This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Campervan clocks?

The thread on essential equipment got me thinking about stuff we took back when we had the C15 and would want to improve on in the R20.

In the C15 we had a really cheap (probably Poundland or similar) LCD alarm clock. It was small (say 4"*1.5") and thin and could easily be stuck on the van wall to provide both clock and alarm functions (useful for the early ferry). Only drawback was to see it at night time you had to get out of bed and press the backlight button.

I'#d love to find a small clock suitable for wall mounting that had a faint enough glow all night to allow reading the time from in bed. I tried one of the Acctim smartlights which seemed to fit the bill but discovered the light function only got turned on when the alarm was also on (what a dumb bit of design).

Anyone got any ideas? What do other people do for time? I guess the answer might just be to make sure my phone is somewhere near where I sleep but a clock would be nice.

Brian

We have one of those cheap ones, too. I have a watch with a light function, so that comes in handy, but there's not so much in the LED market, these days.
    Happiness is a palace on two wheels.

Comment

The only clock with a light I have seen is a radio alarm clock that runs on the mains, the digital display is lit up.
      Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
      'Live without regrets'

Comment

Find an old clockmender and see if he has an alarm with a luminous dial,pre 1960.
        Back then they were still using radioactive paint and it worked.
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
          Find an old clockmender and see if he has an alarm with a luminous dial,pre 1960.
          Back then they were still using radioactive paint and it worked.
          Oh does that mean I won't have to eat my Ready-Brek every day

Comment

Originally posted by g0ukb View Post
            Oh does that mean I won't have to eat my Ready-Brek every day
            . Sorry no! you will get a bigger dose of radiation sitting on a lump of granite all day.
            As well as chilblains.
            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Brian

I use one of these at home

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zeon-Control...m/B000HT1YI6/2

Rugby controlled so never wrong.
              Projects onto the ceiling so don't have to get up to see the time.
              Never thought of using it in the van.

Tony Anchorman

Comment

Originally posted by zaphod View Post
                ... I have a watch with a light function, so that comes in handy, but there's not so much in the LED market, these days.
                I also have a multi-function watch I put under the pillow when in Roma, the only trouble is they designed the switch to disappear in the bezel so in the dark I am pressing all around the edge to try to get it to light up.

The alternative is hang a movement sensitive light in a suitable place, wave an arm or foot to get it to switch on then look at your watch.
                Ann

Comment

In the past I have had to not only switch the light on but also find my glasses to put on so that I can see a clock or watch.

Then I gave up, who cares what time it is when you are on holiday.
                  Graham
                  Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

We have an actim smartlite clock in our van and the light is on without setting the alarm, it has a switch on it to turn the light sensor off too. Maybe yours was an older, or newer design??? We bought it off ebay but it isn't wall mountable. We also realised that when the light was on, the display was only visible at an optimal angle which was never achievable when laid in bed, we had to sit up fidget around to see the time!!
                    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                      In the past I have had to not only switch the light on but also find my glasses to put on so that I can see a clock or watch.

Then I gave up, who cares what time it is when you are on holiday.
                      Same here!
                      If I need to get up for a certain time, I use the clock/alarm on my mobile phone. Also, if close to hand, just pressing any button illuminates the phone and the time is right there on the opening screen.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                        Same here!
                        If I need to get up for a certain time, I use the clock/alarm on my mobile phone. Also, if close to hand, just pressing any button illuminates the phone and the time is right there on the opening screen.
                        Same here too...
                        Neil

Comment

Ah-Ha! Found the very thing for you, G0UKb! A glow in the dark alarm clock from Coopers of Stortford.

click the link and it's two for one!

http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/...-prodst08271i/

Comment

Originally posted by g0ukb View Post
                            Anyone got any ideas? What do other people do for time? I guess the answer might just be to make sure my phone is somewhere near where I sleep but a clock would be nice.

Brian
                            I use my phone. One button and it displays the time. It has an alarm as well, which I rarely use, except to remind me to do something.

Nice to have the phone at hand during the night anyway.

Peter

Comment

Thats a good link Jayjay. Its only 4 inches across so it could be fixed with super strong velcro, it will never fall off the wall then.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X