Spain and Portugal in January

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spain and Portugal in January

We are off again to get more winter light and exercise. We took the poole cherbourg ferry as we visited family in bournemouth on the way. from poole it took us 3 days to get to Extramadura , along the french coast the weather was surprisingly balmy no snow probably the atlantic keeps things warm, then in Spain up in the northern mountains there was a lot of snow. 3 days ago hundreds were trapped on a spanish motorway north of Segovia. When we got there the roads were clear and there was no ice, but snow in the fields.
    We are parked on thick snow on a high car park tonight. We may have to dig out a few shovel fulls of snow to get back to the road after our walk.

Good luck Derek, you are very intrepid, keep us informed.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

You can also help the forum by shopping online at Amazon using this link

Comment

I'm jealous! Enjoy!

Comment

We walked up to 1500m and were postholing in snow up to our crotch. Pictures will follow. This was about Salamanka.We shortened our route. We could have walked in deep snow in Scotland so we decided to go further south in Extramadura and stay lower. We are now 1.5 degree further south below Caceres. Spain is big!
        People might like to know that diesel prices at supermarkets in france averaged 1.36 euro, 2 fills, I could have bought cheaper in uk? I wonder if the french government have started increasing tax on diesel? Before returning from provence we were buying at 1.20eu. When we got to Spain (spanish chain) we bought at 1.04 eu. That was pleasing, but then refilled at carrefour for 1.17. Still better than France.

Comment

Originally posted by Derekoak View Post
          We walked up to 1500m and were postholing in snow up to our crotch. We could have walked in deep snow in Scotland so we decided to go further south in Extramadura and stay lower.
          Well i must admit there is 4 hours more daylight than Scotland in January. Sun set at 6.20 this evening as we drove south, lighter in the mornings too but I was not up with the light this morning

Comment

Have a wonderful time. Where are those photos?

Comment

A wet day today walk cancelled i will see what i can do

Comment

average fuel prices today...

http://www.fuel-prices-europe.info
                Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 13-01-2018, 01:26 PM.

Comment

No photos worth showing until our snowy day 11th Jan.
                  here is where we stayed the night
                  20180111_095700-800x600.jpg
                  we walked through 6 inch snow at 1200m
                  20180111_104631-800x600.jpg
                  then started up a bigger hill. All other footprints disappeared here I am kicking steps in 18 inches of snow
                  20180111_114256-800x600.jpg
                  higher there was a thin crust of ice to kick through and it got deeper. 20180111_121531-600x800.jpg
                  we descended earlier than planned
                  20180111_123555-800x600.jpg
                  back on the road there was a reconstructed wolf trap basically a hole with steep sides. The hole was baited with a dead sheep, the wolves thought they could jump out again but supposedly could not. Then the villagers killed them!
                  20180111_134602-800x600.jpg
                  also an snow pit another deeper hole villagers before refrigeration rolled a snow ball above the hole and stuck a branch in it. Over night it froze then they carried the branch over their shoulder to the hole and squashed the ball in with many others and covered with straw for insulation. In the summer the ice was sold to monasteries and the army for keeping food
                  20180111_135330-800x600.jpg
                  then we had to dig the car out
                  20180111_145626-800x600.jpg

Comment

Summer tyres....I don't say no more....snow/ice pit looks great......apart from that, winterwonderland..especially the third pic....!

Comment

Lovely photos Derek

Comment

Thats a very interesting chart, Neidriger. I'll file the url for future reference. Thinks: where's Algeria? Diesel 9 pence a litre? I want some of that!
                        Interesting that EU countries are now charging more than the UK. Watch the remoaners shouting when our prices increase to the same level as europe.
                        Derek you are indeed very intrepid. That is very pretty but not necessarily my idea of fun!
                        Last edited by gasgas; 13-01-2018, 02:20 PM.
                        Necessarium esse superfluum Latin

Comment

Yes interesting chart but algeria 99p still pretty good. France is more expensive for diesel now than all except Norway and Iceland! I will fill up in Spain before we go to portugal!
                          Gasgas I do enjoy that sort of walking but my kicking muscles ache after the first day of that and it tires Ellie more so we are now several degree latitude furthur south only 100km from Seville and planning a lower woodland walk in the Sun. We have not come across closed from snow tarmaced roads. I only needed to get rid of about 5 shovels of snow to get out even with summer tyres. Most tourists would have driven past on the free motorway 800metres lower where there was no snow unless you looked up. Spain does not need to be intrepid in January!
                          The next day we had an interesting short walk over a hill by an Arroyo (dry river valley )that was not dry as it was filled with ruined watermills,
                          Then in the afternoon a boring walk through farmland cows sheep and endless olives with the odd orange and lemon and almond grove. Fences and private signs everywhere, not welcoming!

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
                            Thats a very interesting chart, Neidriger. I'll file the url for future reference. Thinks: where's Algeria? Diesel 9 pence a litre? I want some of that!
                            Interesting that EU countries are now charging more than the UK. Watch the remoaners shouting when our prices increase to the same level as europe.
                            Derek you are indeed very intrepid. That is very pretty but not necessarily my idea of fun!
                            The problem with that Andrew is the price in euros has become more expensive because of the fall in sterling.

Why did that happen do you think?
                            Geoff

Comment

I read the average UK Diesel price today (Saturday) as 1.394 Euros....might be my reading glasses....France at 1.41, Spain at 1.177 and Germany at 1.229....all in Euros...obviously...

Big sorry for the OT Derek...!
                              Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 13-01-2018, 09:50 PM.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X