As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TV for van

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV for van

where do I get a TV for my wee van and does it need to be a special kind.

I do have electric hook up but dont plan on paying over the odds for it so will be using the spare battery that is hooked up, if this is possible

cheers

Joannie

I bought one of these a couple of years ago. Lovely picture, but the DVD/cd drive started scrunching disks so I have a separate DVD player. I run the tv from the leisure battery, usually with an indoor aerial.

http://www.wedodigital.co.uk/product...meos-dvdm133b/

Comment

The one I bought is in the thread below! And still going strong!

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...ght=television

Comment

We used a 15" flat screen TV with built in freeview & DVD (£130 from Tesco) and had a wonderful picture.

This was powered from the leisure battery via an inverter that converts 12v Battery Power (DC) to 240v Mains Power (AC). As could any small wattage appliance.

But although we put the TV back into the box with all of the padded packaging, the screen cracked, presumably from travelling.

We now use a dongle bought from e bay for @ £9 that plugs into a lap top and give you freeveiw TV. And as the lap top folds flat and is designed to be portable, this should travel better and be smaller and easier to store.

Roll on the Spring !

Comment

We have this one but it doesn't seem to be available now, we are very pleased with it.
          http://astore.amazon.co.uk/smallmoca...ail/B000JMKDEW

I would recommend getting one with a DVD player, if the TV signal is patchy we just put on a DVD rather than fiddle with an aerial. You can always get the news and weather on the car radio.

This one looks similar to ours (but available), it seems to have good reviews
          http://astore.amazon.co.uk/smallmoca...ail/B000YOZDC2
          Last edited by Derek; 05-01-2011, 20:06.
          Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

thanks

thanks for all the replies, going to have a wee look now and buy one

Comment

If it doesn't come with it's own bag, you could always do what I did, which was buy a laptop bag. Provided it's not too big, it will fit in there and be protected from bumps and knocks on your journey. I bought mine from B&M's (cheapie shop) for about £7.

Comment

just found this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/9-5-Portable-D...item4153b06c8e

which is practically identical to the one I have! But see note below... Just in case you haven't got one yet.

PS the one above states only analogue signals to the TV - what you need is one with built-in DVB-T, which is digital tv. Wondered why it was cheaper!
                Last edited by jayjay; 06-01-2011, 11:30.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                  If it doesn't come with it's own bag, you could always do what I did, which was buy a laptop bag. Provided it's not too big, it will fit in there and be protected from bumps and knocks on your journey. I bought mine from B&M's (cheapie shop) for about £7.
                  What a brilliant idea JayJay, never thought of that and I have a spare laptop bag doing nothing, see if my TV fits
                  Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                  'Live without regrets'

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
                    What a brilliant idea JayJay, never thought of that and I have a spare laptop bag doing nothing, see if my TV fits
                    Yes, same here...must try that. When I take my TV it's still in the box, when I could be using one of my old laptop bags to carry both it and a few other things.

Thanks jayjay
                    Neil

Comment

Thanks for the praise! LOL!

My TV folds up and is a very similar to a laptop. The case I got also has room for all the connectors and twiddley bits, CDs and DVDs. The bag has kept it all safe and free from damage for a few years now.

Comment

Originally posted by tacobell40red View Post
                        where do I get a TV for my wee van and does it need to be a special kind.

I do have electric hook up but dont plan on paying over the odds for it so will be using the spare battery that is hooked up, if this is possible

cheers

Joannie
                        Hi Joannie just come accross this at Dixons same at Currys by the way....... great price for TV with DVD

http://www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/essenti...68808-pdt.html
                        Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                        'Live without regrets'

Comment

What are the pros and cons of portable TV versus a USB TV Adapter for a laptop, such as this

The USB adapter looks to be the much less expensive option. Would probably need an extra aerial in certain areas, but then the TV probably would too
                          Mary

Comment

Originally posted by Vanderella View Post
                            What are the pros and cons of portable TV versus a USB TV Adapter for a laptop, such as this

The USB adapter looks to be the much less expensive option. Would probably need an extra aerial in certain areas, but then the TV probably would too
                            Yes...and using the laptop means one less item to take on-board.

My TV was a present, so I have both. The advantage the TV has is that I can run it from the 12V engine battery when not on EHU, using the supplied plug. To do that with the laptop I'd have to use the 12V->240V inverter, which is less efficient, or run it off the laptop battery which I'd rather not do.

Oh...and my laptop speakers are broken, which is another reason for using the TV
                            Neil

Comment

My laptop speakers are a bit tinny - but I do have additional travel speakers that are quite good. Also my laptop battery is worn out, and it does not like working unless on the mains, so two good points there!
                              Mary

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X