French speed fine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

French speed fine

I have just received a speed fine notice for mont marsan area 30/11/18, just coming back from Spain. I remember being flashed as it was in the dark. I was apparently doing 87kph on an 80 area (all single carriageway are now 80). The "speed used is 82" so it appears they give a tolerance of 5kph. If they gave 10% like the uk, i would have been just in. The reduced fine was 45 euro (less than 20kph over in an area where over 50kph permitted). That looks like the fine might be worse in urban areas.
    we drove through France again after christmas. I wonder if I have any more? I am still in 90 kph mode when in france and not fully on the ball.

I'm expecting one from France. Saw the flash and looked at the sat nav - 108 in an 80 limit. It was one of those long straight wide roads with nothing coming the other way and I was keeping up with the lorry in front, I hope he gets fined as well.

I don't trust French lorry drivers anymore.

Comment

join the Gillet jaunes !

Comment

God, you are a maniac Derek...and then having the steering wheel on the wrong side and probably all your windows blackened out as in stealth mode....maniac....

Got my last speeding ticket when Belgium changed max speed on motorways from a 130 to a 120km/h...actually got 2....I thought I'm fine with doing a 140, giving the error of the speedometer but did not figur in that change in law...

These days I set the max speed on the car, easy to do, so French motorways 140km/h, French roads off the motorway 90km/h, inner city driving in Brussels 40km/h.....all of the former 10km/h above the permitted speed limit.......feels better with a bit of overhead....despite knowing that I can overide the setting any time with pushing the pedal down very hard, to the floorboard......but then the reaction of the automated gearbox kind of puts me off...not as instantaneous as I would like...
        Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 12-04-2019, 15:46.

Comment

Originally posted by llywelyn1984 View Post
          join the Gillet jaunes !
          Oh I have no objection to speed limits. I knew it was 80 I just forgot. They put the limit down for environmental reasons and safety i agree with those reasons. My satnav which is cheap, copilot Eu, was still showing the old speed, 90, so red warnings for 5kph over were not on, but in my head I knew I was supposed to adjust manually, it had been a long day but my fault. Copilot has updated now.
          I am sympathetic to the Gilet Jaunes over French pockets of poverty, their complaints are more than fuel and traffic.
          My problem is where the speed limit is not clear, those sneaky telegraph pole mounted Welsh street lights that make it 30mph, without any sign I ever saw, with nothing approaching a built up area, just hedges and fields. At the speed awareness course I complained, but I am sure they had heard it all before.

Comment