This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Van heaters

Hi all, we have just bought a Romahome Duo Outlook which we are really enjoying. We would like to go away for weekends thoughout the winter. We have a fan heater for when we have electric hookup, but we may not always have that. We have been looking at the small Colemans butane heater. Does anyone have any experience of using one of these? Are they safe to use in a small space. How effective are they? Or does anyone have any other ideas.

Cheers Mo

Hi Mo

I will watch this thread with interest because it is something we could do with knowing too.

We have looked at the small butane heaters but they always say they should be used outdoors only, so it worries us that they would not be safe in the van.

I think anyone who invents a safe, gas powered heater will make a fortune!

Comment

Hi Paulene, we have a cylindrical thingy that sits on top of a small camping stove which we used when we were camping. That worked very well but it gets quite hot, and I wouldn't want to use it on the stove in the van as I would worry it was too close to the cupboard above it. If we can't find a solution it will definitely limit our trips away to hookups only.

Mo

Comment

hi all,You can get catalyltic gas heaters that are safe to be used inside but you need good ventilation as they use up oxygen and as with all gas burners produce water vapour to cause condensation.We need a heater for our duo hylo,we have just come back from our first winter camp and had to resort to the hairdrier to heat the van!!
        joe
        If you feel life is uncertain always eat your pudding first!

Comment

I just used to put the grill on for a wee while! And the gas kettle on the top to heat some water while I was there - for the hot water bottles!

Something like this
          http://www.cnmonline.co.uk/Igenix-Th...-pr-36236.html
          is useful when on EHU, just sit on top of your closed cooker lid.. that's where the heat is supposed to be anyway and heat in no time! And you can leave it on low all night if necessary!
          Last edited by jayjay; 13-11-2009, 13:35.

Comment

I have a little electric blow heater, however I find it is very noisy and do not leave it on for safety reasons, so an oil filled Igenix thermostat mini radiator like jayjay shows above seems to be the answer, I will watch this thread for ideas as this is what I require.
            Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
            'Live without regrets'

Comment

I fitted a Webasto diesel heater to my Bongo a couple of years ago - magic bit of kit. Although, I did make it more difficult for myself by buying a 24v model !!

Reason for this was - it was fairly local - brand new - and came with the complete fitting kit. I paid about £350, which was half RRP price.

I did have to build a 12v / 24v switching circuit to utilise the leisure battery in series with the starter battery to give me the required 24v - and also to act as a spit charge relay when driving - but it has worked out very well. The hot air outlet nozzle is just inside the sliding side door - the bonus to this is it can be swivelled around to heat the side awning. As we use the awning to live in when camped, and only use the Bongo to actually sleep in, this system works well for us.

I chose the Webasto heater instead of the Eberspacher variety because it seems more tolerant to voltage variations, and doesn't seem to lock out.

Not a cheap option - but if you intend to keep the van, certainly an option to consider. I first came across the idea from Viv's van on one of our first Group meets - it was cold outside, but their van was like toast - and I was instantly sold on the idea. I think it uses about a teacup of diesel per hour, and pumps out up to 2kw

Mike

Comment

When on hook up I use a mini oil filled thermostatically controlled heater,

Otherwise, as JayJay turn on the gas cooker and make a brew! Thick curtains, warm to touch fabrics on seats and flooring etc, and I sleep inside a fleece blanket with my duvet/bag so no cold spots.

My husband and I were always warm, and I still am more so since using fleece blankets on cushions for sitting etc. I also have a curtain that covers the luton area, this helps to reduce the amount of area to be warmed, and close the cab curtains.

Other solution, have a couple of Hot Toddies, They certainly help

Comment

Romahome have obviously taken on board customers comments(as they always do) as the Webasto is standard now in the R40 and R25. Does the Dimension not have the heater Pauline?

Tony Anchorman

Comment

Originally posted by anchorman View Post
                    Romahome have obviously taken on board customers comments(as they always do) as the Webasto is standard now in the R40 and R25. Does the Dimension not have the heater Pauline?

Tony Anchorman
                    No Tony ours doesn't. It is an optional extra when you order the van and ours was second hand when we bought it so the original owner must have thought they didn't need it. Yet they had all the other extras.

Comment

My van has a Propex but I haven't managed to get it working yet. I carry a fan heater and always opt for EHU in winter. The noise doesn't bother me if it runs all night, I can sleep through anything. Used to use one in the Freedom caravan I had, as that had no gas heater. Leave it on 1Kw overnight if it's very cold, but it has a thermostat so cuts in and out as necessary.

I have it on the floor though, it's always my feet that feel the cold most,and hot air rises.

Not a fan of the oil filled rads - used to use one in my motorhome a few years ago, but found it fell over easily, got very hot to the touch, and it was a two hand job to lift as quite heavy and my hands are small. Dropped it on my toe once and after that (can't imagine why) it stopped working - I'd only had it about 9 months so not a good buy.

Going back on topic to non-EHU heating - when it has been chilly and we needed something in units with no gas heater I have resorted to putting a ring or the grill on for half an hour or so to take the chill off before bed or while we got dressed in the morning. I also have a CampinGaz parabolic heater which I've used (when I've remembered to pack it) in the same way - I woudn't leave it on all night for safety reasons (fire hazard and CO poisoning).

Comment

Whatever you use, be careful. One night we could not get the heating to work so we left a fan heater on the floor in the 'entrance well' of our Outlook one really cold night. A corner of the quilt fell on it and the smoke alarm went off. There was a real danger of the bedding catching fire. Fortunately it just singed it and the alarm woke us up in time.

We went out and bought an oil filled radiator which we carry for emergencies but we generally just use the heating that is installed and it is really effective.

We also have a fire extinguisher which hangs on its holder on one of those small metal radiator washing rails that we hang on the pelmet of the van.

Comment

B&Q currently have a good selection of small heaters, including a mini oil filled radiator.....

I am hoping Santa brings me one
                          Last edited by aggsnrog; 18-11-2009, 11:55.

Comment

We tried using the catalytic type of gas heater which Joe mentions earlier in this thread. It is 'safe' in that it has no naked flame, however it always gave us a headache when left on for any length of time - no doubt the shortage of oxygen. We had previous used it in trailer tents where there was more ventilation and it did a great job.

I since fitted a Propex 2000 and never looked back. With the new Gaslow system it costs around 15p an hour to run full on - that's if you could stand the heat for an hour!!

One of my next projects will be to fit an external gas point on the back of the van so the catalytic heater can be used in the awning. - (visions of a heated all-over-wash room - better make sure the curtains are shut properly!!

Comment

can you please tell me what size gaslow cylinder that you have managed to fit

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X