This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Skillet advice please

Need advice from double skillet owners. I am thinking this maybe a useful device for my daughter going back to university. In her university accomodation cooking facilities are limited to a shared double ring and a microwave. (Believe me this is a step up last year she only had a microwave and a toaster).

Would you go for the small version or the big one? Bearing in mind she sometimes will be entertaining and plans to do a big meal for some new freshers when she goes back. (They have a scheme where second years are paired up with first years and they become 'families').

Would be grateful for your thoughts.

thanks

I would go for the bigger one, its not a vast difference in price and it will suit her for when she entertains her friends.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Sue, since winning mine in the competition on here, I have not used the kitchen cooker oven for anything! Although I will on Dec.24th (to avoide the 'C' word).

It's possible to cook a whole chicken in the larger one, though it won't fit into the small one I have. I have cooked chicken legs & wings in the skillet though, along with roast potatoes. Heated up pies to perfection in half the time it takes in my little mini oven (now redundant). Made lovely savoury pancakes, and toasted sandwiches...

I'd definately go for the larger one for cooking for more than two people. I'd also get the heat diffuser to go with it, as it spreads the heat more efficiently and prevents burning.

Comment

JayJay the small one suits me on my own, it's fantastic, but I'd definately go for the larger one for cooking for more than two people. I don't have the heat diffuser to go with it, but this sounds great.
        Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
        'Live without regrets'

Comment

I would go for the bigger one too. Last night I cooked some chicken nugget things and chips (at the C&CC at Cheddar...en route to Polstead...slowly) and it was a tight squeeze for one person in the smaller version.

And I'm not greedy...honest!
          Neil

Comment

Defiately go for the larger one. We love ours and it is as Jayjay said, you dont need to use your oven at all. We have done pizza, pies, roast dinner,all cooked to perfection apart from the first roast when i didnt believe the "lowest heat" instruction. I would think it would be ideal for a student, they love the pizza's, jacket spuds etc. My grandson is at Southampton uni and I must say I was very impressed with the set up there. Smashing big kitchen and all very clean. Unlike west London, yuk.

Comment

I would definately go for the bigger one. The price difference is so small but I believe that the advantages would soon outweigh this.

Gail

Comment

Where my daughter the kitchen facilities are delibrately minimal! There is no oven... okay it is the large one! Will go order. Thanks everybody

Comment

Well, I think that you must all eat a lot more than us as the small skillet is perfectly adequate for John & me.

Also the larger one takes up more space in the cupboard.

Comment

Originally posted by wendy View Post
                    Well, I think that you must all eat a lot more than us as the small skillet is perfectly adequate for John & me.

Also the larger one takes up more space in the cupboard.

As I watched the demonstration at Shepton Mallet I was imagining cooking The C*****mas dinner in the van. We really like to include plenty of vegetables and so there was no contest ...... the big one it had to be !!
                    A gentle fall of snow and the dream will be complete.

Gail

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                      Sue,

I'd definately go for the larger one for cooking for more than two people. I'd also get the heat diffuser to go with it, as it spreads the heat more efficiently and prevents burning.
                      JayJay whats this diffuser? where can I get one, thanks
                      'Live without regrets'

Comment

I think Jayjay is at Polstead now, I'm sure she set off today.

The heat diffuser is available from the manufacturer of the double skillet -here.

BTW, the new van looks great too, a big difference to the romahome. The extra space is a big plus, the downside is not being able to use some car parks etc. but it definately works for us going for something bigger!
                        Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Hi glenw thanks for the info regarding the heat diffuser, I will order one, yes love my new van, love the space after the C15, had no problem as yet parking, was in a B&Q car park yesterday (disabled parking bay) just a little hang over, love the 2.5 turbo, and it has brakes?
                          'Live without regrets'

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X