Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best ferry crossing for Brittany

Good evening everyone,
    A quick question - I will be booking a crossing soon - heading from Scotland to tour in (mostly) Brittany in mid-May for three weeks in my Nissan NV200,interior shot shown...

Can you guys recommend the best crossing for me to book?

This will be the first time abroad in it since the conversion.

Our favourite is Brittany ferries. They go to various ports across Brittany so it depends where you want to begin and end your tour.

Plymouth to Roscoff is about 5 hours in the day and takes you to the far west of the northern coast. Or you can go to St. Malo (9 hours) and Caen (6 hours I think) which are more in the middle. Then there is Le Harvre a bit more east can't remember the crossing time probably about 4 or 5. They are all longer in the night crossings.

Then there is Newhaven to Dieppe these are not Britanny though and it's years since we used them so I can't remember much except it was more of a catermaran.

I'm sure others will have their ideas too.

Your van looks lovely .

Comment

I would have said the same as Pauline but Brexit rears its ugly head and Brittany Ferries are warning passengers they may get cancelled - it was on the BBC in the SW yesterday

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46946499

So maybe you should speak to Brittany Ferries but being aware of the issues. I mean the journey to Plymouth is relatively straightforward A74(M), M6, M5, and A38.
      Do not forget to check your insurance - on my renewal my insurers have cut European time from 90 days to 30 days with no song or dance.
      Jon
      Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
      https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

Thanks to both Pauline and kernowjon - this is excellent information for me, and I now realise I must check the duration abroad, as well as the Brexit aspect, something I had not considered.

Comment

I was thinking about this (trips to Europe) last night as AlbaSilver is not the only forum member considering a trip to Europe about Easter time. Personally (having followed the Brexit chaos), I would think if March 29th is B Day then probably trips to Europe in April or May run the risk of disruption.
          The government trying to get haulage to run alternative routes (Brittany Ferries problem and probably other routes) Dover Calais or the tunnel - Kent maybe a grid-locked truck park.
          Good news for the domestic tourist industry - of course that may change - if a soft Brexit deal is done!
          Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
          https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

The N12 which runs West from St Malo to Brest is a wonderful road. You can be driving along it and not see another vehicle from horizon to horizon. Beware though, I think the further west you go, the fewer people speak English, and watch out for the old fashioned French way of vehicles pulling into your road from a side turning think they have the right of way. Other than that the area is lovely, like Cornwall only with more sunshine, no tourists, lots of crepes and some local hooch. One evening we stood on the cliffs and counted 13 light houses flashing away.
            Me being a cheapskate would go to Cherbourg or Le Havre for the cheaper ferry and drive a bit extra.
            Do not worry about tomorrow, tomorrow will worry about itself.

Comment

I'm going to Normandy in September, taking the Poole to Cherbourg route (4.5 hours). It looks just round the corner from Brittany on the map.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregor View Post
                I'm going to Normandy in September, taking the Poole to Cherbourg route (4.5 hours). It looks just round the corner from Brittany on the map.
                Yes it's well into Brittany, only thing we found is it's a long drive down the peninsula that Cherbourg is at the top of. It was a long time ago though so hopefully the roads have improved.

Comment

ive done newhaven to dieppe a few times, they used to give a good price on my Campervan. It puts you a few hours more west in france, but it takes me as long, if not longer, to get to newhaven than it does to dover. (Coming from wales). I always arrive a early (i cant do what her indoors would like and turn up on time - i have to get there a bit early) and then there is lots of waiting. One year id allowed far to much time but was first in the queue. To my dismay they let all the cars on first anyway, and also i was at the front of the camper area, i was actually at the back as the ferry only had one way on and off unlike the calais ferries. In Dover they often just stick you on the next ferry and if you get to the front you are first off!
                  I spent last years april in the dorset and it rained almost every day. No chance im wasting my time in this country this year!
                  Ive just switched my bank account to the nationwide one so i can get free European breakdown. I believe this is £13 a month for both me and my wife (joint account) so im hoping being married finally pays off!

Comment

We found meandering fun but fast roads boring and hence tiring so chose ports that gave easiest access to the region we wanted to explore. Just one word of caution. Be prepared for bank holidays. Open petrol stations and shops may be hard to find and all those deserted camping spots can fill in an instant. Have fun.

Comment

nb newhaven to dieppe is about 4 hours - so not long enough to get a good kip - but too long to be quick.
                      On the britanny routes if you go overnight you can get a good kip in, which sort of saves a lot of time. My father used to swear by this when we lived on anglesey.
                      He used to like plymouth to roscoff. I suppose it depends what you plan to do, any area east of le havre will be lovely.
                      In fact i went had a short break last year mainly staying about 5 miles from Calais and we loved it at Camping La Bien Assise, although this was in July.
                      Obviously for more sun you need to go further south. We have toured a lot of Normandy - we stayed at a great airre in Saint Valery En caux.
                      Have you considered getting a ferry from the east coast to holland? Why spend time driving in the uk when you can drive abroad!

Comment

We travel almost exclusively by Brittany Ferries these days, we belong their Club Voyage and get 30% off.

We are going Portsmouth Caen and return in 3 weeks and Portsmouth to St Malo and return in June, already booked.

It depends where in Brittany you want to go. We have used the Caen crossing a lot in recent years, there is a convenient aire at Coleville Montogomery for the Caen crossing

Peter

Comment

We tend to go Dover/Calais, it's usually cheaper! and quicker!
                          depends where you're going. If you add on extra fuel/Toll costs it may be cheaper going another route.
                          We stayed on a site near Dover overnight, got the ferry in the morning and were in Germany by the afternoon

Comment

I really appreciate all the above comments, and everything mentioned will be checked out. You guys know your stuff!
                            Just incidentally, as a confirmed petrolhead/car enthusiast, I came across this in my research, which I will definitely visit -

https://www.manoir-automobile.fr/accueil/

Comment

Originally posted by AlbaSilver View Post
                              Just incidentally, as a confirmed petrolhead/car enthusiast, I came across this in my research, which I will definitely visit -

https://www.manoir-automobile.fr/accueil/
                              This looks interesting and within striking distance of where I'll be in September - thanks!

Comment

widgetinstance 226 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X