Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar Panels

Hi

Has anyone tried using a solar panel ? Are they any good ? and where did you fit it .
    Thanks for your help .

Hi Dave

There has been a discussion about solar panels in the past you might find this thread interesting until someone else comes along to answer your question.

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...ht=solar+panel
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Romahome R25 SOLAR PANEL

HI Dave We bought a 18w panel from towsure keeps the battery topped up.
      we have a 10inch colour TV also we got a 150w inverter to charge the shaver and phone so far the panel works well.I would not buy a panel less than 18w

Brian

Comment

I have a problem with ever getting a picture on my tv what kind of ariel have you got?

Comment

T v aerials

HI Megan We have a Magic Circle it has a built in signal booster works off 4 four AA batteries. We found it worked better than a outside aerial
          BRIAN

Comment

Originally posted by davebull View Post
            Hi

Has anyone tried using a solar panel manufactured by
            solar panel manufacturers ? Are they any good ? and where did you fit it .
            Thanks for your help
            Well I am still not huge fan of solar power..it is bit expensive and not much efficient too..
            Last edited by LeandroBoug; 20-09-2014, 05:57.

Comment

Originally posted by LeandroBoug View Post
              Well I am still not huge fan of solar power..it is bit expensive and not much efficient too..
              Actually they are incredibly efficient at keeping the leisure battery topped up.
              I only have a 12w one, like the previous owner of my 'van, but have it operating attached to the battery all the time, even at home on the drive, sometimes switching to front or back windows, depending where the sun is strongest- if there is any! - but i don't worry about that too much
              It certainly doesn't need full sun as such, just propped up in the window, reasonable daylight is ample.
              I have motor movers, and run lights off the battery, the fridge when on the move, and a bit while stopped, and charge up various gadgets. And it keeps beavering away doing its' job - and leisure batteries are deep cell, so they function best, and live longer if always kept at full power.

But to actually power van/motorhome systems directlyI think a pretty comprehensive array is needed - do see the posts mentioned.
              I think unless you regularly camp hook-upless, it's a bit of a performance and expense, unless you like doing that sort of project.
              My little marvel cost just £12.
              Last edited by rugmike; 19-09-2014, 23:26.

Comment

We've got a 40w monochrystoline one made by Bosch. In full sun I've seen it hit 3amps but usually 2.5amps. The controller I made disconnects it when the voltage reaches 14.2v.
                The amperage drops off rapidly when the sun goes in maybe down to 100ma.

We use a TV off an inverter for a couple of hours at night, also water pump, 12v lighting and phone chargers and it's recharged the battery by 11am if it's sunny

Comment

Originally posted by Mr T View Post
                  HI Dave We bought a 18w panel from towsure keeps the battery topped up.
                  we have a 10inch colour TV also we got a 150w inverter to charge the shaver and phone so far the panel works well.I would not buy a panel less than 18w

Brian
                  Surely you can charge a phone and a (presumably battery) shaver from 12 volts?
                  If you do you will use far less from your leisure battery than using a wasteful invertor!
                  Only use invertors for items which MUST have mains voltage. You CANNOT raise voltage without "losing" or "wasting" electricity.

Most modern electronic items including TVs have an un-invertor (transformer) built in to reduce mains voltage to BELOW the voltage of a leisure battery.
                  So WHY use an invertor?
                  You just have the wrong TV!

Jim.
                  Last edited by Twolitre; 20-09-2014, 10:08.
                  Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

We got a free 12v TV with the motorhome but it's sh1t. We use our Samsung 18" LED backlit TV that will play all kinds of video file off a 16Gb sd card. Yes inefficient but worth it. It takes about 1.7 amps.

Our old 15" LCD TV was flourescent backlit and took just over 2 amps.

Comment

If you are talking about 1.7Amps at 240 volts that is 408 Watts. Which means that even at an impossible 100% efficient invertor output the 12Volt battery must supply 408Watts at 12 volts and that is 408 divided by 12 which is 24 Amps. Enough to flatten a typical battery in 3 or 4 hours.
                      Jim.

Comment

No. The inverter takes 1.7 amps from the battery when the TV is on. The TV takes 152ma at 230vac.

The rough rule is to measure the TV amperage at 230v and then times it by ten for the battery drain.

Comment

Thanks Fletch.
                          Very interesting.
                          The input of your TV is much less than I expected but since Watts (power) is the significant factor and Watts is Amps times Volts then your TV takes 230x1.7 Watts input (391) and your (nominal) 12Volt battery must supply 391/12Volts which is 32.6Amps. Considerably more than your "multiply by it by ten".
                          If your voltmeter(s) give a vastly different story with a small allowance for efficiency there is a problem with the meter.
                          Jim.
                          Last edited by Twolitre; 21-09-2014, 06:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
                            Surely you can charge a phone and a (presumably battery) shaver from 12 volts?
                            If you do you will use far less from your leisure battery than using a wasteful invertor!
                            Only use invertors for items which MUST have mains voltage. You CANNOT raise voltage without "losing" or "wasting" electricity.
                            ......................Jim.
                            It may make people wince and shake their heads, but, being a bit of a Mr. TechDunce, I try most things on a 12v , and haven't yet [x fingies] had one blowup/malfunction ........ although sometimes it just doesn't charge.
                            I also use a PowerMonkey, which is very successful, especially with smaller stuff like phones. It even charged my laptop and Fire tablet enough to get a bit of use . [ I also have & use a little solar charger to keep this charged up all the time.
                            But certainly the shavers / phones etc... will charge direct from car/leisure battery.

But I do keep the leisure battery continually trickle-charged up all the time with a 12w window mounted solar panel, which has so far been up to the job.
                            In fact, thinking about it, I may install one on front and back windows permanently, perhaps switching between the two.

Comment

The inverter uses 1.7 x 12 = 20.4w

The TV uses 0.152 x 230 = 35w

What's I think's gone wrong here is that my ammeter in the van goes from 0 - 30 amps so to read off it a small current is inaccurate.

Logic tells me the inverter must be pulling at least 3amps (36w). As it's Sunday and I've got nothing else better to do I'm going to measure it accurately.

I'll be back

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X