We`re in Switzerland!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We`re in Switzerland!

We have just arrived at a favourite site of ours at Innertkirchen, in our little Smart car, complete with everything but the kitchen sink!
    Journey down through the Jura mountains was spectacular - and the weather is hot - if a little windy here today.

The choice of bringing the Smart seems to have played off - we are getting around 80mpg,
    Instead of about 30-32 with the Bongo!!

Will post further progress report depending on internet access!

Mike

These 'smart' people - they get just anywhere! Do you mean this is your sole means of transport or you have towed it behind something? Or even carried it in the underneath compartment of a monster sized campervan??

Am intrigued.

Whatever, it sounds wonderful. Have fun.
    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Hope, just us and the Smart - we have camped on a motorbike for years, so used to roughing it - and about the same luggage capacity, plus we don`t get wet or cold!!!

Mike

Comment

Wow, that's amazing! I wonder if anyone else has camped in a smart car!! Are you having the odd night in B&B's or just camping in a little tent?

Sounds like you're having a great time! I hope the weather stays good for you!

Comment

Yes, I am seriously impressed as well. Good for you. :so happy:

Also makes me feel ashamed that I struggle to reduce the 'stuff' I carry in the R20 when away for a few days. Will strive to emulate your fine example and adopt my 'suitcase for trips abroad' approach... You know the routine:

Make a big pile of essentials to pack, then halve the pile several times, and then reduce still further if at all possible.

Ok, ok, am still working on that one as well!

Comment

Nah - too tight to go b&b - but boy, did we survive a storm last night - never camped in such weather - thunder rolling round the mountains - and rain like I expected would swamp us, or wash us away! But no probs - we stayed dry in our little Vango tent!! Sorry about the lack of paragraphs - the return button doesnt seem to want to play!, Mike

Comment

What a wonderful adventure.

Comment

Sounds like fun. Hope you enjoy the rest of your hols.

Di.

Comment

Today we crossed the 3 passes - the Grimsel, the Furka (8000ft), and the Susten - weather lovely and warm - but cool in the evenings, at over 2000ft!!

Tuesday we are moving to Lucerne, which our son assures us is very nice!!

Little Smart coped well with the mountains, albeit with a small queue behind us!!

Mike

Comment

It has made me dizzy just thinking about this road, just googled Grimsell pass and found some horrifying pictures of all three passes, this is Grimsell, I would prefer walking to driving on here;

Enjoy yourselves

Comment

If you did this one, you must be mad Yamaha! I wish I did not have this ridiculous fear of heights.

The Furka

and the Susten:

Comment

OMG!!!!! And I found driving up / down the mountains of Greece a real white-knuckle job - am still shaking at the memory.

You are SOOOOOOO brave! (We don't even have HILLS in our area, let alone mountains.)

Comment

Blooming eck! Those pictures look seriously frightening.

Well done Mike and Sue, what a lovely adventure for such an old chap.

Have fun you too.
                          Graham
                          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Well, we have had a lovely time so far - spent a couple of nights at Luzern (well, just outside, actually) at a lovely little farm site - but with a bistro and small pool - and as it was about 30 deg I did have a splash about!!
                            Switzerland really is a stunning country - but very expensive - apparently prices have risen this year by 20% - a large french-stye baton loaf was €5 - over £4!!

We are now back in France, where the euro goes quite a way further - spent 4 lovely nights at a small Dutch site in the Vosges region of SE France - just NE of Colmar.
                            So inviting - a little patch of Holland in the French countryside. As soon as we arrived, were offered a cuppa - a first in over 50 years of camping!!
                            It is really a beautiful area - forests, lakes, and, whilst we were there, 30+% - except for the last day, Sunday just gone, when it rained all afternoon, and much of the evening.

Packed up Mon am, and headed north via Luzembourg - diesel €1.17 litre - and cheap baccy!! Did about 240 miles yesterday - and are now on the edge of the Ardenne at a lake campsite, just NW of Charleville Mezieres for a couple of nights.

This is the worst part of our trip - today is overcast and a cold wind. Still, only tonight under canvas - then Weds night the comparative luxury of a Formule1 for one night, so we are up in time to catch the 10am ferry back from Dunkerque to Dover - then about another 230 miles back to Somerset!!

Smart has really done us proud, at 80mpg on the Autoroute it is much more economic than a motorbike - and more comfortable!!!

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike, I read with interest of your journey, Wow very impressed, what a trip, :so happy: 80mpg on the Autoroute fantastic beats my 29mpg, welcome back to the UK, what an advert for a smart car. that must be a first for camping.
                              Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                              'Live without regrets'

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X