As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wi-Fi

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wi-Fi

Not so much a gadget, more like free software.
    When in France in Campsites and using the laptop to get on line, I've found sometimes you have to sit at reception to get Wi-Fi as the signal is not too good. Am looking for a range extender to increase the signal, but have also found some freebie software which finds loads of Wi-Fi signals. Finding about 10 locally when using the usual search in windows, but finds 32 sites when using the software!

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Tony Anchorman

Originally posted by anchorman View Post
    Not so much a gadget, more like free software.
    When in France in Campsites and using the laptop to get on line, I've found sometimes you have to sit at reception to get Wi-Fi as the signal is not too good. Am looking for a range extender to increase the signal, but have also found some freebie software which finds loads of Wi-Fi signals. Finding about 10 locally when using the usual search in windows, but finds 32 sites when using the software!

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Tony Anchorman
    I've just checked out the site but unfortunately it's for windows and i have an apple mac. I did however buy a o2 mobile broadband dongle which I can pay daily for(£2.04 for 24 hours/500mb) I've only tried it at home with my main home router switched off and it works fine. I'm trying it out again at my aunt's this weekend(she has no computer) hopefully after that I can take it away with me in my little van. Pam

Comment

Originally posted by anchorman View Post
      Am looking for a range extender to increase the signal
      Hi Tony, is this what you were looking for?
      WiFi Antenna
      Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

Derek

I think that one works from the router end. The problem I have is my laptops wi-fi is inbuilt. I will buy a usb dongle and follow something like these

Crudest version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_12BekpP1c

A little bit more refined

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDVyd...eature=related

Definitely the 2nd video.

Tony Anchorman
        Last edited by anchorman; 11-02-2011, 18:20.

Comment

I think you can get a dongle with an exterior aerial connection and use the aerial

Comment

Like this Dongle with aerial

Comment

Derek

Think I'll go for one of those and buy this also

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...d=0CFYQ8wIwBA#

Then if not good enough will play with parabolic dish attachment.
              I love a project!
              Let you know the results.

Tony Anchorman

Comment

Will watch this with interest

It can get boring sitting in MacDonalds carparks in France just to get a wifi connection.

Comment

Pam

I have an Orange broadband dongle about £15 pound a month which I am about to cancel, because of the fact there is a sim in it and when I use it some muppet keeps sending me a text to it and incurring a charge.
                  The reason for the wi-fi booster apart from France is that my broadband supplier is going over to BT and I will use BTOpenzone and BT Fon where available when out and about in the UK.
                  BT Fon if you sign up, it makes available a part of your router to other BT customers which also allows you to log on via their routers elsewhere.
                  See map

http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...d&vendorid=Z59

All them light blue 'uns are Fon Hostspots.
                  There are quite a few around some campsites.
                  Anyone out there using this facility?

Tony Anchorman
                  Last edited by anchorman; 12-02-2011, 09:42.

Comment

Some tips for good long-range Wifi:

Buy an external USB wifi adapter that has a connector for an external antenna, the Alfa ones seem all the rage. I've heard tale of cheap, copies rather than the real thing so would be cautious of the cheapest on Ebay.

Be aware that if you buy a high gain directional antenna then it will be just that, highly-directional, so will need aligning carefully with the direction of the wifi source (just like you have to align a TV aerial). Probably best to have a higher gain omni-directional aerial (the USB adapter may well come bundled with one) for most cases and use a directional one as a last resort.

At wifi frequencies the coax cable to the antenna will exhibit very high signal losses. Keep it short. You can use a long USB lead to get the USB adapter further from the computer but keep the USB adapter as close to the antenna with as short a coax as possible (<1m is good).

USB cables have a max length of 5m. If you need longer than this you will need to buy a special USB active extension lead or use USB hubs every 5m.

Hi-gain very directional wifi antennas can be quite easy to make - Google 'Cantenna'.

Get the aerial high and in the clear if possible. Optimal might be to have the USB adapter in a sealed box underneath the antenna on a pole outside the van.

Check out Fon - basically you buy a special wifi adaptor for your home use which gives you two wifi access points, an encrypted personal one and an open public one (yes, strangers will be able to connect to it). In return you get to be able to connect to any Fon access point anywhere in the world free. Millions of them - checkout maps.fon.com. BT Openzone customers, I believe, have Fon access for free (but you need to check - I'm not with BT)

We managed to get into a free access point just over a mile away when in Shetland (OK, to be fair we were on top of a hill and had line of sight) so distances can be good.

If all else fails a 3G phone dongle or a tethered smartphone will be an alternative.

Brian

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X