Hi from St. Malo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi from St. Malo

Hi once again hoping I am not boring you, we are now at St. Malo, Jimmy our dog is due at the vets in the morning for his pre check before going back to the U.K. on Friday. We had a right job finding a campsite, we went to one that wasn't available until 5.00 in the afternoon, another one was shut, and the third we couldn't find at all. Anyway we are now way outsite St.Malo and the vets (we know where he/she is) and they are quite expensive and its pouring with rain. My husband says I need (I ) a canaopy or something that would just pull down from the van to put the chairs and table under any suggestions? :so happy:just having hot baked potatoes.

Hello Megan in St Malo. Good luck with your visit to the vets. I have read many stories of bad experiences and it has completely put me off taking the dog abroad. Make sure the vet stamps your papers in the correct place and with the correct date!

Have a good trip home
    Mary

Comment

We sailed back from St. Malo recently with three dogs; the procedure couldn't have been simpler for getting them wormed etc before we sailed. The biggest problem was finding the vets as they'd moved since VonUK contacted them to book us in. However, thanks to her superb navigation skills and someone at the vet's who spoke some English we managed to find the new practice.

The vet was very thorough and completed the pet passport down to the last letter; it wasn't cheap, about E60 but worth it to have the pleasure of the dogs on holiday with us.

The night before sailing was spent on the Brittany Ferries car park, E5 for 24 hours and use of the loos etc in the building. Was great for peace of mind, no worries about getting held up en route for the port and plenty of time to register the dogs at the terminal.

The ferry has kennels for the dogs or they can stay in your vehicle - mine tried both and preferred the van. He started off in the kennel but after the first loo and walk trip he voted firmly with his paws and refused to get back into the kennel so I had to take him back to the van, much to his delight.

Normally that wouldn't have been too bad as vehicles with dogs are all parked on deck 5 which is the where the kennels and dog walks are so it is possible for them to stay in the vans and still get to stretch their legs and so on at designated times. I was on level 3 'cus I needed to use the lift up so it was slightly more complicated to sort Bracken out; the Brittany Ferries staff couldn't have been more helpful and even took his lead for me as I was struggling with him and my crutches.

All in all we were very impressed with the whole experience and won't hesitate to use the vet and Brittany Ferries in the future. Even the 10 hour day sailing was very relaxing.

Comment

No 6 metre rule in St Malo!

I remember a camping trip when we spent the last night on a site in St Malo ready for an early ferry the next morning.

The tents were so crammed in that the guy ropes overlapped, to the extent that they had to be shortened as far as they'd go so as not to puncture the neighbouring tents!

To be fair that would have been 1988 so maybe things have changed.

Geoff
        Geoff

Comment

We did the St.Malo crossing with 'Jimmy' our miniure schnauzer in May and he went in the kennel, like you say we were able to go and take him for walks at certain times and he seemed quite happy, we did a short crossing last year with him and both times have been very impressed with the ferry company and the vet in France. Recently he has been from Oban to Mull and stayed in the car, but I could have taken him out and then we went from Mull to Iona, but that was with him on the lead, spending 2 nights in a hotel in Iona meant taking luggage as well, I was on my own and I don't know what other people must have thought when they saw me and the luggage with the walking boots tied on,the dogs rucksack with all his bits in it and the dog on the lead. We managed it though, going back to the same hotel next year for 4 nights.:so happy:

Comment

What a well travelled pooch I do hope Jimmy appreciates all the trips you take him on.

Di.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
            Working...
            X