed for you.

Could you fix the drive (ramps perhaps, or concrete fill in?) Or make a turn around point at the top of the drive?

I saw several cars getting their bumpers scraped on a ferry recently. They were coming off and the tide wasn't quite right, so there was the same sort of incline that you show in your photo. The low slung ones were scraping, eek! It was ok going onto the ferry, which is what we were doing, and coming back there was a better angle, so it didn't happen to me.

Comment

JayJay

Unfortunately not. This is the driveway entrance where it meets the road and you can see the problem:

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps93355afa.jpg

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps23fa7ab2.jpg

If I nose up at an angle (straight up is impossible!) then there's a see-saw effect with the van and the rear drags on the driveway.

If I nose-down to leave the driveway then when the front wheels meet the road, the rear overhang falls back to hit the drive and becomes stuck (the van needs to bend into a 'U' shape!).

If I reverse down then the rear overhang hits the road while the van remains on the drive and is wedged into place, hence it had to be helped down on wooden blocks, taking 3 people.

There's no easy practical solution to this. It doesn't affect just my van but there will also be the same issue with our long trailer, a boat trailer and potentially the wheelchair-adapted Doblo hence it's now a non-starter.

We have an alternative property in mind which is much more attractive (but doesn't have the income potential of the first) but even this has a ramp at the entrance to direct rainwater down the road. In this case it should be possible to adapt the ramp in some way or smooth it over and, in the short-term, build a wooden ramp. I'll be testing it at the weekend, providing nobody offers on it first.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X