This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sat Nav Mounts

Has anyone tried the bean bag sat-nav mounts?

I would like to hear any success stories with sat nav mounting, not had great success with windscreen stickers, so any advice welcomed.

My Garmin satnav came with a circular disc that you can stick on the dashboard and then the sat nav sticks onto the disc. I prefer as hate having things stuck onto the windscreen, it also saves all of the telltale round marks on the windscreen.

If yours is not a Garmin, a friend bought a similar holder ( from a mobile phone shop) that was designed as a cradle for a smartphone but was adjustable and took his sat nav.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks, yes our's is a Garmin and it did come with a disc which is fine on our campervan, but there is no level surface area on the dash of our car so there is nowhere to stick a disc. That's why I wondered if a bean bag mount might stay put.

Comment

On my Dimension there is a spring clip in the centre of the instrument console that is meant for clipping papers. I find that the Tom Tom sucker fits under the clip firmly, giving me a good view of the screen.

Comment

have a Tom Tom and find that if you dampen the windscreen suction bit it sticks beautifully..... No dampening it does not work and falls off. Mine is now a bit old now.

Comment

I'd never heard of these bean bag mounts so I checked them out on-line! They look pretty good as well.

The one thing I did have thoughts about with them is - are they secured to the dash with anything? Is the satnav secured in the bean bag?

Reason for these questions is because I read somewhere that, if not secured properly, in the event of an impact an unsecured satnav will propel itself at the speed of a golf ball - possibly into the face of a passenger or through a window.

Mine sticks to the window, like Tentpegs, but is very secure once stuck on properly. But then you have to clean the rings off the windscreen! However, having it stuck to the windscreen (to the right hand side of the steering wheel in the corner) means I don't have to take my eyes off the road to look at it.
            Last edited by jayjay; 04-03-2011, 20:43.

Comment

Thanks folks, I take your point Jay Jay, we lived in Canada for 20 odd years, every year people were lacerated in car accidents by having loose skis in vehicles, ski edges can be razor sharp.

Usually think H & S overdone, but you are right, we probably have enough loose stuff to fly around in our van as it is, so won't add to it.

Comment

sorry I hadnt seen this post before. I have one of the bean bag things and its very good. I got it off ebay. the satnav is securely fastened to the base. In the mondeo it tended to slide if I braked firmly as the dashboard was very sloping but in the skoda its never moved an inch.
                Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Got it, love it, adore it,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nav-Mat-DIP-,,,3810142&sr=8-5

used it loads, chuck it on the dash and it doesn't move, I can move it to adjust because of sunlight and its fantastic, highly recommended, but please note not all the bean bag mounts are the same or as good, this one holds my tomtom live sat nav and I love it :so happy:
                  A dog is for life, for loving and forever, and x3 is even better :)

Comment

yes thats the same as mine.
                    Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                      The one thing I did have thoughts about with them is - are they secured to the dash with anything? Is the satnav secured in the bean bag?

Reason for these questions is because I read somewhere that, if not secured properly, in the event of an impact an unsecured satnav will propel itself at the speed of a golf ball - possibly into the face of a passenger or through a window.
                      I would say they are secure, as I can be a bit speedy and mine has never moved even on fast turns, its the weight of the bag and the friction created but the material that helps it stay put, they are recommend by the police and they should know, and if you think about it in the event of an impact the airbag would inflate and be between you and the windowscreen and thats where it sits anyway so theoretically it should just impact the airbag.

I personally have no worries about it being a problem in an impact

And Great minds think a like Robin
                      A dog is for life, for loving and forever, and x3 is even better :)

Comment

The only down side of having something that secures your sat nav in one place is the pleasure you will miss of catching the sat nav in one hand as it comes flying towards you (having become unstuck in transit) and smacking it back on to the window in one deft move

BA

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X