This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reversing bulb with built in beeper

I've just fitted a couple of these to our van, its a really easy job and hopefully will make those occasions that you reverse on your own just that little bit safer!

basically they are a direct replacement for your reversing bulb but they have a beeper built into them. They aren't deafingly loud, so won't distrub your neighbours but are loud enough to be taken notice off. They are only a few quid here.( I still haven't worked out how to change the word 'here' into the link, like other clever folk do!!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12V-REVERSING-...item3ca65b2097
    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Cheers for that Glen, they sound really good. I could have done with them in our old Duo when I reversed into a concrete pillar at work.

Regarding the link you need to type the word "here" or whatever word or phrase you want to put highlight it and click on the "insert link" and put in the web address and hey presto your word or words will turn into a link.

Hope that makes sense.

Graham
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

brilliant gadget

just the ticket, wonder why its not more widely advertised. Still, gonna get some! thanks for the tip.
      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Graham, maybe I missread that, but did you imply that the concrete post might have heard the beeping and moved out of the way?

Colin

Comment

concrete post

It must have been as deaf as a post - ho ho ho
          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by niloc View Post
            Graham, maybe I missread that, but did you imply that the concrete post might have heard the beeping and moved out of the way?

Colin
            Har har har, laughing like a drain here!

Deaf as a post.... LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
              Har har har, laughing like a drain here!

Deaf as a post.... LOL!
              With gags like that methinks Colin and Ian would make a good double act for the next meet.

"I say, I say, I say, did you hear the one about the concrete post".
              Graham
              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I think that they are brilliant and am thinking of getting one - but I am sure that I have read that they are illegal on vehicles under a certain weight. I have just found this: Legislation governing the use of audible warning devices on reversing vehicles is contained in Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986. Regulation 99 restricts such devices for use on goods-vehicles over two tonnes gross weight, buses, engineering plant, refuse vehicles and works trucks.

Comment

I agree with Peter that (at least on first sight) these seem to be a brilliant idea. The rear end of a Hylo sometimes seems far enough away from the driving seat to merit an audible warning in certain circumstances e.g. having parked in a busy supermarket bay, front end first. But I think there is a noise pollution issue behind the legislation. Certainly I would not want an alarm sounding when I am reversing in between houses (very slowly as width is tight) to park the van in the back garden. It would annoy me, even if not my neighbour, especially at night.

The answer for me, I think, is to give a light pump or three on the horn as I am starting to reverse, if circumstances demanded it. There is a prohibition on sounding the horn on a stationary vehicle, but I think it would be very unlikely to be considered to apply in the above circumstances.

I wonder if a small second horn could be wired in the main horn circuit, separately switched perhaps....? No; not worth it!

.... Roger

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                    I think that they are brilliant and am thinking of getting one - but I am sure that I have read that they are illegal on vehicles under a certain weight. I have just found this: Legislation governing the use of audible warning devices on reversing vehicles is contained in Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986. Regulation 99 restricts such devices for use on goods-vehicles over two tonnes gross weight, buses, engineering plant, refuse vehicles and works trucks.
                    HMMM.... our ambulances have them fitted, where do they fit in the legislation??? Also, it seems from other sellers on line, (obviously it may just be sellers talk), that they have been fetured in the caravan clubs magazine and motorhome monthly?!? I'll keep looking for info but at the mo, we beep in reverse!!
                    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

You keep beeping, Glen. You will feel safer, and it is now a better informed beep!

I very much doubt that you would be taken to task over it. Even if you are, you can easily take them out and the worst scenario is likely to be a caution. It is a non-endorsable offence, so no points.

....Roger

Comment

I think it's an excellent idea! I was just about to go get one for my car when I read about the legislation... I live near a school and reversing out of my drive when the kids are coming out of school merits something... I just have to wait until they've all gone home, about half an hour. Just don't plan anything unless I have to around 3pm. The thought that I might reverse into a child is unthinkable.

If I still had my little roma, I would go out and get one immediately, there's no all round vision on those.

Comment

Creating a Link

Wrong Section
                          Last edited by gunerdoo; 08-11-2009, 10:00. Reason: Wrong Section
                          Gunerdoo Do It Tomorrow ?

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X