As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kindle

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kindle

I have just taken the plunge and brought the kindle and case, via smh thought it would be good for my 15 weeks in Turkey save carrying for those books

Oh well done Joan - a bit of new technology will do you no harm!!!

I think that's an excellent idea when you think how much reading you do! Good luck with it and let us know how you go on.

Comment

Hi Joan

Thanks for buying via the forum, that will earn us a bit of commission to help with our running costs.

I hope you enjoy your Kindle, let us know how you get on with it.
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Kindle

Originally posted by lunnie View Post
        I have just taken the plunge and brought the kindle and case, via smh thought it would be good for my 15 weeks in Turkey save carrying for those books
        Good Luck with it and Please let us know Your Marks out of Ten for it
        Gunerdoo Do It Tomorrow ?

Comment

kindle

Iv'e also ordered 2 via the forum, just waiting for the post man to deliver.Also got half adozen books lined up, so really looking foreward to the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by taxi irene View Post
            Iv'e also ordered 2 via the forum, just waiting for the post man to deliver.Also got half adozen books lined up, so really looking foreward to the experience.
            Thanks very much, it is really appreciated.

Hope postie comes soon so you can start enjoying them.
            Graham
            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Kindle

I am all for technology but what are you doing taking it to Turkey? I have been there twice and for me there was never enough hours in the day as there was so much to see. I personally prefer talking books as you can still listen whilst doing other things and avoid taking your eyes away from the scenery. In any case you can switch it off at will and then go back to where you left it.

Comment

Hi, I actually spend between 12 and 15 weeks there every year. And the scencery is stunning, I go a boat at least 4 times per week, but as I am on my own, I dont always go out in the evenings, as I have my own place and I just love to sit and read, and look up at the beautiful mountains. I generally only read when I am away. Plus I am sometimes bad at sleeping so a book is the best thing for me.

I read when I camp before I go to bed. Plus it will be good on the plane and airport.

Where in Turkey do you go or have been?

Comment

Kindle

In the middle eighties we took a two week holiday in Marmaris, Turkey was just beginning to become a Holiday destination. The local currency was about 3,500 lire to the £. Marmaris was largely undeveloped, the beach was very small and the hotels were somewhat basic. Food was cheap. We loved it. We used local excursions rather than those sponsored by the tour operator. The Turkish were very friendly and we just about got by with the language difference. One trip to Bodrum was rather memorable and we returned to Marmaris at 4.30 the following morning. We squeezed quite a lot in that day. We also ventured on several boat trips. There was a three day tour to Istanbul but decided not to go as it would have left us a bit short of cash. On the very last day we took the boat to Rhodes and only just got back in time for the bus to Dalaman for the flight home. Good job we had already packed. The following year we returned for a three week holiday and as the lire/£ had doubled, booked that tour to Istanbul. We were not disappointed and again spent every minute on the move. The only book I picked up (and purchased) was a copy of a book used by tour guides printed in English. I still have it somewhere. I think we visited most of the resorts on the Mediterranean coast, together with Pamukkale, Ephesus and various other places. So you can understand why we did not do much reading.
                  Last edited by HansZinderfaan; 20-12-2010, 17:11. Reason: Forgot the title

Comment

Hi, I first went to Turkey in 1995 Kusadasi so did Ephesus and Pammukle then, 1997 Side and did the trips etc, But in 1998 discovered Turunc, which is over the mountain from Icelmer and Marmaris, again did all the local trips etc, but just fell in love with the place and have been returning every year, in 2006 I took on a long lease apartment, so now feel very much part of the village, September saw me going to Fethiye my friends brother has a hotel there and toured the area for a few days, would just love to do Cappodoccia and the Silk trail, but dont fancy it on my own, but my husband and me had intened to do it, he asked my to drive the Romahome to Turkey so that we could discover the delights of this country, but sadly he died, and I need to share the views, not quite the same on your own.

