Speed Camaras Abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed Camaras Abroad

Has anyone picked up a speeding ticket whilst in France? We got caught by a camera last week whilst travelling in France. We have not returned home yet so don't know if there is a nasty little letter awaiting us. What happens if you ignore the fine do the British courts take over, do you get balllifs knocking on your door or what? The only other time we were caught speeding in France was by a policeman with a handheld speed gun and then the fine was on the spot.

I've had cameras go off a few times (maybe 3) and never heard anything. How big is your van? Sometimes the camera thinks you're a lorry and after a human looks at the photo it gets binned.

Comment

So difficult to keep to their limits, I know if you have a French hire car you will almost certainly get one. Been flashed before and got away with it. Someone will come on here and say the answer is DON'T SPEED!

Comment

OK since you give the instruction, I will say DON'T SPEED. Just to keep you happy. I am not totally innocent, sometimes I haven't braked hard enough to get down to the speed before entering the zone.

I noticed that the forrin speed cameras are hidden and small and grey, unlike ours. Do they still flash? I thought that the ones here are digital cameras with infra red flood lights to work in the dark.
        Can you imagine our lot finding the names and addresses of all the (mainly Polish) trucks and box bodied Transits that flash along the motorway 50 zones at 70? I think not. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has got ticketed though. I have heard of british motorcyclists who are stopped by French police and marched off to the nearest cash machine and relieved of money - no receipt given of course.
        We went to Marseilles and back a few weeks ago and I commented that in that two weeks I saw more Police than I have in the last five years in England. I have an Aguri sat nag which goes 'Bing Bing Bing' and then She Who Must Be Obeyed says "warning, hazard ahead". I think that is to get round the rule, if it exists, that you are not allowed to have speed trap warnings on your sat nav. She also says the same thing for hairpin bends, quayside parking and other odd assorted hazards.
        In that day you will cry out because of your king you have chosen. 1 Samuel v18

Comment

I have gone through a few foreign camera traps thinking 50mph seems a bit fast for this sort of road but never had a ticket. I did hear a story about a chap who vsited Switzerland regularly and never paid the fines getting a polite letter reminding him that the border police now had instructions to impound his car on his next visit if he didn't pay up.
          Sesquipedalianism:-The overusage of long words.

Comment