• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flori Bunda
    Newbie Poster
    • Nov 2010

Breathalysers

Just read a warning regarding France. Will try and paste here:

The French government is set to make €20m out of over 50s driving abroad this year, as some drivers will still fail to take steps in line with European driving regulations.
    Research by insurers Saga revealed that 2.3m over 50s are planning to drive their car abroad this year. Whilst most will by now be aware of the need to take warning triangles and reflective jackets with them to drive on the continent, some 1.8m may still fall foul of the latest French driving regulations.
    Only 8% of over 50s planning on driving in France this year plan to take a breathalyser with them, which means the vast majority could find themselves in trouble with the French authorities.
    Roger Ramsden, chief executive at Saga Services, said: "There needs to be a huge drive to make people aware of this new law, whilst 98% of us now know that we ought to pack a warning triangle when we drive in France, only 8% plan to take a breathalyser. For many British motorists the French welcome this summer may be less ooh la la and more oh my god as they present you with an €11 fine."
    From the 1st of July, drivers in France will be required to have an unused breathalyser that conforms to French standards, with them in the car. Breathalyser kits cost around £2 each, but the fine for not having one will set people back €11, this could leave the over 50s facing up to €20m in French fines this year.
    The French requirement is to carry one breathalyser at all times, however Saga is advising people to take two, in case of emergency situations.
    Saga also advises that all motorists planning to drive on the continent should check the rules of the road for each country they plan to drive through. A warning triangle, reflective jacket and a first aid kit are required in most EU countries, but rules on speed limits, safe alcohol limits and many other driving laws vary from country to country.
    These new measures are being taken out by the French authorities in a bid to cut down on drink driving, however research by the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM), show that 82% of people set to head to the continent think that the new regulations will have no effect on reducing drink driving.
    Only 13% said that the new regulations will reduce people driving over the limit, and 70% said that drivers will only carry them to comply with the law, and will not change their behaviour.
    Despite a general scepticism about the impact these new regulations will have, according to the IAM, compliance is set to be high. IAM advises that the easiest way to tell if the breathalyser complies with the French legislation is to make sure it has the blue circular NF logo, the French equivalent of the BSI kite mark in the UK.
  • Renners
    Silver Poster
    • Apr 2012

The fine has been dropped, it is still a requirement to carry the breathalisers though.

Comment

• peterholden
      Diamond Poster
      • Dec 2006

As I understand it, although the breathaliser law still stands the fine for not carrying them is €0.

Another example of french people power winning against stupid laws.

Peter

Comment

• twojays
        Bronze Poster
        • Aug 2011

breathyliser requirment scrapped

this motoring requirement has been dropped for the foreseeable future..this info is taken from the French press today..
        Last edited by twojays; 22-11-2013, 19:18.

Comment

• Artoo0
          Diamond Poster
          • May 2011

Originally posted by Renners View Post
          The fine has been dropped, it is still a requirement to carry the breathalisers though.
          Sounds like SAGA are trying to create an image of nasty, foreign policemen bullying lots of inoffensive confused British grannies.

Why the emphasis on "over 50s"? The law applies to everyone surely. Although it appears 92% of the people surveyed think it shouldn't apply to them.

I'm considerably over 50, but I've not yet lost my marbles to the extent of neglecting to check the laws of countries I intend to drive in. If someone chooses to ignore them, OK that's their choice, but they've no cause to complain about suffering the consequences.

In this particular case, what happens if you don't comply if there's no fine? Straight to the guillotine perhaps?

Where's my knitting needles?
          Geoff

Comment

• Renners
            Silver Poster
            • Apr 2012

Not sure why it emphasised the over 50's either, i do know that in all the years i have travelled in France either with caravan, motorhome of motorbike i have never once been stopped. I do think sometimes the french police get a raw deal, not to say they dont stop people but as with all police i have spoken to if respect is shown i have never had a problem with them or vice versa.On my rcent trip to the Black forest we did take the breathalisers for when we drove into france but did not require them.
            Last edited by Renners; 22-11-2013, 19:33. Reason: spelling

Comment

• JimD
              Silver Poster
              • Sep 2011

I'm not planning on going abroad anytime soon, but I recall reading somewhere that not only do you have to have a hi-vis jacket, you also have to be able to get to it witout leaving the driving seat!
              Can anyone confirm or deny that? and are there any gotcha's to do with the first-aid kit or triangle?

