GPS in France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS in France

According to the AA it is illegal not only to use speed camera warnings on a GPS, but also to have it installed on the device. I can turn speed camera warnings off, but don't know what to do about the second bit :confused1:

What do other folks do?

Originally posted by VonUK View Post
    According to the AA it is illegal not only to use speed camera warnings on a GPS, but also to have it installed on the device. I can turn speed camera warnings off, but don't know what to do about the second bit :confused1:

What do other folks do?
    I think your getting confused with radar detectors, a seperate gadget, which is the device that is strictly banned in France - illegal here, too, AFAIK.

There is no problem with speed detection cameras on a gps, as this info is already in the public domain.

Do make sure you have the other essentials, though - accessible yellow jackets - warning triangle - and spare bulb kits spring to mind.

If you're new to touring in France - do keep an eye on your speed - even if in the middle of a stream of French vehicles - they can get great delight in pulling you, the visitor, out of the line, whilst letting the rest go!!

Mike

Comment

Thankyou Mike, that is so helpful! I've travelled in France, mainly Brittany a few times, and have always used the GPS with no problem, - find it really useful for visualising roundabout and dual carriageway exits and entries in particular. A friend from Birmingham who is travelling with us spooked me last night when she rang to say that she didn't think she could use her GPS, because of the speed camera regulations, and I thought the regulations must have changed, which I also thought was rather strange, since most GPS systems have speed camera alerts. (A useful addition I think, because it alerts me to speed restrictions which might be different in France, and I'd rather spend my money on things other than on the spot fines )

Thanks for the info and help

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
      Working...
      X