Crit'Air, or CritAir or Critair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crit'Air, or CritAir or Critair

I just read in MMM about whole big chunks of France wanting you to have a Crit'Air sticker. I have been happily driving round France whistling a happy tune not realising I was being illegal. I thought these things were only if you are deranged and want to drive in Paris, or inside the M25, so I never bothered. You can't get to South France without going through a Crit'Air zone which requires you to have a sticker in your windscreen.
    Happily I wasnt subjected to a diet of Frogs legs and snails in a froggie jail though, 'cos they didn't catch me.
    It is simple, and cheap and once you get the sticker it stays with your vehicle for its life.
    Goto certificat-air.gouv.fr/en and use the 'Apply for the certificate' tab. They are ever so considerate, it is all in English. Quick, before we brexit!
    It costs about £4. You scan your reg document showing the VIN and your name and address, and attach it in your application - it is easy.

What I thought was a laff was this:
    You enter all your details: name/address / vehicle VIN, date of first registration and registration number.
    Then they ask you what Euro it is, so I put 5. which mine is.
    Then an error message comes up, saying your Euro5 doesn't match the vehicle registration date. Which it doesn't.
    So I changed my Euro to 6. The error message disappeared. Jolly good, they are happy with that so I will get a Euro6 sticker, though my engine is Euro5. Tee hee. Apparently if your V5 doesn't show the CO2 emissions, they go by the date of first registration. Therein lies the fault: they are assuming that your vehicle was registered reasonably soon after it was manufactured. So if you happen to get one which is new when Euro6 is current, but yours was made when Euro5 was current, you can send them your V5 not showing the CO2 and they will assume it is a Euro6.
    At least I think I will. They want you to scan your V5 which won't show your emissions because it is registered as a motor caravan and they don't print the emissions on motor caravan V5s. If you really want them to, you can return your V5 with your Certificate of Conformity to DVLA and ask them nicely and the DVLA will print you a new V5 with the emissions.
    So I think I am in with a chance of getting a Euro6 sticker, which will be a jolly wheeze. Only if they don't read the Certificat De Conformite which says Euro5.

Now. I must remember where I put those Hi Viz jackets, aclo breather things, warning triangle, Rabies injections and all that other stuff they want me to have in France. I'm sure I had them in my last van but they aren't in this one for some reason. That's two trips over there I have done with no CritAir sticker or all that other stuff.
    suivez l'aventure

Off with his head!
    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

And my headlights dipped to the left because I didn't have any beam deflectors. Oh deary me. However I adjusted them to their lowest setting and didn't get anyone flashing me.
      suivez l'aventure

Comment

About to order stickers for the van and car, can't wait for the aggro.

Comment

Well that was easier than expected, the van getting a number 3 sticker for Euro 4 engine. Car getting a 2 for a euro 5.

Comment

Yup, I got a 2 for a Euro5 as well. Apparently you get some priveliges as well, such as reduced car parking charges, though I guess your French would need to be better than mine to read the notices on the machine. Remember to stick it to the bottom right corner of your windscreen, which of course is their nearside.
            P1050414.JPG
            suivez l'aventure

Comment

I'm off to Europe again soon. I was browsing an RAC site about the requirements for different countries and it didn't say anything about a 1st aid kit in France which I always thought was compulsory?

I'm off to Sweden via Belgium, Holland and Germany and Denmark so I'm likely to get confused...

Comment

Just take the unused first aid kit out of your 1992 Mercedes and put it in the camper. That's what I do.
                suivez l'aventure

Comment

I just applied late. I got them to deliver to my son in Brussels who we are visiting on the way to give more time. But 2 things: my car is euro 6 but i still get crit air 2. diesels after 2011 all get 2, then they the next day sent me an invoice with a small yellow 2 at the bottom as proof that i was entitled, so i suppose if the actual sticker is late i can put the invoice in the windscreen and go anyway

Comment

Yes you will be OK derek, you can bet that they will detect these things using a roadside camera, and if they don't it will be the roadside Police who will just go tappetey tap on their hand held devices to check your registration number. The Computer Headquarters will have your number listed and registered so there won't be any problem. Don't worry, be Happy and have a good trip!

Even if it is to Belgium.

Well I suppose someone has to live there.

I wasn't impressed when I worked there. Crazy roadworks, you just drive all over the materials and the dug up road.
                    suivez l'aventure

Comment

We are actually off to the Vanoise , Brianconaise areas, by way of Brussels. Avoiding Peages we often seem to go through Belgium and Luxemboug to get to the French Alps .

Comment

Originally posted by Empyrean View Post
                        I'm off to Europe again soon. I was browsing an RAC site about the requirements for different countries and it didn't say anything about a 1st aid kit in France which I always thought was compulsory?

I'm off to Sweden via Belgium, Holland and Germany and Denmark so I'm likely to get confused...
                        You won't just be confused, you won't be able to see out of the windscreen for all the legally required stickers.
                        suivez l'aventure

Comment