Comment

• VonUK
                Diamond Poster
                • Jul 2010

Originally posted by JimD View Post
                I'm not planning on going abroad anytime soon, but I recall reading somewhere that not only do you have to have a hi-vis jacket, you also have to be able to get to it witout leaving the driving seat!
                Can anyone confirm or deny that? and are there any gotcha's to do with the first-aid kit or triangle?
                My understanding is that you have to be able to get to the jacket, triangle etc from within the car/van, you can't carry it in the boot or somewhere in the car/van which requires access from outside the vehicle. I put ours behind the passenger seat in the R25, not sure yet where it will go in the Jazz. I also took 2 doggy high viz coats for our pooches, not obligatory, but a black dog in the dark doesn't show up too well

This AA link is helpful:
                From staying safe on the road to fuel advice and driving abroad, here's everything drivers need to know.
                Last edited by VonUK; 22-11-2013, 21:38. Reason: Added link

Comment

• derek b
                  Diamond Poster
                  • Nov 2011

In The Algarve we saw drivers being ticketed at a police check because their hi vizs were in the boot, many drivers carry tem folded up very small in the corner of the dashboard so the authorities can see them!
                  derek b and Babs

Comment

• GeeCee
                    Diamond Poster
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by derek b View Post
                    In The Algarve we saw drivers being ticketed at a police check because their hi vizs were in the boot, many drivers carry tem folded up very small in the corner of the dashboard so the authorities can see them!
                    As I understand it the "law" requiring breathalisers has not been ratified by the French government and therefore the police can stop you and ask to see your breathalisers but if you refuse they can do nothing about it because you are NOT breaking the law. I am certain that the French law requires your 2 hi viz jackets to be accessible inside the car; you must not step outside the car without wearing one. That is why most French drivers have them hanging on their seat. I always keep mine in the door pockets. Graham (and Carole)

Comment

• peterholden
                      Diamond Poster
                      • Dec 2006

It is also my understanding that hi viz vests have to be accessible from within the vehicle. On our Romahome we keep them up on the shelf above the windscreen where they can be seen by any eagle eyed Gendarme.

I do not think that you have to be able to get at the triangle from inside otherwise car manufacturers would not fit them inside the boot lid. We actually carry 2.

Headlights have to be able to be set so that they do not blind oncoming traffic. For some odd reason cars in the UK have headlights that when put on dip have a kick up to the left and this is what blinds oncoming drivers in Europe. Cars from other European countries have parallel dipping headlights and that is why there is no need for them to adjust their lights when they come to the UK.

Remember also the rule in France that tyres on the same axle should be of the same make. When we went to France in August I hit a piece of metal at speed and wrote off a brand new tyre. We had to replace it with an Avon tyre (Our tyres are Barum Vannis) and I can feel the difference in the handling and it is on eth back. We have a new tyre on order to be fitted before our next long trip.

Peter

Comment

• gadgetman
                        Gold Poster
                        • Jul 2009

I see the mention of breathalysers (2) hi viz jackets (one for each passenger) and (2) triangles, but no mention of if you wear spectacles then you must carry a spare pair with you in France. Not sure why SAGA emphasised the over 50's either, maybe they think the under 50's can't afford to go to France or Spain, the good old age pensioners can
                        Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                        'Live without regrets'

Comment

• GeeCee
                          Diamond Poster
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                          It is also my understanding that hi viz vests have to be accessible from within the vehicle. On our Romahome we keep them up on the shelf above the windscreen where they can be seen by any eagle eyed Gendarme.

I do not think that you have to be able to get at the triangle from inside otherwise car manufacturers would not fit them inside the boot lid. We actually carry 2.

Headlights have to be able to be set so that they do not blind oncoming traffic. For some odd reason cars in the UK have headlights that when put on dip have a kick up to the left and this is what blinds oncoming drivers in Europe. Cars from other European countries have parallel dipping headlights and that is why there is no need for them to adjust their lights when they come to the UK.

Remember also the rule in France that tyres on the same axle should be of the same make. When we went to France in August I hit a piece of metal at speed and wrote off a brand new tyre. We had to replace it with an Avon tyre (Our tyres are Barum Vannis) and I can feel the difference in the handling and it is on eth back. We have a new tyre on order to be fitted before our next long trip.

Peter
                          I did not realise replacement tyres had to be the same make on the same axle, that is new to me. Thanks. However, I did realise that you could not mix cross ply and radial tyres on the same axle. Graham (and Carole)

Comment

• GeeCee
                            Diamond Poster
                            • Jan 2011

Skinny tyres and French law

A further thought has come to me about tyres on the same axle having to be the same make. How does that equate with the modern trend of car makers supplying vehicles with skinny tyres in case of punctures? Are those skinny spare tyres the same make as fitted to the other wheels? Graham (and Carole)

Comment

• Motorova
                              Gold Poster
                              • Jun 2013

The space saver spare wheel has a maximum speed limit of 30 to 50 MPH printed on it and if it is of an overall smaller diameter than the other wheel and fitted to your driving wheel, it won't do your diff much good either if you drive a fair distance with it.
                              You are supposed to use it only to drive to a place where you can get your proper tyre repaired.
                              Last edited by Motorova; 27-11-2013, 12:33.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X