This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

geocaching

Hi - I have just read that some of the campers at Kingsbury are geocaching from the site.
    I bought myself an entry level gps two years ago but had trouble working out how to use it. It seemed a fun way to go walking while away in the camper. Are their any forum members who might be able to advise?

Lizzie

I think it was Caz, Mary and Kipsy, hopefully they will be along to advise you soon, sounds good fun.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

It was me, the others just come along for the dog walking.

I'd be happy to help - what would you like to know?

Comment

The less high-tec version of Geocaching is Letterboxing (from which geocaching derives). If you put letterboxing into a search engine you will learn more. However, most letterboxing is centred around Dartmoor although they can be found all over the country.

http://www.dartmoorletterboxing.org/index.php

Andrew & Sally
        (Letterboxers for 5 years; 1400+ boxes found to date)

Comment

Originally posted by andsally View Post
          The less high-tec version of Geocaching is Letterboxing (from which geocaching derives). If you put letterboxing into a search engine you will learn more. However, most letterboxing is centred around Dartmoor although they can be found all over the country.

Andrew & Sally
          My postman says he can do that in a week!
          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

geocaching

Thank you for your replies.
            I think I need to get out my GPS and instructions again and have another go as I did not get further than putting in batteries and taking it outside to point it at the satellites.
            I do quite enjoy a bit of technology bit my Garmin eTrex H does not seem very user friendly and for some reason the instructions do not appear straightforward. Is there a quick and easy set up and use system I can access just to get me going to find a local geocache - i have joined geocache.com - or to help me record my route when walking so I dont get lost!

Lizzie

Comment

I think Liz is planning to try some of the geocaching apps that are available for iPhones and (in her case) Android phones. We should usually have our phones with us in the van - in fact I'm hoping that a combination of 3G, free wireless access points in pubs/coffer shops and Fon will mean we don't need to take any other form of computer in the van.

Anyone had any experience in using the phone's GPS for geocaching and recommend any particular apps? - otherwise we shall hopefully explore in the summer and report back.

Be nice tyo get letterboxing again too although I suspect there are parts of Dartmoor our legs can no longer reach

Brian

Comment

Hi Liz

I think things may be a little difficult with your particular Garmin model as it has a serial interface to your computer, and that you will have to get to grips with manually entering co-ordinates using the buttons on the GPS unit. The Garmin website says that your model is not "geocaching friendly" (whatever that is!).

I have a Garmin etrex Legend Hcx, which is a fair bit different in operation and friendliness. It has a USB connection to the computer: with Garmin's Mapsource programme I can enter co-ordinates on the computer (avoiding the use of the fiddly buttons on the GPS) and transfer them to the GPS Unit (and vice-versa). Unless you have a spare serial port on your computer (and if it will actually work with your particular model GPS) then you will have to play about with manually entering co-ordinates.

If you just wanted to try out Geocaching then your unit will be fine. We have friends with the same unit and they are more than happy to enter lots of co-ordinates (beware of making a single-digit mistake in references!!)

If, however you want to do a lot of Geocaching, you will need a GPS unit with the capability of bulk uploading / downloading.

Andrew

Comment

Andrew & Sally
                  Ah, that explains a bit of a mystery! A couple of weeks we took our two small grandsons to rented a cottage on a holiday/campsite in Devon, and there were Letterboxes everywhere. I did not quite understand what they were................
                  Mary

Comment

I started off just using my Garmin Nuvi sat nav which works very well but has a limited battery life of 3 - 4 hours, so not very good for long walks away from the van/car, also it isn't as robust as a GPS unit designed for an outdoor life. (Smart phones are used a lot nowadays by geocachers but suffer similarly from battery life and lack of robustness - i.e. they don't like being dropped or getting wet)

I have a Garmin Legend HCX now (like Andrew) which connects by USB to the computer.

The ETrex H yellow one can be connected via a cable that you have to buy separately. Then you can download cache co-ordinates direct from Geocaching.com. I have quite a few geocaching friends who use this model of GPS.

To download caches in bulk you need to become a Premium Member (about £15 a year I think) and can then create a "pocket query" of up to 1,000 caches at a time (although I think the basic Etrex will only take 500) and load this to the handset using a program like GSAK (free to begin with).

Comment

Originally posted by Vanderella View Post
                      Ah, that explains a bit of a mystery! A couple of weeks we took our two small grandsons to rented a cottage on a holiday/campsite in Devon, and there were Letterboxes everywhere. I did not quite understand what they were................
                      If you return to the area again and want to keep your grandsons occupied for a few hours, please feel free to pm me and I will be happy to point you in the right direction - you can join an exclusive club if you find 100 !

Andrew

Comment

If you return to the area again and want to keep your grandsons occupied for a few hours, please feel free to pm me and I will be happy to point you in the right direction - you can join an exclusive club if you find 100 !

Andrew
                        Thanks for the offer - not quite recovered from the previous trip, need plenty of time to recharge our batteries between adventures with grandsons!
                        Mary

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X