I love to read, I dont sunbathe on the beach, nor do I lounge around a pool I have 2 large large outside rooms of 16ft x13ft on the 3rd floor and surrounded by the beautiful mountains and I can see 360degs of the village and sea, if I am not on the boat then I am there sitting reading and looking and admireing the beautiful views, watching the goats,sheep,chickens and cows, I am in heaven Turunc is a magical place I have my favourite boat and captain whom I have known 12yrs and he is only just 30yrs now, if he goes out 7 days per week then I am on his boat, my name in the village is 'the boat lady' or Phil's mum and I am more than happy with both lol

Comment

Hi my Kindle is faulty!!! which is no surprise to me as me and electrical items just do not mix!!!

Amazon are sending me a replacement Kindle, and I obviously have to return this one.

Will say that once I charged it up about 3hrs it worked and said Hello Joan! great I thought, read through the blurb and set about d/l books, which were practically instantous, I was really impressed. Then the next day decided to have a go at the reading matter, it refused to switch on, found out the procedure for this failure, but it repeatedly crashed. Seems that there has been quite a few with this problem, but Amazon will keep replacing, until you have a good one

So in 2011 hopefully I should be able to say just how good or not a Kindle is.

Comment

Thats a shame, at least Amazon are being good about it, they usually are.

I got a new mobile phone recently and it has an i-book function on it. I must say, I'm impressed so far. I found a free download of lots of classics, I'm reading 'Jules Verne - 20000 leagues under the sea' at the moment but there are loads of others. The only thing I have noticed, which shouldn't be a problem with the kindle, is the screen is a little small on the phone so I can't imagine I'd be reading on it for hours at a time, but then, I don't get hours at a tme to read anyway!!!

Good luck with the replacement kindle, keep us informed!
                        Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
                          Thats a shame, at least Amazon are being good about it, they usually are.

I got a new mobile phone recently and it has an i-book function on it. I must say, I'm impressed so far. I found a free download of lots of classics, I'm reading 'Jules Verne - 20000 leagues under the sea' at the moment but there are loads of others. The only thing I have noticed, which shouldn't be a problem with the kindle, is the screen is a little small on the phone so I can't imagine I'd be reading on it for hours at a time, but then, I don't get hours at a tme to read anyway!!!

Good luck with the replacement kindle, keep us informed!
                          I have had a Kindle for Christmas and I am very excited, I have 3 daughters, one is book mad so rang her up and told her, she knew what it was and said she certainly wouldn't want one as she likes to feel the pages of a book, daughter no.2 thought it was a sewing machine and daughter no.3 had no idea what it was. I have now registered it and have down loaded my first book

Comment

My only problem with the kindle is the year's warranty. Rather a short length of time for something that is initially expensive and 2 year warranties are more common now.

Comment

Originally posted by lunnie View Post
                              Hi, I first went to Turkey in 1995 Kusadasi so did Ephesus and Pammukle then, 1997 Side and did the trips etc, But in 1998 discovered Turunc, which is over the mountain from Icelmer and Marmaris, again did all the local trips etc, but just fell in love with the place and have been returning every year, in 2006 I took on a long lease apartment, so now feel very much part of the village, September saw me going to Fethiye my friends brother has a hotel there and toured the area for a few days, would just love to do Cappodoccia and the Silk trail, but dont fancy it on my own, but my husband and me had intened to do it, he asked my to drive the Romahome to Turkey so that we could discover the delights of this country, but sadly he died, and I need to share the views, not quite the same on your own.

I love to read, I dont sunbathe on the beach, nor do I lounge around a pool I have 2 large large outside rooms of 16ft x13ft on the 3rd floor and surrounded by the beautiful mountains and I can see 360degs of the village and sea, if I am not on the boat then I am there sitting reading and looking and admireing the beautiful views, watching the goats,sheep,chickens and cows, I am in heaven Turunc is a magical place I have my favourite boat and captain whom I have known 12yrs and he is only just 30yrs now, if he goes out 7 days per week then I am on his boat, my name in the village is 'the boat lady' or Phil's mum and I am more than happy with both lol
                              Lunnie - your trips to Turkey sound magical, and your apartment perfect. I hope you get your Kindle problem sorted out and start to enjoy your books soon. John and I are avid readers, when flying overseas, weight restrictions mean our holiday bags usually contain just underwear and books! The motorhome is wonderful, an absolute tardis when it comes to storing books!

Happy New Year to all!
                              Mary

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X