Bike racks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike racks

Travelling in Spain we were stopped and fine 40 euros for not displaying a warning sign on our bikes attached to the bike rack on the back of our Dimension.

Ian

Well that's a good warning, it might stop someone else being fined. Thanks Ian.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Bike racks

I recently heard that it is illegal to carry bikes on an rear mounted external rack in Belgium.
      I may be wrong but it's just as well to check.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it used to be illegal for ANYTHING to project beyond the rear of a vehicle in this Country without a warning triangle displayed.
        I never heard of the Law being changed. So strictly, without a triangle is bike rack Legal in this Country? Does anyone know?
        I once saw a VW Camper with 3 bikes strapped across the front! I could not help but think of the carnage if it hit pedestrians.
        In any case, I just hope that should I have the mis-fortune to shunt a vehicle in front with my motorbike it does NOT have a bike rack and bikes!
        In any case, if I take my push bike, it is always INSIDE my Romini.
        Jim.

Just been Googling:
        It seems there are conflicting Laws in the Road Traffic Act section.
        One says it is OK to carry a "load" without a marker if less than 1 metre projection to the rear.
        The other says it is illegal if likely to cause injury to persons.
        I certainy would not expect to get off without injury if I rode a push bike or motorbike into a rack-full of bikes. I know it would probably be my fault, but the wording of the Law does not mention blame.
        I'm sorry I have intruded in a thread about Belgium, but I have long been unhappy about the consequences of contact with any bike rack!
        Last edited by Twolitre; 09-10-2011, 15:18. Reason: Addition.
        Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

I spent the other day making my sign, as it has to be made of aluminium for use in Italy. thought it would for all Europe. I got the reflective from our local sign company, just of cuts but I think it turned out well. DSCF7359.jpgDSCF7360.jpg Just have to remember to turn it when we cross the channel

Comment

Originally posted by nottsadie View Post
            I recently heard that it is illegal to carry bikes on an rear mounted external rack in Belgium.
            I may be wrong but it's just as well to check.
            Don't know about Belgium, but Portugal doesn't allow bikes to be carried on the back of cars, but is allowed on motorhomes provided they don't extend beyond the width of the vehicle.

Could be a problem for those with smaller car derived vehicles.

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/plannin...-requirements/

Jules

Comment

As a motorcyclist, one of my biggest nightmares is the possibilities of rear ending a vehicle covered with bikes!
              Nuff sed?
              By the way, I have a bike. It aways travels INSIDE my Romini!
              Jim.
              Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
              Working...
              X