This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portable digital/analogue/12 volt/mains TV

My current Nikai, kitchen television is 20 years old and still going strong but it does not have digital, so have been looking for a new one and found this.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=280976

I have the same one -but not wide screen - for my van and it works a treat on holiday BUT just tried it in hte kitchen and it does not work so well for some reason, maybe it is because the reception is not so easily accessed in this built up area! So think I will wait until digital switch over before i get another set now.

If I needed one for my van I would get this as it is a very fair price.

Re portable TV

Originally posted by Flo View Post
    My current Nikai, kitchen television is 20 years old and still going strong but it does not have digital, so have been looking for a new one and found this.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=280976

I have the same one -but not wide screen - for my van and it works a treat on holiday BUT just tried it in hte kitchen and it does not work so well for some reason, maybe it is because the reception is not so easily accessed in this built up area! So think I will wait until digital switch over before i get another set now.

If I needed one for my van I would get this as it is a very fair price.
    Hi just seen your thread we have just bought a 15 inch tv dvd player from Richer sounds £99 it has freeview too and you can look at your pictures too nice little set don't know how long it is on offer though hope this helps

Comment

Mine is a neat little thing as well. If you look for DVD players with freeview built in, they are cheaper than TV freeview players with a DVD built in!

Just one of those great wonders....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T-Large-12-1-m...item5adccf5b07

This one is pretty similar to the one I bought from Ebay, however, it had a larger screen and mine was cheaper than this two years ago!

Comment

Does the TV use more amps the bigger the screen?

Comment

Hi Flo.

A very sensible question from you which I think a lot of people overlook. Yes, the larger the screen the more current (amps or fraction of an amp) is drawn.
          Exactly how much more current I am afraid I do not know.

Interestingly, my old 5.5 inch colour cathode ray tube analogue camping TV drew 800 milliamps, which I thought was excellent. The new(ish) 5.5 inch LCD digital/analogue TV I have draws over an amp, which makes no sense at all to me from the technical point of view. As far as I can recall, my slightly older 8.4 inch LCD TV draws only slightly more current than the 5.5 inch LCD one.

My advice would be to go for the smallest screen you can manage with. It all depends on the viewing distance and amount of viewers. One viewer should manage OK with a smaller screen size than multiple viewers.

Tony

Comment

The reason I ask is that we regularly camp for up to 5 days without hook up and we take a Power pack for those Essential TV times ie a cold rainy evening after an equally cold rainy day and a good episode of COAST on.

We are rationed to whateve amps we can get out of the pack and usually about 7 hours in total or an hour a day so important to get the most economical TV we can, hence the 9" one.

Comment

Nikkai TV

Hi Flo.

We've got the 7" Nikkai TV bought from Maplin for our van. We paid £80 for it a few months ago and we are pleased with it.

My understanding is that digital tv uses a lot more power than analogue, which I don't think many people realize. I found this out because I can run my wind up radio for a lot longer on analogue than digital.

Patricia

Comment

That is interesting Patricia. Very often we can get no signal at all and we have a 'two minute' rule, if after that time we cannot get a picture it goes back in the box.

Comment

Hi again Flo.

I have looked at the Maplin URL you provided earlier and I note that the TV you are considering is rated at 10 watts consumption, which if correct, is better than excellent. My 8.4 inch TV (from Maplin) is rated at 18 watts. So, you are not likely to find anything else with that relatively low current consumption for the same (9 inch) screen size. However, you have made no mention in your previous posts of the capabilities of the ''power pack'' you intend to use for the TV, and is anything else going to be run off that p/pack.

Tony

Comment

hi Tony

We have a Halfords power pack 200 ie 20 amp hours, which we use just for tv and very occasional phone charging when we have no hook up. It fits under the seat and can be used upright or flat so is quite unobtrusive.
                    Thanks for the information about the television wattage.

Comment

Hi Flo.

That type 200 power pack you have will be fine with the TV you are thinking of buying. It all equates to approx. 20 hours viewing (i.e., 1 amp for 20 hours) including a bit of mobile phone charging. Make sure you charge the power pack up ASAP when you get home from your travels as lead acid batteries do not take too kindly to being left in a discharged state for long.

Tony

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X