Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

France has lowered their speed limits. 'A' roads are now 50mph.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

France has lowered their speed limits. 'A' roads are now 50mph.

As UK pounds are close to being more valuable than Euros, (they are jealous!) France has decided to collect more of them by reducing their speed limit on what we would call 'A' roads, without medians. I think that is roads without a central barrier, I think. See this:
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/80-kmh/
    I don't know if they have changed all their speed limit signs but I do know that there are far more traffic police there than there are here. On a recent trip I don't think I went through any town that didn't have a significant Police presence on the streets. So watch out. They don't ask politely for your address and send you a ticket, they march you to the nearest cash point and make you extract the drinking vouchers.
    suivez l'aventure

Ironically don't think we saw one policeman in France last week although was aware of the new limits.

Comment

Did they have new speed signage, or were you just clever dicks who researched and found out before you went?
      suivez l'aventure

Comment

I have seen a few new "80" signs so they do exist! but I've seen far more "90" signs still up, but with black tape stuck over them to cross them out - so I guess they haven't made enough new signs yet, or haven't gotten around to putting them up. I've also seen some signage that seem to me to be wrong, where there are two lanes on one side of the road but no central barrier (those sections they stick in now and again to give traffic half a km or so to overtake), with a "90" sign where it starts and an "80" where it finishes; now I thought the same as gasgas says, that dual carriageways with no central barriers are 80, that's certainly what I've read in the French press. So either the départements have discretion to override the new limits in some situations, or someone's got it wrong; there appears to be some confusion. Surprise surprise.

I also noticed on Sunday that all the VMS signs on the motorway were being used to remind everyone about the new limits (even though the motorway limits haven't changed). Wonder how long they'll keep those on for before they assume everyone has twigged.
        Away with the Fairies

Comment

Well I guess we just have to stick to 80 and put up with the honking from the Renaults following behind. The BMWs of course will still flash past at 90. Mph that is.
          Watch out, Maigret is back and he might nick you. He'll have a job though in that Traction Avant, I don't think they did 60. Mph. I mean 90. Kph. Oh, you know what I mean.
          Do the French value classic cars like the 2CV, the Renault 4 and the Traction Avant like we do? I know they tend to buy a car and run it into the ground and then keep it in their garden as a chicken shed, but you do see them around, still being used as every day transport. I often wonder about trying to buy one. I think the Renault 4 would be my favourite. I had one once and did a few jobs on it.
          suivez l'aventure

Comment

Yes there are lots of classic car clubs for 2CVs and things. There's actually quite a thriving MG owners club too. British cars have always been considered très cool, oddly enough, I remember back in the day when I was a very young voyageuse I knew a French chap here who had an Allegro, which a lot of people regarded as a bit of a joke in the UK, square steering wheel and all that, but here it was a great status symbol and he was so proud of it. There is a special registration category for véhicules de collection much like in the UK I believe, I forget if they're cheaper to register or less stringent on the testing or what though I did look into it once as a possibility for my old Hymer. The reason folk don't change cars as often here is simply that there is no annual road tax, instead you pay a one-off tax when you first register a car, new or old, in your name. So if you change cars every three years you will pay a registration fee once every three years, if you register a car and keep it for 15 years you pay a registration tax once every 15 years, no brainer. It can't exactly stimulate car sales though can it.

I'm not scared of Maigret, I don't think he ever learned to drive did he? I believe he made Mrs Maigret learn. Mind you the way he knocks his "marc" back at all hours of the day, it's probably a good job.
            Away with the Fairies

Comment

I take it Voyageuse that you habite en France?
              I came across an interesting Youtube today on how BMC made Minis, and another one on how in the early 1950s they made the engines for Morris cars. I can hardly believe it but apparently they ran the Mini engines once they were finished using electric motors to give them an initial 'running in' with 'special' (i.e. gritty) running-in lubricant. It is quite interesting - yer tiz- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9g6...xbWnPLglRvgvxQ
              suivez l'aventure

Comment

Great video, takes you right back. I always wanted a purple Mini when I was a teenager, I don't know if purple was a factory colour or if it was an aftermarket job but you used to see a few about, but it was a green one that I got in the end. EUG 166D, so we called it Huge.

PS oui j'habite en Normandie.
                Away with the Fairies

Comment

From what I have observed over many years of visiting France Margret was not the only French citizen who couldn't drive it would seem to be a pretty common problem.
                  Janet

Comment

I know - they drive on the wrong side of the road, they don't give way when they join a main road from a side road on the right if there's no give way sign, they think they can use the inside lane if they're turning left at a roundabout, etc etc etc - anyone would think they were following a different highway code

There are free websites where you can simulate a code de la route "theory test" and it gives you a score. I used to take loads when I first discovered them, it's quite fun, but I never got anywhere remotely close to a pass. Which is a bit scary when you think about it...
                    Away with the Fairies

Comment

It only takes one day to respray a Mini. Park it on your drive in the morning. Mask up the windows and lights (actually you can remove the lights it's just as quick), rub it down by hand, spray primer, rub it down lightly, have lunch. Spray a mist coat of top colour, wait 15 minutes, spray a heavy coat and leave to dry for 2 hours. Watch a game of "let's see what fouls we can get away with" on telly, remove the masking newspaper, refit the lights and voila! You have your purple Mini. I got fed up with mine getting stolen in London so I sprayed the body in that Renault Lime Green (see, I'm sticking to the topic! ) of the early 1970s with a Police Fluorescent Red bonnet and boot. It never got stolen again, and was very easy to spot in a car park.
                      suivez l'aventure

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X